IGNORED

DK Arcade 2600. New 4-Level Demo!

iesposta

We'll be featuring DK Arcade 2600 on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:

- Space Treat Deluxe (2003) by Fabrizio Zavagli aka rasty
- Backfire (2003) by Chad Lare aka Chadivision
- AVGN KO Boxing (2009) by Devin D. Cook aka Devin
- DK Arcade 2600 (2019 WIP Update) by Michael Haas & Todd Holcomb aka iesposta & Byte Knight

EDIT: Link to YouTube archive of stream

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 3

It's funny - I was at the Science Museum of MN last night where they have a "Game Changers" exhibit full of old arcade games. One of the games I played was a purple Donkey Kong "Pauline Edition" cabinet, and it reminded me of DK Arcade 2600 and that we added the option to play Pauline. I thought "I wonder if iesposta ever released the game?", so it's great to hear that there will be a physical release of this!

BTW, there's some screen roll (at least in Stella) at the start of the conveyer belt level. Everything else seems to work great!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

iesposta,

Please add me on your list to be included/notified when real carts are produced. I would absolutely love to play DK Arcade on a physical cartridge using real hardware! Thanks in advance.

-Steve Mc.

• Like 3

Are you publishing through AA? I'd love to have a physical cart as well.

Not in the “normal way”. AtariAge can’t sell them due to content.

A physical cart has to be on AtariAge’s Melody board because DPC+ functions are handled by the ARM computer chip.

It may be a “thread” post here, or possibly a Facebook group.

A donation covering materials sort of thing gets you a gift.

• Like 7

A physical cart has to be on AtariAge’s Melody board because DPC+ functions are handled by the ARM computer chip.

I’m ready to donate. :)

• Like 2

Yes please add me to any list to donate to this worthy cause :)

• 2 months later...

This is the Donkey Kong I've been waiting for! :D Absolutely brilliant game, it really blows every other Atari 2600 port of Donkey Kong (both official and unofficial) clean out of the water. There's really only two little things I'd like to suggest tweaking before the final release, if they wouldn't be too difficult to implement. 

The first would be to give Mario/Pauline a fixed jump trajectory rather than allowing the player to adjust their jump midair, just since that's how the arcade version and all the official home versions of DK that I know of play. The second would be to allow the player to fall a little further before the game considers it a fall damage death. As it stands the elevator stage requires an incredible degree of precision to jump onto and off of the moving elevator platforms without dying, much more so than it probably should take. 

That's it for my critiques though! Everything else is just phenomenal and I'm pretty sure that anyone who has played this game would agree that it would have been about 100X better to open on Christmas morning back in 1982 than Coleco's official Donkey Kong port. ?

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

I agree with Jin on all his points.  Oh and BTW great work on this.  My only other suggestion would be some work on the fire foxes on the construction level they can be a little tough to deal with.  I'll have to play it again to remember the specifics.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

CONGRATULATIONS to DK Arcade 2600 for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote for your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

206522119_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestWIPHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.88b1dd8e959468bb90b8e842dbeb51da.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Great game! Congratulations!!!
The gameplay is great, the graphics are beautiful and has a lot of fidelity to the Arcade version!
I wish one day I could run it on my UnoCart!
I think I'll need to buy a Harmony!
Is it possible to launch on physical media, the cartridge?

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 8/27/2013 at 2:22 AM, iesposta said:

March 19, 2019 news.

Release Candidate 1

DK_Arcade_2600_RC1.bin 32 kB · 1,234 downloads

I've decided to share "DK Arcade 2600" and post the Release Candidate.

This has sound, item, color differences, along with a fixed Kernel that should eliminate any "flashing ghost playfield pixels" that appear when nearly cycle maximum and that some machines were displaying.

The "latest batari Basic" version from RevEng's thread has this fixed kernel.

Reply in this thread any comments and suggestions - they are all considered, no matter good or bad, or not possible to include! Thank you.

It is also decided by me, the author, that any "Release" will be through this "batari Basic Forum Thread".

If you expressed desire for a real cartridge in this thread, no need to post again. You will be contacted when I have finished cartridges available later in 2019 or next year 2020. Payment will only be taken when finish cartridges are available - made with AtariAge hardware.

This was my first designed game, both because I liked the game, I liked the challenge, and I wanted to show that very good games can be made with the "batari Basic" DPC+ kernel.

- iesposta

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 12, 2014
Two Demo binaries!
You can now play as "The Lady" (created for the 2 women on AtariAge!).
By popular demand, "The Carpenter" moves quicker up and down ladders.
Fireballs descend ladders quicker.
Alarm sound when timer falls below 1000.
Numerous sound updates and bug fixes.
Japanese order only (Levels 1, 2, 3 & 4) that end after Level 4.
The title is a selection screen: Up, down, left or right selections. (Note: American selection defaults to Japanese order for these demos.)

Remember to turn Phosphor Effect (Ctrl-p) on in Stella!

DemoE = easy. As will be the first time though the levels.
DemoH = hard. As will be the increased difficulty the next time through the levels.
DK20141011BcDemoE.bin
DK20141011BcDemoH.bin

October 11, 2014
Second Demo Binary(s) soon!
We have listened to comments and suggestions. I think everything done since the last demo has been an improvement in every area. Gameplay, graphics, sound and music, and options.

List of "bugs" that probably are permanent "features":
- Some odd TIA chips cause a few playfield pixels to blink. Does not affect gameplay.
- Cement Factory level with hammer will show ghost garbage pixels when fireballs climb down due to Intelligent Flicker and virtual sprite vertical alignment. Does not affect gameplay.
- Jumping to the left-most part of the center elevator (descending) player becomes unresponsive to joystick. Affects gameplay.
-Jumping a fireball over a rivet can trap the fireball over the gap. One I had trapped later climbed thin air to the level above and started acting normally - except it was a few pixels below the girder.

September 27, 2014
No binary, but we are still working on this!
Latest binary directly below, in March 1.

rem Note: 9-02-14 Made ditty1 note duration shorter, Opening longer, How High tune ends with harmony.
rem Note: 9-09-14. Started adding Pauline Edition.
rem Note: 9-20-14. Moved pies down in three! different locations.
rem Note: 9-21-14. Fixed 'static' in ditty sounds. Added Pauline climb head wiggle. Fixed broke items grab sounds on elevators.
rem Note: 9-22-14 Fixed "Death scene gone bad Elevator Level". Fixed winning Elevator w/Mario and having Pauline appear below.
rem Note: 9-22-14 New PreTitle Screen layout. Removed a redundant ballheight=0.
rem Note: 9-23-14 Needed to add Pauline Colors in skipmario2. PreTitle Screen has left / right joystick player selection.
rem Note: 9-27-14 Difficulty increases by Byte Knight! New Pretitle Screen removed. Added Harmony to Opening Tune.
rem Switched L/R selection and icon. Screen order progression fixed. Sped up prize sound. Fireballs descend faster.
rem set optimization noinlinedata works.

March 1, 2014
DK23Arcade2600.bin
Bug fixes for the demo:
Ramp Level
Mario shouldn't get stuck in girders any more.
Overlapping barrels shouldn't sneak through the hammer any more.
Increased barrel spawn timer to make the level a little easier.
Moved hammer up and right on top level so you can't grab it from the level below and you can jump straight up and get it.
Fixed Mario jumping bug that would kill Mario after 5 jumps in a row.
Cement Pie Level
Kong has less separation anxiety!
Fixed ghosting of the tops of fireballs.
Elevator Level
Mario won't "fall" through girders on Elevator Level.

February 19, 2014 :cool:
There's a new DK in town called DK Arcade 2600, joining AtariAge member Joe Musashi's phenomenal D.K. VCS!
This playable demo features all 4 levels in full-screen goodness, so check it out!
Brought to AtariAge by members "Byte Knight" and myself, "iesposta."
Binary: DK_Arcade_2600.bin

The playable demo features all four levels but will end after the rivet level (Level 4).

Let us know your thoughts and post your high scores!

The release version will feature:
Japanese and US level order.
Difficulty level increases.
The ability to play Mario or Pauline.

Thanks to RevEng and Bogax for technical help, and Atari Brian for beta-testing.

February 12, 2014
Update.
- Dynamic titlescreen has 1 to 4 Stupid Monkeys on How High Can You Try? depending on level.
- Bonus/Countdown timer has color. Score is 6 digits and white.
- Spinning death sound created.
- Japanese and American order selection (difficulty switch).
- Flicker reduced on top of level 1 by adding 2 playfield screen lines and removing 1 line from The Lady, putting her 7 lines above the barrels. Notice I said reduced. It still flickers a lot but that is where everything happens at once.
- Going "over cycles" fixed by adjusting Overscan time, adding scanlines. Currently stable at 270 lines.
- Custom Score Font. (I know it looks like other games, but I did create each number to match the arcade game.)

February 5, 2014
Let it spin, let it spin, let it spin.
No game, just spinning...
DK21y140201bSpin.bas 2.bin

January 19, 2014
This binary plays levels 1, 2, 4 and then properly goes back to level 1.
DK21y140119f.bas.bin

January 15, 2014.
!! Level 2 pie/cement factory done!!
Binary 1-15-2014: DK21yMKH14cr.bas.bin
>>Positive or Negative Feedback appreciated, especially on real hardware during gameplay (rolling or jittering). Note: It does jitter before Level 4.

JumpmanBLU20130826.bas.bin 32 kB · 667 downloads

JumpmanBLU20130826.bas 22.52 kB · 564 downloads

JumpmanBLU20130915a.bas.bin 32 kB · 555 downloads

JumpmanBLU20130915a.bas 20.44 kB · 527 downloads

JumpmanBLU20130919a.bas.bin 32 kB · 565 downloads

post-29575-0-57725600-1382036633_thumb.jpg

DK26b.bas.bin 32 kB · 631 downloads

DK2600-2013-12-23.bas.bin 32 kB · 526 downloads

DK2600-2013-12-25.bas.bin 32 kB · 584 downloads

Why isn't there a PAL version?