iesposta

DK Arcade 2600. New 4-Level Demo!

We'll be featuring DK Arcade 2600 on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:

- Space Treat Deluxe (2003) by Fabrizio Zavagli aka rasty
- Backfire (2003) by Chad Lare aka Chadivision
- AVGN KO Boxing (2009) by Devin D. Cook aka Devin
- DK Arcade 2600 (2019 WIP Update) by Michael Haas & Todd Holcomb aka iesposta & Byte Knight

EDIT: Link to YouTube archive of stream

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 3

It's funny - I was at the Science Museum of MN last night where they have a "Game Changers" exhibit full of old arcade games. One of the games I played was a purple Donkey Kong "Pauline Edition" cabinet, and it reminded me of DK Arcade 2600 and that we added the option to play Pauline. I thought "I wonder if iesposta ever released the game?", so it's great to hear that there will be a physical release of this!

BTW, there's some screen roll (at least in Stella) at the start of the conveyer belt level. Everything else seems to work great!

• Like 1

iesposta,

Please add me on your list to be included/notified when real carts are produced. I would absolutely love to play DK Arcade on a physical cartridge using real hardware! Thanks in advance.

-Steve Mc.

• Like 3

Are you publishing through AA? I'd love to have a physical cart as well.

• Like 2

Are you publishing through AA? I'd love to have a physical cart as well.

Not in the “normal way”. AtariAge can’t sell them due to content.

A physical cart has to be on AtariAge’s Melody board because DPC+ functions are handled by the ARM computer chip.

It may be a “thread” post here, or possibly a Facebook group.

A donation covering materials sort of thing gets you a gift.

• Like 5

Ahh - I follow. Well, if a group does get created with news about this game, I'd be interested in joining. :)

• Like 1

A physical cart has to be on AtariAge’s Melody board because DPC+ functions are handled by the ARM computer chip.

I’m ready to donate. :)

• Like 2

I am interested in a cart as well.

Yes please add me to any list to donate to this worthy cause :)

Finally revisiting this and was just playing RC1. Wow, what a game! Question though... is there anything that can be done about floaty Mario/Pauline being steerable while in the air? Mechanics are really different than what you expect that way. 

This is the Donkey Kong I've been waiting for! :D Absolutely brilliant game, it really blows every other Atari 2600 port of Donkey Kong (both official and unofficial) clean out of the water. There's really only two little things I'd like to suggest tweaking before the final release, if they wouldn't be too difficult to implement. 

The first would be to give Mario/Pauline a fixed jump trajectory rather than allowing the player to adjust their jump midair, just since that's how the arcade version and all the official home versions of DK that I know of play. The second would be to allow the player to fall a little further before the game considers it a fall damage death. As it stands the elevator stage requires an incredible degree of precision to jump onto and off of the moving elevator platforms without dying, much more so than it probably should take. 

That's it for my critiques though! Everything else is just phenomenal and I'm pretty sure that anyone who has played this game would agree that it would have been about 100X better to open on Christmas morning back in 1982 than Coleco's official Donkey Kong port. 👍

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

I agree with Jin on all his points.  Oh and BTW great work on this.  My only other suggestion would be some work on the fire foxes on the construction level they can be a little tough to deal with.  I'll have to play it again to remember the specifics.