IGNORED

Another 7800 Game to update like Donkey Kong XM?

swlovinist

Just thought I would ask the 7800 community about Donkey Kong XM to see if there would be another title

that everyone would like to see redone. Again I was not involved with the Donkey Kong XM(but am buying

one) just more curious what everyones take would be for another update to be done on a 7800 game that

could have been better...thoughts?

Edited by swlovinist

Not to hijack the thread, but we are still missing some classics like: Missile Command, Millipede, Kangaroo, Defender, Warlords, Tempest & Zaxxon to name a few...it would be great to see Ken, Bob, or Perry work on one or more of these!

If I had to vote for one remake, it would be (and don't laugh) Pole Position II. Love the game and it could even better with voice,improved graphics, and the option to use the racing controller!

• Like 6

I'm sure most of the arcade ports that Atari released back then could be tweeked with better graphics & sound. Expecially when the XM ships. Would like to see the other Nintendo arcade ports with the same polish Perry is giving to DK. A more graphical match to Galaga would be great. The games mmervine suggested would be great as well. I would definitely like to see a Kangaroo port one day. Jungle hunt/Jungle King and the list goes on & on.

I would Vote Karateka as well. It doesn't really need that much work, just to be sped up a bit and have some extra graphics added. The control system is funky, but I remember reading and trying a while ago somewhere that if you run it in an emulator that had an adjustable frame rate, and run it at like 70fps instead of the standard 60fps it runs really well is and much more playable.

Arcade games that don't yet exist on the 7800, I would vote for one or more of the following:

Crystal Castles (the original, not Bob's awesome new platformer)

Gyruss

Defender/Stargate

Spy Hunter

Zaxxon

and some lesser games to consider:

Time Pilot/84

Track & Field

Vanguard

Popeye

Paperboy

Super Sprint

Moon Patrol

Tapper (with the original Bud Logo)

I would vote to convert the audio to POKEY on any [existing] title that also has an A8 version. Heck, maybe even tweak it a bit so the game then uses the POKEY and the TIA for audio like how Commando does. Of course, if any of the games used the Yamaha audio chip [that the XM comes with] in the arcades, then one could also access it via the XM.

Adding the HSC option would also be great. Atari Corp. really should've released the HSC as Atari Inc/GCC originally intended; it was innovative and exactly what the industry needed.

• Like 1

Those are all great suggestions. With the Prince of Persia source code being released, I'm very interested in trying to port that to the 7800.

But I'm pretty sure my next project is going to be an update for Dig Dug. The Yamaha chip will do a great job of reproducing the music. With the Atari source code being available, and the Yamaha version of the music already being completed for the Sharp X68000, it should be a fairly quick project. I've started tracing the X68000 code but still need to figure out how I'm going to extract the sound data and get it into a format I can use.

• Like 11

We need also more NES-era games ...

Gradius/Life Force

Side Arms

Legendary Wings

As for games that need updating ... it'd be good to see the Williams games like Defender, Robotron, and Joust, done properly using the Yamaha and POKEY chips on the XM.

The 7800 also needs a kickin version of Vanguard, right down to the Star Trek and Flash Gordon music, and the voice saying "Bon Voyage"

The only hitch: All the existing 7800 emulators (MESS and ProSystem) need to be updated so that they will emulate the XM's features, including Yamaha sound.

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 3

We need also more NES-era games ...

Gradius/Life Force

Side Arms

Legendary Wings

As for games that need updating ... it'd be good to see the Williams games like Defender, Robotron, and Joust, done properly using the Yamaha and POKEY chips on the XM.

The 7800 also needs a kickin version of Vanguard, right down to the Star Trek and Flash Gordon music, and the voice saying "Bon Voyage"

The only hitch: All the existing 7800 emulators (MESS and ProSystem) need to be updated so that they will emulate the XM's features, including Yamaha sound.

Honestly, I think it would be cool to have a sequel, rather than the actual game just ported over to the 7800. So like a sequel to Jackal or Life Force or (insert name of another AWESOME NES game from Konami lol).