IGNORED

Another 7800 Game to update like Donkey Kong XM?

swlovinist

it wouldn't need a great deal but i would love to see an xm version of Mario Bros, just more accurate arcade colours, cleaner sprites and correct music, It would also be great to see donkey kong junior given the arcade make over be lovely to have all the Nintendo licences looking gorgeous.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Would the XM provide any benefit to 3D/pseudo-3D games? Could it possibly pull off something along the lines of a Blaster port?

You wouldn't need the XM for that. It sounds like you're suggesting the 7800, successor to the 5200, is inferior to it. Now, if you're asking about something like Stun Runner -- that sounds like an interesting question. Again though, of course it could do it, but to what extent or how authentic would the experience be on an 8-bit console? I'd like to see something like that. Edited by KevinMos3

I think Karateka and Double Dragon the two that need to be updated although I think Double Dragon needs to be redone by scratch.

I know there is plans of a cartridge being built to handle 128 to 256k rom games. I think Double Dragon needs to be around 256k in rom cartridge size. Double Dragon needs the YM sound chip the xm has.

The current 7800 version of Double Dragon is missing weapons that are found in the arcade games and I think the characters on the game can be programmed better based the examples I seen in this forum in the past. The current 7800 version also has movies missing.

• Like 1

I'm surprised more people don't want updates to classics with new levels and new play mechanics. We don't really need titles you can already play on NES, on Namco or Konami PS1 Collections, or on any emulator.

It really depends on the game for the Nes. The fact is some Nes games aren't what I call true ports like Rygar, and Ninja Gaiden. The Nes version of Double Dragon is different than the Arcade version.

There is also the fact people some people here in the past assumed games like Mappy was released in the United States, when they weren't. The only way to get Mappy on a United States Game cartridge is by reproduction.

Emulators is a still a touche subject because there is no substitute for the the real thing being played on your television set on cartridge instead of playing it on a computer.

• 3 weeks later...

Galaga would be a title worth considering

Yes! My short list would be:

Galaga

Dig Dug

Joust

Robotron 2084

Personally, I wouldn't want to see any NES games ported to the 7800, especially good NES games. Instead, I'd much rather play some excellent homebrews that developers now want to create. I want a Zelda clone and more shooters. It doesn't have to be Zelda or Gradius, but rather new titles with fresh ideas. I'd like the 7800 to get the games it should have got in the 80s.

• 5 months later...

I'm surprised more people don't want updates to classics with new levels and new play mechanics. We don't really need titles you can already play on NES, on Namco or Konami PS1 Collections, or on any emulator.

I don't mind arcade ports that you can emulate, because there's a different aesthetic, but yeah, in general, I would much rather pay for a new IP entirely or at least something that is a very unique in the same series. The Ninja Gaiden above example is a great one.

It would be nice. :)

3jn1.png

I'll make you a deal...

If you mock up the rest of the car sprites, I'll put 'em in the game (160A mode). Here's the 1st one for you:

post-9364-0-33826500-1397331225_thumb.png

Pole Postion II (Hack).a78

I may use a different blue than in this example rom. It was just for testing. I kinda like $83 like in this screenshot:

post-9364-0-96090300-1397332590_thumb.png

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 6