IGNORED

Another 7800 Game to update like Donkey Kong XM?

swlovinist

7800 Crossbow deserves a complete updated graphics with characters / sprites redrawn from scratch, updated tiles and new colors.

I would like to work on it so I'm giving a first look at the graphics / rom :), however it will be a very long project because currently I'm already working on some 7800 projects.

Awesome. I always thought the colors were horrible.
  • Like 1

I've been following the other thread where 2600 games are getting the trackball treatment. One of my favorites is Centipede. 7800 Centipede already plays so well but it would be perfect with trackball control. Anybody think this is feasible?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243453-atari-2600-trak-ball-games/

And in case may be of interest to try a version with alternative graphics, recently I made a 7800 Centipede hack in which I removed the frame/border around the playfield along with some other graphical update.

Kenfused's Trackball support is included (Thanks again, Ken! :) ).

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/239376-7800-centipede-arcade/?p=3257450

rvXbo5.png

• Like 1

it wouldn't need a great deal but i would love to see an xm version of Mario Bros, just more accurate arcade colours, cleaner sprites and correct music, It would also be great to see donkey kong junior given the arcade make over be lovely to have all the Nintendo licences looking gorgeous.

There's already some work done on this stink pile. It LOOKS great, from what I've seen. That's good. Unfortunately, it still has the quirky, inaccurate play mechanics. :(

Somebody might be working on Pokey sound too (I think better TIA would be a GREAT start).

Mario still jumps stupid, and the characters lack animation like the original 7800. The turtles still don't jump out of their shells.

If you tap the joystick in either direction, Mario moves without changing his step frame.

That entire turd needs reprogrammed. This is an embarrassment. Unfortunately, by the time the 7800 was released, the arcade Mario Bros was forgotten. People either knew the NES (hack) version, from which this was modeled, or they were completely unfamiliar. This version lacks all the cute, polish, and game play elements that made the arcade fun -- especially head to head.

You wouldn't need the XM for that. It sounds like you're suggesting the 7800, successor to the 5200, is inferior to it. Now, if you're asking about something like Stun Runner -- that sounds like an interesting question. Again though, of course it could do it, but to what extent or how authentic would the experience be on an 8-bit console? I'd like to see something like that.

I wouldn't say the 7800 in inferior, but they each have their own strengths. The 8-bits are better at raw power and software sprites. The 7800 has better native sprites and potentially more colors (with less flicker). So, it is possible that one system my have an advantage in a given scenario.

There's already some work done on this stink pile. It LOOKS great, from what I've seen. That's good. Unfortunately, it still has the quirky, inaccurate play mechanics. :(

Somebody might be working on Pokey sound too (I think better TIA would be a GREAT start).

Mario still jumps stupid, and the characters lack animation like the original 7800. The turtles still don't jump out of their shells.

If you tap the joystick in either direction, Mario moves without changing his step frame.

That entire turd needs reprogrammed. This is an embarrassment. Unfortunately, by the time the 7800 was released, the arcade Mario Bros was forgotten. People either knew the NES (hack) version, from which this was modeled, or they were completely unfamiliar. This version lacks all the cute, polish, and game play elements that made the arcade fun -- especially head to head.

I have an almost complete set of POKEY sounds worked up for Mario Bros. I think we were in the process of identifying where in the code to place these. Need to get back to that. :)

• Like 2

I have an almost complete set of POKEY sounds worked up for Mario Bros. I think we were in the process of identifying where in the code to place these. Need to get back to that. :)

That will be cool. I saw some music that I think you posted. Was that Pokey or TIA? It was very good. Just wondering, because I am impressed with what some have gotten out of the TIA.

Having both chips working would be an advantage for sure. Even the 5200 cut out some sounds a times, using just Pokey.

• 1 year later...

Any update on the Rampage remake yet ?

Nothing really since Sep 2015, but just yesterday I started thinking about it again and how I could remake the character sprites within the existing framework. I thought maybe I could re-interpret them according to the arcade within the existing dimensions. Of course they wouldn't look nearly as good as Red's mockups which I started to use back in 2015. However, I really don't have time to be working on it now and probably won't for the foreseeable future (depending on job and such). I did spend a few minutes to do the standing and walking sprites for Lizzie, and below is what I came up with. If someone wants to make new sprites using the existing dimensions, I can put them in the game. That part wouldn't take as much time. It's coming up with the sprites that is so time consuming for me.

post-9364-0-09893000-1496720485_thumb.png post-9364-0-13668500-1496720455_thumb.png

• Like 2

...I really don't have time to be working on it now and probably won't for the foreseeable future (depending on job and such). I did spend a few minutes to do the standing and walking sprites for Lizzie, and below is what I came up with. If someone wants to make new sprites using the existing dimensions, I can put them in the game. That part wouldn't take as much time. It's coming up with the sprites that is so time consuming for me.

Respecting the above, Kevin put together a great breakdown on sprite work for Rampage, complete with a table showcasing how the current sprites align. For any who would like to see a Rampage remake come to full fruition, assisting with the sprites with be a huge step in that direction.

• Like 1

But I'm pretty sure my next project is going to be an update for Dig Dug. The Yamaha chip will do a great job of reproducing the music. With the Atari source code being available, and the Yamaha version of the music already being completed for the Sharp X68000, it should be a fairly quick project. I've started tracing the X68000 code but still need to figure out how I'm going to extract the sound data and get it into a format I can use.

Hmm ... Can CPUwiz's Versaboard support an on-board YM chip? Sign me up! :)