IGNORED

Another 7800 Game to update like Donkey Kong XM?

swlovinist

Its really great the 7800 is getting attention from a whole team of very intelligent and talented people.. its too bad it wasnt 30 years ago you guys together working full time on this I think ya coulda taken down the big N and added 6 zeros to the end of your profits from today's development.

Its mind blowing checking this stuff out. Every day something completely unexpected and amazing!!

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 2

Too bad no one loves moto psycho. . As its a more updated pp2 with hills and whatnot.. nostalgia goggles I guess?

I love Motor Psycho. However, it's one of those games no longer work when you change something. I have a list of games that I would LOVE to hack, if someone can figure out how to make 'em work. (Fatal Run, Rampage, etc.) In fact, I could update Rampage to satisfy all my cravings for that game (except adding en ending). Perhaps someone could take a look at it to see what needs changed to make it work after being hacked. I'd love to update the buildings, dust cloud, and most of all... the monsters (with the ones PAC-MAN RED created).

Curious...Any chance the road signs could be updated as well?

:ponder:

Sure can. I like the Atari Fuji, but if you have a better idea, I'm all ears. :)

Note: I believe the colors of the signs are shared with opponent cars, although I haven't bothered to confirm that yet.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

Not to hijack the thread, but we are still missing some classics like: Missile Command...

You can stop right there! It is criminal that the 7800 didn't get a port of this classic. Hell, the XE had the game built-in.

Also, I long for the day that somebody makes a 7800 Paperboy that blows the substandard NES and SMS ports away.

Sure can. I like the Atari Fuji, but if you have a better idea, I'm all ears. :)

post-18-0-11187800-1397353815_thumb.png

post-18-0-68675200-1397353816_thumb.png

post-18-0-58257500-1397353817_thumb.png

post-18-0-42891400-1397353818_thumb.png

post-18-0-05132300-1397353821_thumb.png

post-18-0-90461300-1397353821_thumb.png

Long signs (Although presumed "impossible"):

post-18-0-28093800-1397353820_thumb.png

post-18-0-99443200-1397353815_thumb.png

Improved turn sign (If possible):

post-18-0-73685000-1397353822_thumb.png

Perhaps change blimp to plane - And tweak the sign:

post-18-0-11040100-1397353964_thumb.pngpost-18-0-66418100-1397353983_thumb.png

And now to officially earn a "flipped bird"...

Start:

post-18-0-27056700-1397354039_thumb.png

Checkpoint:

post-18-0-52768100-1397354035_thumb.png

Let the obscenities commence :grin: *goes hides*

• Like 4

I'd like to see a port of the Namco game "Mappy" ... seems it's already been discussed on the 8-bit forum, and I decided to do my own rendition of the Mappy theme, using 3-channel POKEY in 16-bit mode. It's here (in both 7800 binary and mp3 format):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222932-mappy-on-our-8-bit/?do=findComment&comment=2967175

If this game ever gets past planning, I want so badly to do the music for this. :) Pleeeeease. Addictive game, and the music just gets in your head.

• Like 3

I'll make you a deal...

If you mock up the rest of the car sprites, I'll put 'em in the game (160A mode). Here's the 1st one for you:

attachicon.gifPole Postion (Hack).png

attachicon.gifPole Postion II (Hack).a78

I may use a different blue than in this example rom. It was just for testing. I kinda like $83 like in this screenshot:

attachicon.gifPole Postion II (Hack).png

Thank you Kevin, you're very kind. :)

I made these sprites for my curiosity and then I shared to show the 7800 graphic capabilities in PP2.

I did not think the 160A mode could be of interest but I'm glad you liked it (at least until one of our programmers will want to increase the number of colors ;) ).

In truth, I had added the new sprite in the game but I lost my motivation when I saw that the car and the explosion share the same colors. However the result looks good, and I like the blue car.

I will make other sprites (lateral views) in the next days.

P.S.

I am undecided about the color blue for the car, increasing the contrast between white and blue it seems more evident the reduced number of colors. :ponder:

attachicon.gifPP2-7-11.PNG

attachicon.gifPP2-DAY.PNG

attachicon.gifPP2-DD.PNG

attachicon.gifPP2-NAM.PNG

attachicon.gifPP2-PP2.PNG

attachicon.gifPP2-TANG.PNG

Long signs (Although presumed "impossible"):

attachicon.gifPP2-NAML.PNG

attachicon.gifPP2-ATARI.PNG

Improved turn sign (If possible):

attachicon.gifPP2-TURN.PNG

Perhaps change blimp to plane - And tweak the sign:

attachicon.gifPP2-SIGN1.PNGattachicon.gifPP2-SIGN2.PNG

And now to officially earn a "flipped bird"...

Start:

attachicon.gifPP2-START.PNG

Checkpoint:

attachicon.gifPP2-CPOINT.PNG

Let the obscenities commence :grin: *goes hides*

Robert,

in the code there is the graphics for only one road sign. :(

P.S.

The Atari arcade version has the blimp! :)

c54o.png

• Like 1

Robert,

in the code there is the graphics for only one road sign. :(

P.S.

The Atari arcade version has the blimp! :)

c54o.png

Was going to state/reason that Blimp = PAL / Plane = NTSC...But...

post-18-0-21985400-1397433299_thumb.png

Considering there's only one sign in the game, I'm sure the likelihood of having a blimp and plane is nil.

Wow, all those signs in the Arcade, and down to only one in the port...Thought they were just saving time by having different colors of the same one but could be changed to different things; however, in retrospect I guess that was a silly notion...darn it.....Oh, well.

How about some pokey sound for Mario Brothers? As an incentive, I touched up some of the sprites and colors. This is about as close to the arcade as I could get (for Mario) with the current single high sprites.

• The red of the title screen logo was brightened
  • Mario and Luigi colors touched up
  • The Fireflies got redrawn
  • Added shading to the coins
  • Enlarged the fireballs
  • Brightened the floor by one shade
  • Other minor sprite tweaks

post-9364-0-01040200-1397435857_thumb.png post-9364-0-91780600-1397435758_thumb.png

Mario.a78

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 3

AWESOME...You hit 2 of 3 biggest complaints I have with Mario Bros. graphics on the 7800.

1. Coins - lack of shading

2. Mario and Luigi palette

The one that's left:

3 Turtle Design...

Even the NES has this thin squashed version that did however, get a proper design with the Japanese remake "Kaettekita Mario Bros."

"Fat" turtles would be a beautiful thing.

The one that's left:

Turtle Design...

Even the NES has this thin squashed version that did however, get a proper design with the Japanese remake "Kaettekita Mario Bros."

"Fat" turtles would be a beautiful thing.

The turtles can be up to 11 pixels wide, which leaves plenty of room for improvement. I started working on the turtles, but ran out of time for now. If anyone would like to draw turtle sprites that fit those constraints, I'd be happy to put them in. Also, I didn't have access to the arcade version when I was working on this, so I went off of the NES version. After seeing some arcade enemies, I need to redo the firefly and crab too.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

How about some pokey sound for Mario Brothers? As an incentive, I touched up some of the sprites and colors. This is about as close to the arcade as I could get (for Mario) with the current single high sprites.

• The red of the title screen logo was brightened
  • Mario and Luigi colors touched up
  • The Fireflies got redrawn
  • Added shading to the coins
  • Enlarged the fireballs
  • Brightened the floor by one shade
  • Other minor sprite tweaks

attachicon.gifMario_00.png attachicon.gifMario_01.png

attachicon.gifMario.a78

Suppose I'd better get the opening music and jingle ready now. ;)

Actually, might try playing around with hi-pass filters and such, to see if I can imitate the timbre of the original arcade game music.

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 1

Here's what I've got so far. The turtle is done. The crab needs finished. I haven't checked the Slipice to see if he's aligned correctly, but I made him fatter. If anyone has additional sprites or better sprites than what I've done so far, feel free to share and I'll put em in.

Mario test.a78

• Like 2

Shellcreepers done.

Sidesteppers done.

Fighterflies done.

Slipice done.

This is just my interpretation of the arcade sprites. I'm open to using better sprites from other ppl. Marco, I like your turtle. If you make a complete set, I'll probably use it instead of mine... or I could do an alternate version if you prefer. The crabs (and any other sprites) are open for improvement. I'm just done with "my" interpretations. I haven't checked out the XE fireball yet. I haven't looked at the arcade fireball yet either.

post-9364-0-40346400-1397464391_thumb.png

Mario_h1.a78

• Like 6