IGNORED

Game play pictures on back of box

Master Phruby

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Colecovision was the worst company from BITD as far as vaporware games went....that a full THIRD of all the games on the back of the console box never came out! True?

On 22 screens showed on the back of the box, 9 has never been released

But only those ones remains....

- Mr. Turtle

- Smurf Play n Learn

- Horse Racing

- Skiing (Youki might tackle this one)

But, it really getting worst when you're looking at the flyers in their Press Kits

On 22 screens showed on the back of the box, 9 has never been released

But only those ones remains....

- Mr. Turtle

- Smurf Play n Learn

- Horse Racing

- Skiing (Youki might tackle this one)

But, it really getting worst when you're looking at the flyers in their Press Kits

Yeah, but do we really need a Papa Smurf Treasure Hunt? Or even a Smurf Play & Learn for that matter? When it comes to Smurfs, everyone wants to see Super Smurf Rescue. Every other possible Smurf game would just be a waste of a homebrewer's time and energy, as far as I'm concerned, especially considering that youki has already done a wonderful Smurf game.

Sword and the Sorcerer doesn't look all that interesting, even with the nice graphics. Tac/Scan and Wild Western do have potential when you look at the arcade versions, at least. And what could one do with Mr Turtle, when the available screenshot doesn't say all that much about the gameplay, which implies that a homebrew programmer would have to improvise design-wise? Wizard of Oz doesn't even have a screenshot or mockup to work from...

The point is, not all the vaporware titles are necessarily worth doing in homebrew form. Our small-yet-devoted CV homebrew community should focus on the vaporware titles that really matter: Skiing, Dracula, Super Smurf Rescue, Rip Cord, maybe a couple more...

Oh, and someone should pick up Phoenix and Frantic too. ;)

I agree with you, Luc

Smurf Play n Learn and Papa Smurf Treasure Hunt / Smurfette's Birthday is kind of useless and I too would prefer Super Smurf Rescue

And we have some meat to work from

Tac/Scan and Wild Western need to be done, but we'll have to find a spinner/paddle controller to suit those games first (and many other games could benefit from this)

Luc, you know you're the kind of guy who can make awesome graphics for both Super Smurf Rescue and Mr Turtle. ;)

So those are all yours! :D

I made all graphics for Exidy's Destruction Derby, so yeah, you can bet this one will also get done someday

• 1 month later...

I would love to see someone eventually take a stab at Mr. Turtle. Something that takes into account that "screenshot" of course...on the back of the Coleco box

I have looked at that tiny pic for years and tried to imagine what I would make the game look like. For some reason...my mind always goes to the Super Mario Bros. underwater levels. You remember where Mario has to swim but can still throw fireballs underwater.