IGNORED

Wii U Deluxe $299 - Bye Bye Basic

DaytonaUSA

Just in case you didnt hear, Nintendo announced that the Basic Wii U is now going to be terminated.

Deluxe is your choice, and for fifty dollars less, at $299. This includes either the Nintendo Land bundle OR the Zelda Windwaker limited edition. Yes, you read that right.

The price change takes effect in September. If you want a Wii U, and you can wait, I'd heavily suggest you do so.

I don't think they will anytime soon. They don't offer a compelling feature that is now eliminated like early PS3's did and such. So they're still not going to be desirable.

I wonder if they will roll out a while color as a Deluxe option. Surely must be some out there that are going to want this to match their Wii accessories.

You might be right, Atariboy.

I just look at Limited Edition 3DS units like Pikichu and Animal Crossing and those fetch big dollars right now. The Basic Wii U didn't sell for beans and has been recalled, so I'm thinking that within a year or so the Basic will fetch some good prices to collectors.

But what I can't grasp my mind around is Nintendo saying the price cut won't take place for another 21 days.... if selling 160,000 units last quarter was a failure, then I can't wait to see how many fly off the shelves before Sept 20th. Just doesn't make sense to me; MS or Sony has a press briefing and says a price cut is happening for Xbox/PS3 and state it starts today. But Nintendo says wait for a few weeks and then buy our product at a reduced price.

As I said in another thread, Nintendo is a great gaming company but I really shake my head at corporate decisions by Nintendo since the introduction of the 3DS.

Perhaps but I suspect it's too plain for that to happen unlike limited editions that are intentionally produced and sold for a limited time with an eye from the start of being special. Someday though I'm sure it will.

I hadn't seen that about the price drop taking several weeks to take effect. Seems like a very puzzling and unusual move. Another irritation is that Wind Waker HD, just like New Super Luigi U, will be a digital exclusive for several weeks when it launches.

For a company that many traditionalist viewed as their best friend amid things like mandatory installations, online passes, and other irritations of the modern console environment that have even threatened the very existence of physical media, they're sure hiding it well with decisions like that one.

Edited by Atariboy

I just got the Luigi game so at least I'll be playing it some more soon.

Not sure if a price drop will help at all. It needs games....

On the other hand I'm kind of liking the slow pace of games (even though it hurts the system). It gives me time to enjoy the few I got on the Wii U and keep up with other stuff.

On the other hand I'm kind of liking the slow pace of games (even though it hurts the system). It gives me time to enjoy the few I got on the Wii U and keep up with other stuff.

That's exactly what I've been telling people about the system. As someone who owns all current consoles, there's just too much available to play. If someone only owned the Wii U, I'd completely understand the complaints. The thing is that most complaints I see are either from people who own multiple consoles or people who don't even own a Wii U.

This price drop was inevitable with the XB1 and PS4 just around the corner. At $299, it's in a much better position to complete. I still think it needs to be a little cheaper though, as the market Nintendo has carved out for themselves is one of a secondary console. $299 is still a lot of money for people to stomach after already spending $399/$499.

• Like 1

cimerians, on 29 Aug 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:I just got the Luigi game so at least I'll be playing it some more soon.
Not sure if a price drop will help at all. It needs games....

I just bought Luigi and Pikmin, I ordered Splinter Cell, and I've got 6 games preordered.....and there's still more coming that I want. It has gone from 0-60 almost too quickly.

Somewhat tempting price, but I'll probably still pass. I just took a long, hard look at current and upcoming games and didn't see much.

This seems to be the predominant thinking of many consumers too it seems. Hell the Atari didn't really take off until Space Invaders came out. Wii U needs a killer app or two before it really grabs at consumers.

I just bought Luigi and Pikmin, I ordered Splinter Cell, and I've got 6 games preordered.....and there's still more coming that I want. It has gone from 0-60 almost too quickly.

I'm looking at Pikmin as well but I don't want to pay full price for it. Sad thing with Nintendo games is they hardly if ever go on sale unless they get listed as a greatest hit or something....

• Like 1

I wish it was a better single player game though. Without others to play with, it gets boring quick. If only it had network play.

wii sports was the same way more designed for two or more players... would love 5 players for nintendoland. at most had 3..

wii sports was the same way more designed for two or more players... would love 5 players for nintendoland. at most had 3..

The difference is that Wii Sports was (IMO) fun as a single player experience. I still play Wii Bowling to this day.

I've only played NintendoLand a handful of times and have no real desire to play it again in the foreseeable future.

I was in my local radio shack today and they already had the deluxe for 299$ in case anybody wanted one before September.

That's good to know. Though, if you're going to get one new it might be best to wait for the Zelda bundle.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

Looks like Japan got a white deluxe model a while back. So if anyone cares about color and has white Wii equipment, they're probably going to get a deluxe option here before Christmas.

And they've finally released an official Wiimote charger. Hope that comes over here. The 3rd party devices I've tried always stunk but I like the convenience over removing batteries every few weeks.

http://www.vooks.net/official-wii-remote-battery-charger-set-coming-to-japan-in-july/

Edited by Atariboy

The difference is that Wii Sports was (IMO) fun as a single player experience. I still play Wii Bowling to this day.

I've only played NintendoLand a handful of times and have no real desire to play it again in the foreseeable future.

Nintendoland is a overlooked pack in game that the more you try it the better it gets.. I had the same feeling after ten or so trys then came back to it and did the metroid missions and then the pikman game and completed dk crash course and so on.. much of the game was a surprise and was glad i didnt write it off too early.. Edited by Jinks