IGNORED

ColecoVision Mockups War!

retroillucid

Megaman is one of those game that been nagging me. The one routine thought up and haven't tried yet is using 1 sprite for 4 shots from Megaman. When he fire one shot, that shot remains solid. Then firing a second shot will flicker between 2 bullet. :P. Firing a third shoot will flicker 3 sprites and so on. That way Megaman, shot, enemy, can exist on one scan line. A lot Megaman games have flicker for the NES and GB so gotta keep up with that tradition bfg.gamepassion, I have done megaman explosion before. I can give you the code for that if you want.

blogentry-24767-0-23552000-1367625677.gi

• Like 3

Megaman is one of those game that been nagging me. The one routine thought up and haven't tried yet is using 1 sprite for 4 shots from Megaman. When he fire one shot, that shot remains solid. Then firing a second shot will flicker between 2 bullet. :P. Firing a third shoot will flicker 3 sprites and so on. That way Megaman, shot, enemy, can exist on one scan line. A lot Megaman games have flicker for the NES and GB so gotta keep up with that tradition bfg.gamepassion, I have done megaman explosion before. I can give you the code for that if you want.

blogentry-24767-0-23552000-1367625677.gi

DAMN! Both you and bfg.gamepassion should work together on this Megaman game!!

And you could have Pixelboy and I to help you guys with the graphics

Music/sfx will be piece of cake for this Megaman game!

Just re-used original tunes and sfx

Have you wondered what World of Warcraft would look like for the NES? I think it would have looked like this.

post-24767-0-55298600-1382317629_thumb.png

What about Mickey Manic? Maybe it'll look like

post-24767-0-57424300-1382317701_thumb.png

Wait, sorry. These are NES mock-up not Colecovision.

What if Nintendo wake up one day and decides to make Kid Icarus shoot'em up for the Colecovision? I think it would look almost like this.

post-24767-0-84616000-1382317477_thumb.gif

• Like 3

Out of curiosity, does anyone make mock-ups of games that would not be ports from other systems? Or perhaps most original ideas rather go on to become WIP instead of just mock-ups?

When a CV fan does a mockup, most of the time it's a mockup of an existing game from another platform. This is because it's easier for other people to recognize what the game is. Doing a mockup of an original game (that only the artist knows anything about) raises more questions than it answers about said game. And the most frequent reaction in such a situation is "Yeah, your mockup is great! Now when will it be released on cartridge?". Unless the artist is also a programmer who intends to actually develop the game from scratch, the mockup only raises false hopes.

For a proposed port from another system, there's a sort of unwritten rule where it's implied that the guy who does the mockup is not necessarily the same guy who will do the actual port. So it's like "Okay, here's the mockup of a game I'd love to see on the ColecoVision, and my mockup is compliant with the technical limitations of the CV's graphic chip, so if any homebrewer out there is interested in doing it, you can use my mockup as your guide."

When a CV fan does a mockup, most of the time it's a mockup of an existing game from another platform. This is because it's easier for other people to recognize what the game is. Doing a mockup of an original game (that only the artist knows anything about) raises more questions than it answers about said game. And the most frequent reaction in such a situation is "Yeah, your mockup is great! Now when will it be released on cartridge?". Unless the artist is also a programmer who intends to actually develop the game from scratch, the mockup only raises false hopes.For a proposed port from another system, there's a sort of unwritten rule where it's implied that the guy who does the mockup is not necessarily the same guy who will do the actual port. So it's like "Okay, here's the mockup of a game I'd love to see on the ColecoVision, and my mockup is compliant with the technical limitations of the CV's graphic chip, so if any homebrewer out there is interested in doing it, you can use my mockup as your guide."

In example, Mr Do's Wild Ride mockups (posted earlier in this thread) were made according to the Arcade version

So if you compare it to other consoles ports, it's a way different!

It's fun working that way than just simply port a game

There has been alot of mockups of original games posted in the CV section

Doriath, Sydney Hunter, Super Car and many others

They are simply not in the same thread

Out of curiosity, does anyone make mock-ups of games that would not be ports from other systems? Or perhaps most original ideas rather go on to become WIP instead of just mock-ups?

If I'm using asset from other games, then it stays as a mock-up. I usually make all of my graphics. I LOVE making tileset, but don't like drawing sprites. Making Colecovision Mockup makes it better for me that I'm not constantly thinking about it. I do most of my drawing in ICVGM and CV SPRITE2 so it follows the Colecovision's graphic chip to the letter. I don't like using other people's graphics for my games without their permission. I always want to do the right thing and don't want to get in any trouble. Usually my game mock-up are on paper or in my mind. If I want to make a game, they go straight to game.

I forgot to add "<---click to animate" on the Kid Icarus gif. This is an example of where I created the game under pressure, and skip the mock-up portion. It pretty much like improvising. I just make this game as I think about it, adding features after features.

Ok, cool! I didn't mean to sound snarky, just wondered about any unwritten rules.

To compensate, I redrew a very crude mock-up I made on the VIC-20 a couple of years ago. :-)

post-5454-0-16283900-1382384894_thumb.gif

Obviously it has zero of the elegance of the more polished screenshots in this thread, but could serve as an example of a non-port that is somewhat clear what the game should be about anyway. Of course I could work from an existing rowing game, e.g. the event in Summer Games II but that one doesn't have weather conditions to consider.

Did I mention I am more of a programmer and musician than I am a graphic artist? :-P

• Like 1

OK, let's see what I've got laying around here...

How about this one? I think this looks quite well...post-8393-0-14936300-1382476357_thumb.png

This one, however, might have gone a bit wrong... post-8393-0-19569700-1382476411_thumb.png

This one might actually be a bit tricky to implement... post-8393-0-71454900-1382476447_thumb.png

On the other hand, in this version it might even support smooth scrolling... post-8393-0-51193200-1382476475_thumb.png

(Yes, I know the sprites and the score display are missing in most of them, or have been rendered as part of the background)

• Like 1

Looks good, but you should use less colors for walls and floor

Just a suggestion :)

I don't see a godd alternative: It is a FPS, with 3D graphics and I want to keep the Doom atmosphere. If the ColecoVision had a few more colors, especially shades of gray, and a few graish colors, I might be able to do with less colorful walls.

Philipp