IGNORED

6 button games?

mkiker2089

Ballz
Clay Fighter
Comix Zone
Contra / Probotector (Limited 6 button functionality)
Davis Cup tennis/ Davis cup world tour
Dragon Ball Z
Eternal Champions
Fatal Fury 2
Fever Pitch Soccer
Lost Vikings
Midways Arcade greatest Hits (robotron only)
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2
Mortal Kombat 3
Mortal Kombat Ultimate
Ranger X
Shaq Fu
Samurai Showdown
Street Fighter 2
Super Street Fighter 2
Streets of Rage 3
Technoclash
Zombies ate my neighbours

• Like 5

Sega-16 poster Barone has a list here which includes:

Art of Fighting
Batman Forever
Beyond Oasis (uses Mode button for weapon switching as MODE+B)
Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure
Brutal: Paws of Fury
Clay Fighter
Coach K College Basketball
College Football's National Championship
Comix Zone
Contra Hard Corps
Cutthroat Island
Davis Cup Tennis
Dragon Ball Z: Buyuu Retsuden
Duke Nukem 3D
Dyna Brothers 2
Eternal Champions
F1 World Championship Edition
Fatal Fury 2
FIFA 98: Road to World Cup
FIFA Soccer 96
FIFA Soccer 97
Garfield: Caught in the Act
Greatest Heavyweights
Head-On Soccer
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe (uses Mode button to select strategy)
Jammit
Judge Dredd
Justice League Task Force
LHX: Attack Chopper
The Lost Vikings
Marsupilami
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 3
Mortal Kombat II
NBA Action '94
NBA Action '95 starring David Robinson
NCAA Final Four Basketball
NHL 11 (http://www.blog.nhl91.com/#11gc)
NFL '95
Phantom 2040 (uses Mode button to stand in place )
Pier Solar and the Great Architects
Power Instinct
Primal Rage
Ranger X
Rise of the Robots
Samurai Shodown
Shaq Fu
Skeleton Krew
Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage
Spider-Man & Venom: Separation Anxiety
Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
Street Racer
Streets of Rage 3
Sub-terrania
Super Street Fighter II
TechnoClash
The Great Circus Mystery starring Mickey & Minnie
Turrican 3
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Urban Strike
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Racing
WeaponLord
World Series Baseball '95
WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game
Yū Yū Hakusho: Makyō Tōitsusen
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Subsequent posters mention King of the Monsters 2, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron, True Lies, VR Troopers, and World Heroes, as well as a selection of Sega CD games (and quite a few 32X games use it as well). There are others missing from the list, like Double Dragon V and the Brazilian exclusive Nightmare Circus.

• Like 2

I have the Tengen Ms. Pac Man and it does fine with the 6 button.

I'm starting to suspect that there's a ROM variant, since some people swear theirs works with a 6-button controller and others swear it doesn't. Someone also suggested that the game is playable but controls poorly with a 6-button. IIRC, my copy just wouldn't go in at least one of the cardinal directions unless the MODE button was held down on startup.

Since it came up, other titles that don't work with the 6-button: Forgotten Worlds (instant game over!) and Golden Axe II. Decap Attack is also often listed, but at least one source suggests that it's actually just incompatible with the Nomad and will work fine on a regular Genesis with a 6-button controller.

A thread on Digital Press also lists Todd's Adventures in Slime World as a problem game, and somewhere else someone listed Clue. This post at Sega-16 includes a transcription of a compatibility list that came with early 6-button controllers, which includes both games, but I don't trust it -- some of those games have definitely worked for me, like Double Dragon III.

I can also say that IMG International Tour Tennis won't work properly with the 6-button controller that has turbo, but I think the regular one is fine.

In the Digital Press thread, posters claim that Out of this World and (the original) ToeJam & Earl act wonky with the 6-button, which I'd never heard and find hard to believe, but maybe someone here can confirm. A couple more oddities from that thread:

- Sunset Riders won't work in 2P mode if the second player doesn't hold down MODE;

- 4-Way Play adapter won't work for Players 3-4 if they use a 6-button without holding down MODE.

Also, PAL games may have different behavior -- I think some ROMs were fixed/updated.

• Like 1

I haven't seen a difference with Ms. Pac Man. The game just controls poorly period. Maybe using a three button will do better but I have to push up or down well in advance of wanting to go that way. I'll try it again and see.

I'm told the NES version is better.

edit-

Yeah, it just has control lag no matter what controller or rather the mode button was held.

Edited by mkiker2089

Did you try it with an original three-button controller? I'm pretty sure that behavior is exactly the thing that gets screwed up with 6-button controllers; I can't check real hardware right now, but in Kega Fusion up and down are super-flaky if you have it in 6-button controller mode. 3-button works normally.

I honestly do not remember any issues with my 6 button controllers when they came out with my 3 button games, it didnt take long before I started to ignore the mode button on boot (hold mode power on = 3 button)

maybe a time or two with rentals, but with nothing I ever owned, and I got my gen in 89, sold it in 96

A funny note on the 6-button controller and Golden Axe (I think it's GA1, possibly GA2, not sure) - the game won't recognize the 6-button controller unless you hold down the mode button when starting. I'm sure this happens for some other games too, but Golden Axe is the only one I really care about that this happens frequently with (and it disturbs me every time for a few seconds even though I know what the deal is and have to remind myself).

I've said before and I hold to it, the Genesis 6-button arcade pad is my favorite videogame controller of all time for any system. It's what got me back into gaming (after skipping the Nintendo entirely because I hated its gamepad so much, and the Snes' Milkbones were too mushy for me), and playing SF2:SCE was a dream come true. Despite the _awful_ sound effects. :)

And also just agreeing, Streets of Rage 3 is my favorite of the series too. I just can't get enough of Dr. Zan. Most people vote for SoR2, and it is awesome. But SoR3 is my favorite too.

Edited by Curious Sofa

I have Golden Axe and it does well with my six button. I think, after doing some research, that the problem isn't the games and variations of them but with the controllers. There's a long complicated write up in the Atari 2600 section about a controller variation and how some work with the Atari and some don't, but all three button models work. Something to do with the way it reads the button presses I think.

As for Streets of Rage, the second loses points for not having a clear special power meter. I want to use the special power often without losing health. Losing health defeats the purpose of it and having it on a clear timer is perfect.

• 3 months later...

Correction to the above list: LHX Attack Chopper does not support the 6-button controller as far as I can tell. It does support using a second joypad plugged into the 2P port for a few additional functions, and in fact I'd strongly recommend making use of that. But 6-button support, nyet.

• 3 months later...

You've got WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade Game listed, but not WWF Royal Rumble or WWF Raw. The 6 button isn't required, but no way I'd try to play either of these without it. Even the mode button gets used in Royal Rumble. Don't remember if it does in Raw or not.

There's also WWF Rage in the Cage for Sega CD, same controls.

Edited by tbb033

• 2 weeks later...

I've only ever had an issue using the 6-Button Pad with my copy of Forgotten Worlds.

Unless I hold down the Mode Button on power-up, the game will load fine but at the Title Screen pressing start just gives you a Game Over Screen!

I ALWAYS have to power-off/power-on when I play that game... NEVER remember ahead of time!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

1) WWE Raw 32X was a 4-PLAYER game that uses 6 button. Does any game with more than 4 players use the 6 button?

2) Wheel of Fortune for the Sega CD is a 3-player game which requires either 3 true 3-button controllers or MAYBE (haven't tested recently) a 6-Button with holding mode button down. Any other game which requires more than 2 3-button controllers?

Depending on the answers to both of these questions, I'll sell either a 6-button or 3 button controller.

• 5 months later...

1) WWE Raw 32X was a 4-PLAYER game that uses 6 button. Does any game with more than 4 players use the 6 button?

From Sega-16:

- Columns 3 (5 Players - Controller in port 1, multitap in port 2)
- Dodge Denpei (1-6p, two multitaps)
- Fever Pitch / Head-On Soccer (8p) (each pad controls the player who receives the ball so the 9th time control goes back to 1st player IIRC)
- Hyperdunk (8 players - using two multitaps)
- International Superstar Soccer Deluxe (8p)
- Mega Bomberman Special 8-player Demo (8p)
- Micro Machines 2 Turbo Tournament (8 Players - J-Cart, with two players sharing one gamepad at the same time)
- Micro Machines: Military (8 players - same method)
- NBA Action 95 starring David Robinson (5p) (stated on the back cover)
- NFL Quarterback Club (5p)
- NFL Quarterback Club 96 (5p)
- Super Skidmarks (6 Players - Multitap, plus two additional Joypad ports on the J-Cart)
- Ultimate Soccer (8 Players - using two Multitaps)

Out of these games, I'm pretty sure that International Superstar Soccer Deluxe uses up to eight 6-button controllers.

I don't think any of these games require a 3-button controller to work.