IGNORED

6 button games?

mkiker2089

1) I don't think Columns 3 uses a 6-button controller. I think it is 3 button. But I got the instructions, I'll check

2) Is "Hyperdunk" the Japanese name for "Double Dribble: The Playoff Edition", or is that a differrent game? If it's the same game, THAT doesn't use a 6 button if I remember right.

3) Bomberman is a 4 payer game and I believe doesn't use a 6-button.

By the way, when I say "use the 6 button", I mean is the game somehow handicapped if you use a 3-button controller, like Street Fighter. I know 99 percent of the games can use either a 3- or 6- and quite a few of those just use the 3 buttons so it doesn't really matter, and the ones optimized for 6-button has a compromise 3-button control scheme. I think no game REQUIRES a 6-button ABSOLUTELY, but quite a few games are easier or more intuitive with a 6-button.

My question is mainly I have one extra Genesis pad, and I'm seeing if any game requires 3 or more 3-button pads (I think Sega CD Wheel of Fortune is one of them), that won't function with a 6-, and what 5+ player games require a fifth or more 6-buttons pad to not be handicapped.

I'm trying to decide whether to sell a 3- or 6- button pad on ebay.

I assume you mean the only 5+ player game that would be "Fully Functional" with as many 6-button pads as players is International Superstar Soccer Deluxe (I assume it's an American release because "soccer" is uniquely an American name for that sport. When the World League of American Football was popular in Germany they called "football" -> "Soker-Fussball" and American football "Amerikanische-Fussball" both pronounced foosball, hence why in Germany, Foozball is called "Tischfussball"- or Table Football, so it's either an American or German (either during or after WLAF) release with the name Soccer. Everywhere else it's called Football. Even Coleco release Super Action Football in both Europe and the US. US got American, and Europe got Soccer, and never did they meet unless you import/export.)

So the only reason why I'd want a fifth 6-button controller of beyond is ISSD above? Is that a US release? Is that a rare or common game? Is the game a game worth playing if you have 8 soccer-football fans who were kids to teens during the Genesis era?

On the flip side, does any game require more than 3 3-button controllers and won't work with a 6-button? Or requires multiple players holding down MODE for it to work? You said there is no 5+ player games that require mulitple 3-button controllers or everyone holding down mode. What about 4 player games?

And Dragonstomper, knowing EA Games for the Genesis, all required the 4-Way Play, or the 4-Way Play-compatible Team Player 2 in Extra mode. And 4-Way play has a maximum of 4 players. In other words, If you have 4 6-button controllers, that's all you really need to avoid multiple players being handicapped. I have 5 or 6 pads and one Ascii 6 button fight stick.

• 2 weeks later...

lots of questions

I think I don't have enough will to give you a detailed answer to all of those questions but I'll try to help you out:

- International Superstar Soccer Deluxe was only released in Europe and Brazil for the Mega Drive. You can find it on ebay.uk CIB for around GBP 15.00 and ebay.de for around EUR 20.00; auctions will pop once in a while and then you could won for around 5 euros or something.

It's a port of the SNES game of the same name by Konami, the port was made by well-reputed Factor 5; IMO it's the best soccer game of that generation, by far. It was very popular in South America. The game is not region-locked though.

IIRC only the Mega Drive version supports 8 players. The AI in the Mega Drive version is botched when compared to the SNES' one; but the game runs faster without slowdowns, it's awesome for multiplayer gaming.

And, yes, it's super awful to play this game with a 3-button pad.

- There might be some very few other games which support more than 4 players and which play better with 6 buttons, but I don't think it's worth the trouble since you'll only increase the footprint of your setup and the chances are very very very low that you'll ever use it.

Furthermore, the double multitap setup itself is a problem. The mutitap protocol with just a single port used for each multitap is bug-prone/harder to implement properly and that's why EA's 4-WAY PLAY and Sega's second revision of multitap rely on using both ports instead of one.

Some games such as Street Racer (another game only released in Europe and Brazil which is not region-locked) support both protocols but they're buggy if you use the single port Sega Multitap. By the way, this game is another one which makes good use of the 6-button controller and supports up to 4 players. It's a blast to play in multiplayer since you can have something like 3 human players and 1 CPU player and dispute the tournament modes of the game; it's awesome.

- I've never heard of a multiplayer MD game which requires the use of mode button for compatibility.

- You should get rid of the 3-button controllers simply because their D-Pad is vastly inferior to the Sega official 6-button one. That alone is enough reason to sell the 3-button ones IMO.

- Have a Sega Teamplayer 2 and four official Sega 6-button controllers in good condition. That's all you really need.

Edited by Barone

So your saying the only game worth getting that has 5+ players and all using 6-button controllers is International Superstar Soccer Deluxe, and that's a European and Brazilian release only. And Wheel of Fortune Sega CD is the other extreme requiring 3 3-button controllers to play right without errors. Every other "3-button required" game is 2 players or less.

Well I got 6 6-button controllers, one Ascii 6-Button Fight Stick, and am planning to get a PS2-> Genesis 6-button adapter for my dream fight stick, so that's all the 8 players I need for that. The fourth 3-Button controller I have can be a sacrificial PCB for my fight stick for those few games that require a 3-button controller, like Ms. Pac-Man, which really requires a joystick to play right. All right, I'm not selling a thing.

Speaking of international game, would a US Genesis Game Genie be able to pay European and/or Brazilian ( and other regions of) Mega Drive cartridges? I know it plays Japanese MD. And would a US Game Genie unlock foreign Sega CD/Mega CD and 32XCD games? (the 32X cartridges may be a different issue because the cartridge is designed to not fit in a 16 bit machine cartridge slot). And would the US Game Genie allow CD cheating?

• 4 months later...

And then there's Ms. Pac-Man, a game that seems to not get along with 6 button Genesis gamepads.

In the following thread, I mentioned that the 6 button Hyperkin Sega Genesis compatible controller does not work correctly with the Ms. Pacman game. “…when playing Ms. Pacman, especially during the start of the game, the controller eight directional pad would not respond to up or down actions. In addition, the original Sega controller worked perfectly fine during Ms. Pacman but so far I have not found a third party controller that works ok with Ms. Pacman.”

So I guess I have to either use the original 6 button Sega Genesis controller or original 3 button Sega Genesis controller with Ms. Pacman.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/285916-poor-quality-third-party-sega-genesis-controllers-on-the-market/?p=4175113

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 8/30/2013 at 12:49 AM, Atariboy said:

And then there's Ms. Pac-Man, a game that seems to not get along with 6 button Genesis gamepads.

Yes, it seems to play better on the SNES. I don't have a three-button controller for my Genesis 3, but I saw it available for a decent price for the SNES at my local game store, so I got it and traded in my Genesis version rather than buying a three button controller that I hoped wasn't worn out already. :) 

On 12/12/2018 at 12:39 PM, HDTV1080P said:

In the following thread, I mentioned that the 6 button Hyperkin Sega Genesis compatible controller does not work correctly with the Ms. Pacman game. “…when playing Ms. Pacman, especially during the start of the game, the controller eight directional pad would not respond to up or down actions. In addition, the original Sega controller worked perfectly fine during Ms. Pacman but so far I have not found a third party controller that works ok with Ms. Pacman.”

So I guess I have to either use the original 6 button Sega Genesis controller or original 3 button Sega Genesis controller with Ms. Pacman.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/285916-poor-quality-third-party-sega-genesis-controllers-on-the-market/?p=4175113

The SG Propad 6 worked with it as far as I remember, but it has mode button too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had this brought to my attention this post existed over controllers and 3 vs 6 button issues, seems people still dig into what is or isn't an issue and how by something as minute as a version update perhaps on a game (like ms pac man which is assumed.)

I have a Mega SG coming in a week or two whenever they push them out.  I'm grabbing a couple new pads (there's a seller on video game sage with them) and settling on a 3 and a 6.  It seems some games while not necessary seem more vital than not for satisfaction outside of the obvious fighters.  But then you have the fact Sega seemed to have some really lax standards not just with their questionable hardware durability from issues, but software too.  I own Trouble Shooter and it's harder than it should be, partly broken really, on my 6 button Nomad so that 3 button pad will restore it to right function.  Currently A=bomb B=fire C=shift partner shoot left/right as the manual would say.  On a 6button, A is dead, B is ok, C is shift AND PAUSE...really sucks.  Then bombs, they just get wasted if the meter fills it just fires when it can.