IGNORED

may paint my NES

I'm thinking about painting my NES-101 model. It looks good but the grey just doesn't speak to me. My Atari and Sega Genesis are both black and the grey never did appeal to me even in the 80s when it was new. I just hate to take it apart and risk messing it up. I can be clumsy sometimes.

How hard is it to take it apart? It seems like it's easy to get the top off from videos online. I have RCA jacks in it like Game Tech does but I think they just screw off (I didn't do the mod).

Any thoughts on colors? I'm leaning toward Krylon Cherry Bomb

Painting is a tricky issue. In my opinion if its not perfect its crap. I have done an n64 and I think it turned out awesome. The downside is you got to treat it like a baby, you drop a cart on it or even get it a little too hard with your fingernail your gona scratch it and its ruined. krylon makes a paint that touts a molecular bond with plastic thats the best way to go but its still not great. I've seen some amazing jobs done by people who use auto painting equipment. Thats the way to go if you can but for most that isn't an option. I've painted 2 consoles and am happy with the results but I would say unless your console is in very very bad shape don't paint it at all cuz your really just ruining it. But thats just my two cents good luck.

I did consider durability of it. I know paint has come a long way though. I used an adhesive based clear primer for plastic truck parts and it did well but I didn't properly clear coat it. Someone on nintendoage makes painted repro cartridges as well which seem good.

I did a test spray on a black plastic stand. The picture makes it look more glittery than it really is. When it has a clear coat (and better paint job, this was a 30 second spray bomb) it will look better. On a scale of 1 being flat paint and 10 being super glittery I think it's around 6 with the photo making it look 8.

post-35620-0-60946400-1378004236_thumb.jpg

I have painted 2 NES front loader consoles. They come apart fairly easy. I would just suggest making certain to remove the black "vents" from the grey body beforhand, rather than trying to mask it. The results will be much nicer. Also, I suggest carefully masking all decals on the bottom of the console since they are not removeable.

Krylon Fusion brand paints are recommended for plastics and work well. Just use as few passes as possible and keep your distance to eliminate possibility of drips and runs.

Yeah, I was way too close with the above photo hence it went on too heavy. It was more of me painting indoors and not thinking than anything else.

My plan for now is to leave the bottom grey and see how it looks. I plan on painting the reset button the same as the top and leaving the power button it's lighter plain red. If the bottom doesn't look good with the red I'll paint it black maybe. I'm not great at picturing these things in my head.