IGNORED

Commodore 64 Complete Zak Mckracken Price check / selling

dragonite

Hello everyone, little back story my wife and I buy and sells items we find from thrift stores and yard sales. We started out ourselves as collectors of Nintendo NES games and turned our love of treasure hunting into a business. So now to the future, last week we found a huge lot of commodore 64 games along with a commodore SX-64. I have looked up all the games on Ebay and have them listed on Amazon for around the completed sold price that we found on Ebay. I have not listed the Zak Mckracken yet because we are not sure its value. We believe it to be complete or close to it. Below is what it has:
The Box with plastic still covering.
Two 5 1/4 floppies that have been tested and work
Special Offer paper
The Hint Book
A Reddish booklet that says Zap'em II exit visa security system
The getting started booklet
A newspaper The Adventurer Lucasfilm games Volume one number one
Another news paper Green writting The National Inquisitor.
All in very good condition.
We are not sure what it is worth but know it is rare and has some value. Would love to see it go to a collector that has been looking for this. Any help would be great and thank you for your help. Sorry I sometimes get long winded and have poor grammer ^.^

post-36854-0-98729400-1377999139_thumb.jpg

post-36854-0-14411500-1377999163_thumb.jpg

post-36854-0-46817600-1377999185_thumb.jpg

post-36854-0-97022900-1377999209_thumb.jpg

post-36854-0-61470000-1377999226_thumb.jpg

post-36854-0-54746500-1377999242_thumb.jpg

post-36854-0-87410700-1377999256_thumb.jpg

post-36854-0-76390400-1377999272_thumb.jpg

post-36854-0-72382500-1377999290_thumb.jpg

post-36854-0-67965900-1377999307_thumb.jpg

Glad to here its complete. Most of the game that we got with this seem to be in the same type of condition. Have to mention they do have a musty hint to them, like they were stored in a basement for the last 15-20 years. If you know what would be a avg. fair price for this. A price that the avg collector would thing of paying not the guy that puts it up for 10 times its value.

It looks complete. It has everything that's in my copy. Zak is not that rare, it's just in demand and thus the price is a bit higher than other software. See entries for Chrono Trigger on the SNES for example, or Earthbound ;)

Value? $50 and upwards I'd imagine...

I sold one a year or so ago for around $70 and yours is in better condition. I would guess around $80 to $90 on eBay.

It looks complete. It has everything that's in my copy. Zak is not that rare, it's just in demand and thus the price is a bit higher than other software. See entries for Chrono Trigger on the SNES for example, or Earthbound ;)

Value? $50 and upwards I'd imagine...

Really ... I thought it was fairly rare, especially complete. A search for active and completed listings on eBay show 0 CIB copies ...

I haven't been able to find a completed auction on these either. Just saw the Hint book and floppies sell for like $27ish on E-bay. Had someone on Lucas Arts forum say they thought it was worth $200 and up. They said they thought the $200 was even low. Guess its like the old saying, "its worth what someone is will to pay" We have several more games to list on Amazon and will let everyone know when everything is up. Thank you all for the help and insight.

I sold one a year or so ago for around $70 and yours is in better condition. I would guess around $80 to $90 on eBay.

Really ... I thought it was fairly rare, especially complete. A search for active and completed listings on eBay show 0 CIB copies ...

There were over 10,000 titles released for the C64, a number of them, even reasonably common games, won't be listed on eBay at all times heh. I probably see a Zak complete on eBay a couple of times per month on average.

• 8 months later...

I have one of these I'm considering selling (probably though eBay). Is this a good game? I'd like to play it but I have a ton of stuff I've never played and probably won't have time to play so I'm thinking of thinning the C-64 boxed software herd. I'm assuming the book of codes is in dark red to make it nearly impossible to photocopy (to prevent pirating).

post-274-0-84008800-1401942420_thumb.jpg

it's a great game but I suggest to play the dos version through SCUMMVM!

You can play it on windows 7 or 8!

Very challenging game even now I am 38 :)

Your copy looks in nice shape, even if It I cannot see the plastic transparent floppy support and, the business reply card has some writings.

Anyway I would be very interested in purchasing it. What about $150 + shipping?

Best regards

Federico

Edited by XXXPHOENIX

• 5 years later...

Well, after 5 years, look where Zak is now...

I was looking through my games collection and just for fun, I was checking for the prices at ebay, until I came to my wonderful copy of Zak McKracken...

We are talking about €400, €700, even over €1000  (I live in Greece).

This game also appears in these lists:

https://www.lifewire.com/most-valuable-pc-games-813058

https://www.redbull.com/sg-en/rare-pc-games-worth-a-fortune

I know this is for the PC version, but I think the same goes for the ST and Amiga versions...

BTW here is my CIB copy:

ZAK.thumb.jpg.dd8cb397589773f3bcf54b0729eaf48e.jpg

Edited by archon72
Forgot to upload photo...

12 hours ago, archon72 said:

Well, after 5 years, look where Zak is now...

I was looking through my games collection and just for fun, I was checking for the prices at ebay, until I came to my wonderful copy of Zak McKracken...

We are talking about €400, €700, even over €1000  (I live in Greece).

This game also appears in these lists:

https://www.lifewire.com/most-valuable-pc-games-813058

https://www.redbull.com/sg-en/rare-pc-games-worth-a-fortune

I know this is for the PC version, but I think the same goes for the ST and Amiga versions...

BTW here is my CIB copy:

ZAK.thumb.jpg.dd8cb397589773f3bcf54b0729eaf48e.jpg

ROTFL 

Sorry to disappoint you but an AMIGA Zak Mckracken goes for usd200-250, and here in Europe they seldom sell for more than €200 and only for copies with Mint boxes.

I see a rip on your box and it seems you are missing the internal plastic display as well...

Also consider that the Amiga version is definitely the most common among all versions and I doubt You will make more than €175.

Only German, Italian and Japanese versions sell for top $... the UK and USA versions of the game are far more common.

In the last few years I built a large Zak Collection:

Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    PC    Floppy 5 1/4 & 3 1/2    ENG USA
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    PC    Floppy 5 1/4 & 3 1/2    ENG UK
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    PC    Floppy 5 1/4    ENG UK 384kversion
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    PC    Floppy 5 1/4 & 3 1/2    ENG USA 384kversion
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    C64    Floppy 5 1/4    ENG USA
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    C64    Floppy 5 1/4    ENG USA
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    C64    Floppy 5 1/4    ENG UK *Different front label
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    AMIGA    Floppy 3 1/2    USA
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    AMIGA    Floppy 3 1/2    ENG UK
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    ATARI ST    Floppy 3 1/2    USA
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    ATARI ST    Floppy 3 1/2    ENG UK
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    FM TOWNS    Cd Rom    JAP

Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    C64    Floppy 5 1/4    ITA
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    C64    Floppy 5 1/4    ITA

Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    AMIGA    Floppy 3 1/2    ITA
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    PC    Floppy 5 1/4 e 3 1/2    ITA
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    AMIGA    Floppy 3 1/2    ENG UK KIXX
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    PC    Floppy 3 1/2    ENG UK KIXX
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    ATARI ST    Floppy 3 1/2    ENG UK KIXX

Still looking for...

Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    FM TOWNS    Cd Rom    JAP variant version with newspaper
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    AMIGA    Floppy 3 1/2    GER
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    ATARI ST    Floppy 3 1/2    GER
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    C64    Floppy 5 1/4    GER
Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    PC    Floppy 5 1/4    GER

Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders    ATARI ST    Floppy 3 1/2    ITA

Federico

• Like 2

Thank you for the answer Federico! :)

No disappointment at all...

You see, first of all, I am not willing to sell it.

However, as I said, my copy is complete in box, even I didn't put everything in the photo.

And last, I've got the Atari ST version (I am an Atarian since 1988). The box just says Amiga... ;) 

p.s. WOW! Great collection you got there!!! 

Dino

Edited by archon72
  • Like 1