IGNORED

Best port of Choplifter?

SoulBlazer

Of the ports I've tried so far, I like the Atari 800/5200 versions the best, either the Broderbund version for the Atari 800/5200 or the Sculptured Software re-release for the XL/XE series. Broderbund's was high-res and had smoother animation, albeit in artifacted monochrome, but Sculptured Software's version was more colorful. It's interesting to see two different takes on the same game concept, implemented on the same machine. I've also briefly played the ColecoVision version, but I don't remember it very well. The Atari 7800 version was okay, but it didn't feel quite as polished as the others I've tried.

The Master System version is great. Nice graphics, good sound, fun gameplay, and it's challenging. I also like the 7800 version (I haven't played any others actually now that I think about it), but it's a shame it ends so fast. Not a whole lot of replay value with that one.

This thread has inspired me to fire up my SMS emulator and play some Choplifter. I've never been able to finish it. I remember there was a cave stage and then a sea stage. Maybe I'll make it further now.

This was always a tough game to make it far in. (The arcade especially was sick and disgusting.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWrYMaXE0fo

Of course I should have looked at YouTube. :P

Here's a video comparing all 13 versions made BITD. Only one not here is the 'new' Intelivision version.

EDIT: Huh, in the old days this would have the actual video here. Anyone know how to do that?

Edited by SoulBlazer

EDIT: Huh, in the old days this would have the actual video here. Anyone know how to do that?

I just flip the "BBCode Mode" switch (in the upper-left corner of the editor toolbar), then enter the tags directly:

[media] (Insert YouTube URL Here) [/media]
Like this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWrYMaXE0fo

• Like 2

I was introduced to the game on the 7800 and played it for years, but after acquiring the SMS version, I gotta hand the trophy to that one for its polish. I'm still fond of the 7800 version for nostalgia, though.

I played the Apple ][ version first, so I'll always like that one the best.

More recently, I tried out many different console versions and finally settled on the one for the 5200 as being the best port for me, mostly due to the similarity of the control scheme.

The Apple II release is the best of the original bunch, in my opinion. The C-64 version is pretty good too, but like Great Hierophant said, it gets pushed down a notch for having limited control compared to the original. I think the Commodore release is as good as it possibly could be with the standard Commodore/Atari joystick, but the game really shines on the Apple II with its two-button analog controller.

Technically, the arcade version is a port, so there is a case to be made about that one being the best port, but if the question becomes which port of arcade Choplifter is the best, then I would say the SMS version with the Famicom version running a close second. Curiously, Famicom Choplifter does not mention Sega at all, even though it has all of the arcade game's levels and enemies.

The worst port of the arcade game is on the 7800. Oh, that wasn't meant to be a port of the arcade game? Then why did they base the graphics on the arcade game? A little bit of bait-and-switch going on there, if you ask me.