IGNORED

ColecoVision 1.2 - replacement PCB, added features

5-11under

If there's a need for a switch between component and composite, I can make sure it's accessible by the back of the machine.

I'll have to give Super Cobra a try, to see if it works or not... maybe I just need to leave it at 1K, then... or another switch. :D

There's little or no drilling if you don't want to have any of the extras.

Regarding the power switch, I have my eye on some replacements, but I'm not 100% sure they'll fit well or not. Hopefully there's some options available to people here. Time will tell.

As far as switching the BIOS, pick one, then leave it.

For the reset/pause button combination, that sounds like an interesting idea to have short press equal pause and long press equal reset. Another option is to combine the reset switch with the power switch, and have a dedicated pause switch.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is possible for the TMS9928A.

I'll leave it at 16K, unless there's a reason to increase it and if it's super easy to implement. I'm using a 32K RAM chip, by the way.

Well, if you asked me... I would dig down design to allow more colors, more resolution, more sprites... linking even 2 TMS9928A together. Which could allow software developer to use the transparent color to display the output of the 2nd TMS9928A.

If you take a look on my post in colecovision programming : My first test... on the TMS9918, you will see a "new" video mode (unless someone already done it before) : 64x192.

If there was a bit to swap the 16 kb bank.. I could toggle it at each NMI and use color flickering tricks to enhance title screen for example.

Well, so far I have just started to do something on colecovision. But, even if I won't be the one doing it, if the possibility are there... it give the opportunity for anyone who want to use it.

• Like 1

Well, if you asked me... I would dig down design to allow more colors, more resolution, more sprites... linking even 2 TMS9928A together. Which could allow software developer to use the transparent color to display the output of the 2nd TMS9928A.

What you're looking for is Opcode's CV-2 project. I don't think your wish list fits the scope of 5-11under's project.

What you're looking for is Opcode's CV-2 project. I don't think your wish list fits the scope of 5-11under's project.

Thank you, I am a bit lost about all projects, sorry.

Hey, no problem. As Pixelboy mentioned, this project is pretty much a ColecoVision, just with some minor improvements, but nothing game changing. It's meant to replace a ColecoVision, but not be a completely new next-generation console.

• Like 3

Sounds like a really good idea, sign me up for one. Be nice if there was a PAL option but not a deal breaker if there is not (Australian TVs are all multi-frequency anyway).

Also be good if the extra ram is there, but if it causes too many problems, also don't stress about that as there is still the SGM.

This sounds great , the idea of that coleco 2 seems silly and pointless to me . This is all that is needed :thumbsup:

I kind of agree with you on this. I much prefer slight improvements (to get rid of slightly annoying things like the title delay or limited video outputs) than a more powerful version of my beloved Colecovision console. Call it nostalgia or insanity, but I love having all those limitations when I program the thing! If I want to program for a more powerful console, there's a lot of other choices available!

I got a fair bit of work done over the last day or so. I fixed some known mistakes, got the board outline done, mounting holes added, second controller added (I only had one for the prototypes), expansion connector added, and static RAM for the VDP added (was originally on a daughter board, so I could swap between static RAM and the "8 bit tower of DRAM"). There's plenty more to be done.

Time for a break, though... to work on game PCBs for Toby and maybe Daniel.

My good ColecoVision busted, I can't test the cartridges I've just made, I'm a bit in a trouble here.

I saw your project here and I'm quite enthusiast about it, do you think you can make a working prototype for christmas?

While I'm on this topic here, I will be happy to provide some of my own CV games to your project.

Edited by newcoleco

My good ColecoVision busted, I can't test the cartridges I've just made, I'm a bit in a trouble here.

I saw your project here and I'm quite enthusiast about it, do you think you can make a working prototype for christmas?

Sorry, I don't have a firm date. It depends on available time and success level.

I did send you a quick e-mail regarding assembling/testing new cartridges.

I'll definately order a Coleco 1.2 replacment pcb or maybe more than 1 depending on final cost. I have a couple of flaky coleco's that could use a new board.

My 1 suggestion would be to have some of the major chips use a socket rather than solder mounted direct to the board for ease of replacment if a problem occurs in the future.

You can add me to any list of purchasers.

Edited by digress