IGNORED

ColecoVision 1.2 - replacement PCB, added features

5-11under

Just a heads up that the PCB manufacturing for the next prototype has been started. I should have it in hand within a couple of weeks. I'm only working on this when I have time, besides a number of other projects, so progress may be slow at times.

Here's a picture of the layout (part of a batch of boards):

post-3127-0-48191300-1385489549_thumb.png

• Like 7

Just a heads up that the PCB manufacturing for the next prototype has been started. I should have it in hand within a couple of weeks. I'm only working on this when I have time, besides a number of other projects, so progress may be slow at times.

any plans to add SGM built in?

A few pictures...

The first prototype from a few years ago. No cartridge slot. One joystick port. DRAM tower (video memory) sort of installed. Was converted to an SG-1000 (but without joystick support):

post-3127-0-21012700-1386189628_thumb.png

The second prototype from a year or two ago, showing the SRAM daughterboard (video memory) this time. Later I added 24K RAM to test Zaxxon and Dragon's Lair before I had an SGM. Don't ask why the cartridge slot is installed on the bottom ;):

post-3127-0-75335000-1386189644_thumb.png

The third prototype PCB, unassembled, which should have full ColecoVision compatibility (excluding RF output), but with some extras (5V input, component/YPbPr output, composite output, Sega controller capability, keypad capability). It's still a prototype, so I anticipate a number of changes before the next version (which will hopefully be the beta version):

post-3127-0-93239200-1386189671_thumb.png

• Like 9

A few pictures...The first prototype from a few years ago. No cartridge slot. One joystick port. DRAM tower (video memory) sort of installed. Was converted to an SG-1000 (but without joystick support):attachicon.gifproto1.pngThe second prototype from a year or two ago, showing the SRAM daughterboard (video memory) this time. Later I added 24K RAM to test Zaxxon and Dragon's Lair before I had an SGM. Don't ask why the cartridge slot is installed on the bottom ;):attachicon.gifproto2.pngThe third prototype PCB, unassembled, which should have full ColecoVision compatibility (excluding RF output), but with some extras (5V input, component/YPbPr output, composite output, Sega controller capability, keypad capability). It's still a prototype, so I anticipate a number of changes before the next version (which will hopefully be the beta version):attachicon.gifpcb.png

ColecoVision ... Ah...... ColecoVision..... Such an awesome system! :cool:

I must admit we are pretty lucky to have folks like you in the homebrew scene!

Cheers to that!

• Like 3

Awesome project! Those other boards around the Coleco board look pretty interesting as well.

Do you use an autorouter at any point in the design process?

Do you use an autorouter at any point in the design process?

I actually use FreePCB. It's not the greatest, but it serves me well, at least for simple and/or digital stuff, where most of the work is just connecting address and data lines. I use the included auto-router, then usually do a lot of clean-up afterward. For this prototype, I didn't do any clean-up... I won't do that until I need to make more than one of them.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Just remember that it's all pretty much vapourware until you're able to have one of your own. They did make 2 boards instead of the 1 I requested, so who knows, if it works well, maybe one will be up for grabs sometime. Please don't PM me, though... .

A few pictures...

The first prototype from a few years ago. No cartridge slot. One joystick port. DRAM tower (video memory) sort of installed. Was converted to an SG-1000 (but without joystick support):

attachicon.gifproto1.png

The second prototype from a year or two ago, showing the SRAM daughterboard (video memory) this time. Later I added 24K RAM to test Zaxxon and Dragon's Lair before I had an SGM. Don't ask why the cartridge slot is installed on the bottom ;):

attachicon.gifproto2.png

The third prototype PCB, unassembled, which should have full ColecoVision compatibility (excluding RF output), but with some extras (5V input, component/YPbPr output, composite output, Sega controller capability, keypad capability). It's still a prototype, so I anticipate a number of changes before the next version (which will hopefully be the beta version):

attachicon.gifpcb.png

I'm impressed!

I dream of a full new CV not just mother board! :)

A few pictures...

attachicon.gifproto1.png

attachicon.gifproto2.png

attachicon.gifpcb.png

ColecoVision 1.2 - So beautiful...

:)

Looks like some good progress. Still a lot of work to populate those boards though.

Any cartridges that are compatible with the Coleco Adam should be fine with the 24k of RAM. There are a couple -- like Telegames US released a soccer game that worked on the CV and not on the Adam as I recall.

I usually use Eagle from cadsoft for work. It works pretty well, but you have to pay big bucks if you want to make a PCB that large I guess. It is cheap/free for smaller projects though.

I haven't tried FreePCB in a while, maybe I'll have to check it out again.

Edited by hardhat