IGNORED

3/4 Isometric on the 2600

7800Lover

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Just who got the bright idea to put games on the Atari 2600 that use a three-quarter isometric perspective?

Experience has taught us that the 2600 CANNOT handle isometric perspective.

Examples:

congobongo_3.png

Congo Bongo

desert_6.png

Desert Falcon

upndown_4.png

Up 'n Down

(All these images BTW are courtesy of the Atari Protos page.) Anyway...YECCH! Didn't programmers understand that these games were proof of the 2600's poor handling of isometrics?

I really liked Crystal Castles back in the day. I remember one of the magazines current at the time gave that game a D+ and stated something to the fact that the isometric perspective ruined the game. I personally thought they did a great job and that the isometric perspective looked awesome. I used to play that game a lot.

• Like 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Just who got the bright idea to put games on the Atari 2600 that use a three-quarter isometric perspective?

Experience has taught us that the 2600 CANNOT handle isometric perspective.

Examples:

congobongo_3.png

Congo Bongo

desert_6.png

Desert Falcon

upndown_4.png

Up 'n Down

(All these images BTW are courtesy of the Atari Protos page.) Anyway...YECCH! Didn't programmers understand that these games were proof of the 2600's poor handling of isometrics?

That Congo Bongo first screen actually does it very nicely I think. Look at those smooth diagonals. Both levels (though they abandoned the isometric on the second) of that cartridge *look* really great. The control on the first level felt a little awkward to me. Desert Falcon is really the same way. With the static image you provide it's a little harder to see but when the game is playing (and isometric scrolling!) it looks acceptable to me, but again I found the control awkward. I never played Up -n- Down, yeah I can see the graphics are very blocky (but nice colors). I have read reviews that the gameplay on that is excellent.

In my opinion you're really criticizing the 2600's graphics resolution. It's not so much the case that the 2600 "handles isometrics poorly" but rather that isometric games require an higher resolution to clearly convey the view. So you could extend your criticism to really any system with low resolution graphics.

If the 2600 can do 3D, why shouldn't it be able to do 2.5D?

It all just depends on the developer.

That's what I would think. In the past few years, 2600 coders have pulled off a number of supposedly "impossible" feats. It would be interesting to see if someone (or a team) could pull off a new interpretation of zaxxon or desert falcon.

I think the Atari 2600 handles them just fine and the developer did a great job with it. Up n Down had 2 color sprites for the cars, music, 8 different color sprites in a row for the flags. Also changing the playfield register midway to change the reflection and symmetry bit.

Congo Bongo did a great job using the ball and missile objects to help make that scene, the controls in that area really work well. Plus the nifty 3D perspective scene in the 2nd screen along with setting the ape on fire scene really made this version of Congo Bongo great. Plus, it has music playing in the background.

Sega did an awesome jobs with their games for the Atari 2600 games and abusing it limitation. They are playable and fun to play to boot.