IGNORED

REAL TIME CLOCK FOR THE SPEECH SYNTHESIZER/NANO PEB

Omega-TI

"It is, of course, an interesting idea to get rid of some limitations. However, the limitations also define a platform, and as I see it, this is going to be a new computer...".

Absolutely. :thumbsup:

I totally agree as well. In the end it's all about PERSONAL CHOICE. There may be a couple of people who hold out and do not get an F18A, and that is alright. I myself am like a car guy, I like the "Restomod" approach to TI-ing.

From the beginning, every new piece of hardware has been met with a new piece of software to exploit the new capability or feature. Just look at the result's of Matthew's little F18A device... some totally AWESOME new programs by Rasmus. What else will that little video device spawn? What new software would be developed if everyone had easy access to an AMS card in the P-BOX or one built into a replacement for the Nano? Just think of what someone could do with an F18A/AMS Combo! HOLY SMOKES! And yes, even a lowly RTC would spawn new uses and features. Who knows, someone may come up with something not even thought of yet that will take us to even greater heights.

Holy smoke, someone just did. Im just beginning to wet my pants thinking about what I could do with a Pi in a TI house. Real-time clock, millions of colors, tons of memory, 1920 x 1200 pixel resolution, faster CPU, faster GPU, high quality speech, ... Love it. Ordering now.

:thumbsup:

ROTFLMAO! If that is what makes you happy, I say go for it. :)

For me. not so much, to me that seems like nothing more than just an emulator wearing TI clothing.

To me it's not cheating if you "Hang More Stuff Off A -REAL- TI". :P (Your opinions may vary).

Here is my PC analogy; If you get a new video card for your PC and plug it in, it's still a PC compatible. If you add additional memory to your PC, it's still a PC compatible. Why would it be any different with the TI? Since I'm on an RTC kick... I remember back in the early PC-8088 era when people were buying aftermarket RTC's on-a-chip to plug into their motherboards, even then it was still a PC compatible. So as long as I'm using the original motherboard and CPU, it's still going to be a TI to me.

So all you hardware hackers out there... GET TO WORK DUDES!

It is, of course, an interesting idea to get rid of some limitations. However, the limitations also define a platform, and as I see it, this is going to be a new computer …

I still think this is so absolutely true.

If I want more, it's easy to slip away, onto a modern computer, millions of colors, sprites of any size, ... away from the constraints of a TI-99/4A. Actually I moved on to the C64 and the Amiga within only a few years (1984 and 1987). So coming back to the TI is most certainly about the limitations, to me, as said, it defines the platform.

:)

Edited by sometimes99er

I did no register-level emulation of the clock device, ONLY the DSR works. So anything that assumes what chipset lies behind it will fail. I don't intend to change that in the future.

I took a look at MENU v7.3's source code and it contains a routine for both the CorComp DSR clock and the MBP/Clukow clock card. It is not clear from the source why it would fail to pick up the time within Classic99.

Kevan - what version of BOOT (MENU) are you using? Could you PM the files to me when you have time? I'd like to do a quick comparison.

I took a look at MENU v7.3's source code and it contains a routine for both the CorComp DSR clock and the MBP/Clukow clock card. It is not clear from the source why it would fail to pick up the time within Classic99.

Kevan - what version of BOOT (MENU) are you using? Could you PM the files to me when you have time? I'd like to do a quick comparison.

v 10/16/89 - DONE, already sent!

Could you please spit MENU 7.3 my way as well. Thanks!

v 10/16/89 - DONE, already sent!

Could you please spit MENU 7.3 my way as well. Thanks!

MENU is only for use with the Horizon RAMdisks. BOOT is similar but more generically usable. I haven't come across the source for BOOT yet. However, the version I have (hit "V" at the main screen) is "12/19/89 JJ". It does not display the clock nor can I find the reference to the CLOCK device, so things may have changed between MENU and BOOT. More research is required... :(

MENU is only for use with the Horizon RAMdisks. BOOT is similar but more generically usable. I haven't come across the source for BOOT yet. However, the version I have (hit "V" at the main screen) is "12/19/89 JJ". It does not display the clock nor can I find the reference to the CLOCK device, so things may have changed between MENU and BOOT. More research is required... :(

Yeah, well if it will not run, no reason to I guess. Bummer about the clock not functioning in MENU. I'm on a "Holy Crusade" to obtain and install a clock in my TI (hopefully CorComp or compatible). There are just so many things I could do with one.

I found source to ROOT (an offshoot of BOOT) for the Grand RAM. It does contain clock test code similar to what is in MENU and BOOT. It wants the CorComp clock to be at a specific CRU address (0x1D00) and then accesses it directly to read the time from the clock card.

Like many (most) other programs, BOOT's clock access is done via the direct hardware addresses. There isn't really anything more to be done on the emulation side. Would still be nice to see a clock on the NanoPEB as would SAMS support.

Would still be nice to see a clock on the NanoPEB as would SAMS support.

Oh yeah! I can agree with that 100%!

I may be jumping the gun, but I'm already starting to save up for that eventual thing. I want to be ready when/if one is ever released.

I can just imagine Matthew making one up. I've seen the quality of his F18A, from the device, all the down to the care he takes with packaging. I'd buy one sight unseen if it had his name on it. I'd also much prefer a USB or SD card for data storage.

Dammit, now I have to go get a towel! ;) I've been drooling over the thought of this kind of upgrade!

• 7 years later...
On 9/6/2013 at 8:53 AM, Omega-TI said:

Not only that, but the BOOT menu program that many people have been using for YEARS has features that they are probably unaware of.

1) RTC Support

Displays the time in the upper right-hand corner of the screen

2) 80 Column Support (Works with F18A too try it in Classic 99) (Just press "W" to enter 80 column mode)

When you do a directory in 80 column mode it will display file creation & update times if available.

There are programs out there already that will support a RTC, and in the case of the BOOT program even 80 columns. I just thought it would be nice to be able to fully use what we already have available.

Where can one find that version of BOOT?

• 1 month later...