IGNORED

Current thrift store console finds

PS1, Gamecube, and Xbox are mostly what I see here. For whatever reason, the Gamecubes are almost always "console only", no wires or controllers.

That's about the same here, too. The Xbox is the most common, followed by the PS 1, and then the Gamecube. The 'Cubes are very often damaged in that the CD lid will not stay closed.

There is the very occasional N64, but nothing older -- Genesis consoles were extremely common just a few years ago, but no more. I see a NES about as often as a 2600 (i.e. maybe once per year). I have never encountered a Saturn, Dreamcast, or SNES in a thrift shop (but I once passed on a damaged Vectrex).

Virtually every console I have seen is sold "as is", with no controllers, power supply, video cables, etc. Sometimes the controllers will be available as a seperate piece, but not usualy. Only very rarely are things all bundled together.

I saw a Dreamcast and the tiny PS1. I'm not sure if it had a name, I think it was written as PSone or something like that.

I saw a Super Nintendo but it was the common giant monster. If they had the slim model I would have snapped it up.

I've seen Atari's with broken controllers and often see games for consoles with no console in sight.

#1 Is XBOX or Playstation 1. Usually minus cables, etc. Local overpriced Goodwill usually has a stack of XBOXs but at $30.06 - $50 (!) they will be there awhile. Especially when its just the console.

Gamecubes definitely come in second. Saw one tonight for $6 but looks like somebody defecated on it. Once again usually minus any sort of cables.

PS2s, n64s and Dreamcasts occasionally but a bit uncommon.

Haven't seen anything older in a very long time. Sometimes CD-is get mixed in with the CD Players, but thats fairly rare. Haven't seen anything from the 80s since eBay took over. Well I think one spot had a 2600 years ago but it was in bad shape and they tagged it at $50 which honestly you can do better on eBay for. Now pre-ebay you'd find all sorts of stuff.. 2600s, 5200s, colecos, you name it. Most of my classic consoles (other than my personal ones) were thrift store finds back in the day.

Never see 3DOs, Jags, etc. Well found one JagCD years ago (which i bought) but only Jag of any sort found to date. Obviously the more popular the system the more likely one gets taken to the goodwill so you are unlikely to see a Turbo Duo for example. I'd imagine it happens but that would be a fairly rare occurance.

Edited by number six

I'm pretty much seeing the same thing as everyone else. I can's remember the last time I saw any console at a thrift store older than a PSX. I also seem to see Gamecubes sans controllers/hookups. And thrift stores generally feel that XBoxes and PS2s are worth more than market value.

I see the PS1 all the time. Funny story I was at the salvation army and I saw a N64 reality quest glove in a show case. I asked to see it. When the lady pulled it out it was stuck to a PS1 with boxing tape, and priced at 10 bucks. I explained that the two things don't even go together. I said I wanted the glove but told them they could keep the PS1, I didn't even want a discount I just have no interest in the PS1. The lady wouldn't sell it to me without taking the PS1! I guess they have a hard time getting rid of those things.

• Like 1

I see the PS1 all the time. Funny story I was at the salvation army and I saw a N64 reality quest glove in a show case. I asked to see it. When the lady pulled it out it was stuck to a PS1 with boxing tape, and priced at 10 bucks. I explained that the two things don't even go together. I said I wanted the glove but told them they could keep the PS1, I didn't even want a discount I just have no interest in the PS1. The lady wouldn't sell it to me without taking the PS1! I guess they have a hard time getting rid of those things.

Maybe they'll just start putting PS1's in people's bags at the register, you know, free with every purchase

"Oh look George, the cashier gave us a free record player with my knitted Christmas sweater. Now I can listen to my Frankie Valli records again"

• Like 4

I gotta' tell you, the Rescue Missions/Salvation Army stores around here (Syracuse) are apparently sorely missing out compared to most, if I go by the comments here. I very rarely see any consoles at all at the local stores. Once I saw a stack of PS1s at a store across town. And then there was the time that I found an N64 with a bunch of controllers and games fro $10 (which I picked up happily). And finally once I found a Genesis V1 with a Power Base Converter for $20, which I kinda' wish I had picked up. But beyond those 3 instances (and I go to those stores relatively often) its completely dry around here. :(

I just got back from a thrift store and purchased a Genesis 1 with power, three controllers, about 10 boxed games and 5 loose games for $20. I didn't need it, could imagine my wife saying "you don't need this!", yet I still bought it. Sickness. But a good sickness.

• Like 1

Mainly I see Game Boys and PS1 and 2 consoles around here. I followed a lead from Mary's Swap Meet to a thrift store out in Choctaw that supposedly had "tons of video games". Well, "tons of video games" equated to a couple of shelves crammed full of xbox consoles and a few controllers.

• Like 1

I have recently returned from a visit to a nearby city, that included hitting two thrift shops. I found:

PSX (original)

PS 2 slim

2 Game Cubes

and an Xbox 360 (priced at Cdn$60, console only -- no cables)

This is the very first current generation system that I have seen at a thrift shop. There was also a stack of miscellaneous controllers for various consoles and several V-Smile edutainment systems.

I saw a XB360 at Goodwill about a year ago, cables, controllers and all for $30. I took it to the TV section and hooked it up to try it out. Had RROD. I took it to the cashier and told them it was a defective system. They put it back on the shelf for sale. I went back a couple days later and some innocent victim had bought it.

I saw a XB360 at Goodwill about a year ago, cables, controllers and all for $30. I took it to the TV section and hooked it up to try it out. Had RROD. I took it to the cashier and told them it was a defective system. They put it back on the shelf for sale. I went back a couple days later and some innocent victim had bought it.

My kids say this is actually a good deal. You can send it in to Microsoft to have it repaired for $80, so total cost would be less than a new model. And according to them, the ones that MS repairs will not RR again. Not to mention the controllers alone are probably worth $30 -- especially if they were first party.

Edited by RickR
  • Like 1