IGNORED

VBXE hands-on

toad

I've got my VBXE, yeah!....and mine was installed with a vga HD15 connector.

I had two plans for getting this hooked to a flat panel monitor, both of which would utilize a HD15 VGA connector.

Try #1

http://cbm-hackers.2304266.n4.nabble.com/Anyone-ever-attach-a-mono-LCD-to-a-PET-td4618295.html

Users on various forums report that the NEC Multisync can scan down to 15khz - and that it works with Amiga.

This was $44 shipped for me from ebay - but it doesn't matter, the NEC LCD1550M did NOT work with my VBXE.

Try #2

As a backup plan I bought one of those arcade board to LCD converters.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FGBS-8220-Video-Converter-CGA-EGA-YUV-RGB-TO-VGA-Arcade-Jamma-Game-Monitor-to-LCD-%2F261153377967%3Fpt%3DLH_DefaultDomain_0%26hash%3Ditem3ccdf44eaf

This did work!

$32.99 - looks good to. I have a VGA cable going from my VBXE to the Arcade board, and a VGA cable going from the arcade board to the monitor.

I tried both the NEC Multisync, and a regular vga monitor that I know could never scan down to 15khz - both worked good, no banding - the best picture I've ever seen from the Atari.

This is a quick report, I'll take some pictures later if I get a chance.

back

portCloseUp

screen

wholeSetup

My camera isn't good - because the color on the screen is uniform, the camera itself made it look like its darker on top.

So I'm happy, but it's not working entirely.

It should have r-core since this is not an expanded memory Atari (in that way giving the atari 256k)...and I have no sound.

So I'll need a cable for the monitor port and try to get some sound out - but that's for tomorrow.

later

Edited by toad
  • Like 1

I am glad you started this thread. I was thinking to go the same way and got myself GBS-8220 Video Converter too. It came just yesterday. Can you post a diagram how did you connect all the wires between VBXE and GBS-8220 for noobs like me? I saw some diagrams on internet for atari st and amiga but seems to me nobody tried this converter with VBXE before.

I also heard that this converter may have some issues when connected to a pal video source, only ntsc works fine. Is you atari pal or ntsc? Mine will be pal...

I am using NTSC. Sorry to hear that about PAL.

I personally did not wire anything, but here are the pinouts:

1 Red video

2 Green Video

3 Blue Video

5,6,7,8,10 Ground

13 Composite Sync

All other pins are not connected.

With that being the output on the VGA connector on the back of the Atari - I just plugged in a standard VGA cable to the Atari output - and into the VGA input on the GS-8220.

Then the GS-8220 has 2 VGA outputs, I plugged in a standard VGA cable to the first one, and it goes to the monitor.

Now I've seen people on ebay who wire to the RGB headers on the board - but it seems to me they are creating some extra work, since the HD15 input on the board is not a pass through - it also will scan double. Maybe those people are trying to save a cable, but for me, just using a regular cable is simple and elegant.

Now even though I did not personally install this VBXE board inside the Atari- I will be opening the case and mimicking the work for when I do install my next VBXE board - so I don't mind taking some pictures of the insides, if that helps.

Very clean instal! Plus design of your monitor is king of matching with XL line. I have just ordered db15 connector from ebay, wondering now what will be the best tool to drill a hole at the back of my atary?:-) To instal vbxe board will be part of my task, so if you could take some pictures from inside of your machine and show how all is vired together it will be great. I believe that Lotharek shipped number of vbxe boards recently and in my opinion there will be more than few of us with an ambition to hook up their atari with regular vga monitors.

I will add my experience with GBS 8220 connected to atari pal machine later on.

Edited by jk40001

With the right sized drill bits you can make the corners for the 15-pin connector, then it's just a case of joining the holes to make 1 big one.

The thing to remember is that if you recess the female connector it will require space around it to allow the monitor cable to seat in properly so the overall clearance is somewhat more than the size of the jack. And remembering also that the screws to hold it in need holes and you need some plastic in between those holes and the bigger one.

I only went with the 15 pin connector because I already have a cable which hooked directly from it to a 1084 monitor. Otherwise it's maybe worth exploring other options.

• Like 1

rybags, just as you used a 15 pin connector because you had an application that needed it, jk40001 has a gs8220...which has a 15 pin input. he can use any standard VGA male/male cable for his use...what explore other options? Lol

I got advice a while ago that somehow ST or Amiga monitor ports were advisable, but not really, not for me, as I do not own any Amiga or ST monitor, I don't collect those lines, and I am going to exclusively use LCD flat panels...hence the gs8220 purchase.

Eh, it's a small point....exploring is good, but for me ST and Amiga monitors are not a need.

The ST port is not advisable.. It can be done.. But ST monitors are a massive RIPOFF, price-wise.. And they are the only application for that style jack, which is not easy to mount, or very commonly available.

If you own 15khz monitors already, then the amiga-style DB23 port is a good one to use. Companies sell premade cables to go from that style connector to all sorts of monitors, as well as a bunch of really kewl video devices like Genlocks, scan-doublers, SCART adaptors, etc.

If you know for sure you are going to use one of the asian made scan-converters like Toad did, then the HD15 is a good way to go.

If you dont want the VBXE extended features, but are installing the VBXE with the alternate oscillator and VGA-output FPGA core, then obviously, the HD15 is the way to go. You can even do this on an atari 5200.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, no reason to open a new threat for this. I am attempting my very first upgrade ever, it is a first soldering experience too. Here is my 800xl motherboard with VBXE 2.1. on it. Do you see guys so me obvious error from the picture? For instance a wrong wire connection? I desoldered R110 and Q8 and removed cristal, then just connected wires according to the table in Lotharek´s manual but I get no video output at all.

post-34165-0-83814100-1379880343_thumb.jpg

well I got my 2.1 in board the other day...I started but didnt finish. anyway I dont know what Im doing. I thought Id use my vbxe 2.0 machine as a guide, I did take pics but I dont think it's any help after all...the install was too well done...things soldered on the bottom side, things move from topside to bottomside...bits and bobbles that I dont have a clue about :)

Let me know how it goes for you...Ill probably end up following your pics.... I want to do my vbxe 2.1 install 'myself' lol, with as much help as I can get...it may be months before I get the time.

The 800XL is not an easy one to do a decent job of. There are alot of special considerations concerning the position of the chips on the motherboard, the space available, and the mounting method of the adaptor.

The XEs are alot easier to do a simple but reliable/effective install on.

Has somebody installed successfully the new vbxe card from recent Lotharek production already? If so, please post your experience and photos. It would really help.

Hello Ken

We still need some written instructions for both the old and the new version of the VBXE. You seem to be experienced enough... ;-)

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by jk40001

Hi,

hmmm... what you need more? I´ve installed a few times the old 2.0 and the newer 2.1 (from Lotharek) version in 600 XL, 800 XL and several XE & XEGS machines without any issues. The new version 2.1 from Lotharek fits very well in any XL - when built in the 600 XL, you´ve extract the ic sockets and solder the ICs directly in or solder them upside-down from soldering side of PCB. Otherwise there´s not enough space for upper case part with keyboard. Third possibility: Usage of machine-head micro socket pins (I got them from BEST electronics called "Eyeletts").

The instructions found on Lotharek´s website explains step-by-step what to do. There´s only a little bug on page 7. The VBXE chip-select has to connected to pin 9 (for $D6xx) and not to pin 8 as shown (Lotharek is already informed). When you´ve trouble (brown (PAL) or red (NTSC) screen after power-on), this might be the answer.

tf_hh is right.

I do what needs to be done on each particular machine, to get the best install. This is not an easy upgrade to install well. If you want the best install, its best done by people who are comfortable desoldering entire ICs and sockets.

Atari built many "versions" of their machines. If someone were to attempt to write a "one fits all" guide for installation in all possible scenarios, it would be really long, confusing to the average person, and would probably discourage more people than it would help.

The bottom line is.. If you dont have the xperience to SEE what needs to be done and do it, then for the sake of having a good reliable install you should probably get someone more experienced to do it.

Yep - for me the initial stuffup was a right botch job desoldering the Antic socket. Since then I aquired the skill by doing near 2 dozen Pokeys from 7800 carts and other ICs from redundant PC ISA cards.

I also used the junk stuff for soldering in practice - the Antic socket being easily the trickiest part of the install.

If you're competent at those things and they should be the first to be done as it can then be tested as functional without doing any of the remainder, then the rest should be pretty easy.

Probably mentioned before but on the 800XL there's that capacitor that gets in the way, best solution is to replace it mounted such that the legs can be bent so it sits over parallel to the board, giving much better clearance.

There is almost 3/8" clearnace under the motherboard on an 800XL, once you've shitcanned the shield. Depending on what exact build of 800XL it is, and what exact build of vbxe board it is, I relocate various components to the underside of the board. And yeah, anything I install in a chip socket, first gets a machined gold-contact socket on the motherboard. Best not to have to worry about bad socket connections in the long-term. The factory sockets are not made for long term reliability when anything other than flat sheetmetal chip legs are inserted in them.

final.jpg

That's (see photo) what had to be done on Toad's machine. The upper left pane of the picture is of the bottom side of the board. Thats one of Candle's original VBXE 2 boards. It sits perfectly paralell with the motherboard, doesnt touch anything, and doesnt come close to touching the underside of the keyboard. In this case, the ANTIC socket was replaced with an Augat normal height-profile machined socket. The wiring connections are done on the underside of the board (not shown) and grouped into a small "harness" with small zip-ties. Overall, a pretty clean intall I think.

Edited by MEtalGuy66
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

VBXE has to be used via the RGB video it supplies, the enhanced graphics don't appear on RF or other normal Atari sources.

A bummer in some sense but it does allow potentially 2 unique video outputs from your machine, potentially games and productivity software could put this to good use.

It does, yes. The only difference is that you need to use a special VBXE core in order to emulate PAL colour blending through the RGB port. In all other respects (apart from being much sharper and higher quality), the Antic/GTIA output from the RGB port is identical to what you'd get from the Y/C or Composite Video.

That is awesome ! I would love to do this, This may lead me into cutting holes into my beloved 1200XL.

The 1200XL is a prime candidate for VBXE, since the stock video sucks so much. VBXE is also a nice way to get a "free" 256KB memory upgrade on this machine, if you use the "R" core for VBXE. That did me fine until I got an U1MB inside my 1200XL (plus PAL mod, stereo, PBI, internal hard disk, etc). :D

VBXE has to be used via the RGB video it supplies, the enhanced graphics don't appear on RF or other normal Atari sources.

A bummer in some sense but it does allow potentially 2 unique video outputs from your machine, potentially games and productivity software could put this to good use.

well ,

connected ultimate, perfect,

stereo dual pokey, also ok

then vbxe 2.1 (lotharek)

works through composite,

and detects the board on your crysis demo, so it's working

but trying to get the vga out to a Philips standard resolution Lcd 20pf5120 :

philips-20pf5120.jpg

i can only get a grid of nice looking squares :?

is it out of sync?

or would i also need the arcade converter board?

Edited by Aking