IGNORED

Miner2049er faster

Thomas Jentzsch

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent job on the sprites doctorclu (though I prefer version A of Bob) !!

I believe its even better than the 800 version..

Do you have by any chance a sprite sheet of the game (800 version) ??

I'm trying to do something similar on the 5200/800 version:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282290-miner-bob-altrernative-sprite/

Excellent job on the sprites doctorclu (though I prefer version A of Bob) !!

I believe its even better than the 800 version..

Do you have by any chance a sprite sheet of the game (800 version) ??

I'm trying to do something similar on the 5200/800 version:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282290-miner-bob-altrernative-sprite/

Thanks for the above. Better than the 800? Nice!

Which one was the version A? Talking about this one?

post-4709-0-76693700-1535943759.png

As for the 800 sprites, I would record a segment of game then look at the recording frame by frame.

So screen shots created are as follows...

post-4709-0-51270600-1535943630.png

post-4709-0-31540900-1535943640.png

post-4709-0-82206100-1535943648.png

post-4709-0-18250100-1535943665.png

post-4709-0-92372200-1535943733.png

Walking frames...

post-4709-0-74338500-1535978467.pngpost-4709-0-43217100-1535978476.pngpost-4709-0-72390000-1535978485.png

When you look at the sprites for Bounty Bob you find a body, the head, the arms, the legs all in different places. That was their way of animating what was needed and giving it a unique color.

The legs as he walks (as you probably remember) scoot along the floor almost like a sweeping motion as more and more of the floor is changed in color as it is covered. And there was this little white arm that would sway back and forth.

You said you liked version A. Kinda liked that one too. There is a strange thing about Bounty Bob: he is a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police:

post-4709-0-76529900-1535978857.jpg

Why is the hat green and the uniform skyblue with white boots? Dunno. I just copied the Atari 800 version.

As I saw it there were multiple possibilities for Bounty Bob:

1) He is a Mountie.

a) Give him the Atari 800 colors.

b) Give him more traditional red and black colors.

2) He is a Miner (as we see in the cover art)

a) Give him a brown hat, red shirt, and blue pants like version A.

b) Give him all of a above, with a beard (like in the pictures).

The most recent versions of Bob (Gameboy, Android) have him in the miner look with a beard.

I was going for the Atari 800 look, which was used on the Apple 2, and other contemporary versions to the Atari 2600, so went with the Mountie with the large smile and off colored uniform.

Edited by doctorclu

And we completed the beardy look!!

Miner 2049er fans who played it on the Atari 800, come check out the new Bounty Bob sprite hack...

... and download it here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282290-miner-bob-altrernative-sprite/page-2?do=findComment&comment=4109877

post-4709-0-46955500-1536557474.png

Edited by doctorclu

• 5 months later...

Love it. If it's okay with you, I'd like to talk about it on an upcoming episode of my Youtube channel. I'm going to do an episode about homebrews and hacks. Nice job.

Found that the review for this was shown at the 9:50 mark of this video. Woot!

https://youtu.be/kfHSXzno72I?t=589

Edited by doctorclu

Thanks "doctorclu" and congrats to you! Now you can go around saying "Award winning hacker"!!!

The Atari Awards by ZeroPage Homebrew made 2018 a lot of fun. Honestly like many involved we were just changing and developing games the way we wanted to see them. But the award show was not only the icing on the cake, but it was awesome to see other homebrews and hacks. And your list you have going on, need to check that out to see other games to try.

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to playing the faster and sprite hacked versions this week. Excellent job. It sure would be nice to get both V1 and V2 into the same ROM. You could call it the "treasure trove edition." Just like another retro (inspired) game did recently. Anyway, this hack fixes/fills a big hole in the 2600 library.

I'm sure someone knows why, but my guess on why the original sucks is that someone probably did the first 3 levels as a PoC and then abandoned it as they rushed to get miner on every other platform imaginable. Then Tigervision came along and offered to buy the PoC and published it "as-is." They probably got someone else to work on V2 using V1 as a basis and we ended up with the 2 crap versions for the 2600.

Thanks Wongojack. I learn new bags of tricks as time goes on. I know that I need to decompile the two games and recomplile together. I am able to do this with 4K games, there are tricks I don't know yet to games that are 4K or more. But I WANT these games together, and one day, build new levels to make the traditional ten levels. I think, honestly, these games represented the levels with the more difficult/unique game mechanics. (Teleporter, lift, cannon, the smashers, the radioactive waste pit). I believe the other levels created would have examples of basic levels to work from.

I like what the game represents, but I am pretty sure it was kept an 8K game due to publishing cost. Cheaper to make a 8K game than a 16K game back then. As Thomas mentioned before, part of the used space was how each level has it's own sprites, it's own fonts, etc. That is a waste of space compared to most games that would simply reference one area where that is defined. So yeh, between the two games I had to hack the sprites six times. Now changing the pointers to one area would save some space at least.

But I do want to see the two combined + 4 more levels eventually in the future.

• Like 2

This is was a fun one to hack since I loved Miner 2049er on the Atari 800.

But more importantly the starter of this thread, Thomas Jentzsch, will also be receiving a hack award for this speed hack portion of this game..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be featuring Miner 2049er Faster Hack to try and get the top score in 2019 Homebrew Tournament Round #2 LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Doom Patrol (2015) by Ed Riley aka winkdot
- Bag Boy (2019 WIP) by KevKelley
- Miner 2049er (2018 Faster Hack) by Thomas Jentzsch (speed up hack), OmegaMatrix (reset bug fix), and doctorclu (sprite hack)

post-37205-0-66212800-1556652145_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You know Chewy, that is a question for Thomas Jentzsch, but my understanding was he changed the clock cycles to make the game operate quicker.   A trick I need to pick up on as that would help in altering games for slow emulators.  :D

Hey your message did flag me to read this message which had me looking at some pictures in fun and then wondering... could I have made Bounty Bob look even closer to the Atari 800 version?   I looked at this picture for days off and on...

574179812_ScreenShot2019-07-11at10_45_07PM.png.91fd2578349ed133dd3b282512809adf.pngand got...   1547786281_ScreenShot2019-07-11at10_32_47PM.png.b11b1f109c9edcb23647190abff14c2d.png

I like the brimmed hat (what originally inspired the hack... he needed a hat!) and I like Bob's smiling face.  So I subtracted the blue line at the bottom to make it possible for additional green line up top.   Also let Bob loose a little weight.   Let me know what you all think?   Like him fatter?  

Just wish this character were one line taller.   I'm sure some disassembly at some point would make that possible.

Miner 2049er 07 b.bin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doctorclu said:

You know Chewy, that is a question for Thomas Jentzsch, but my understanding was he changed the clock cycles to make the game operate quicker.   A trick I need to pick up on as that would help in altering games for slow emulators.  :D

Sorry, but you cannot overclock an Atari 2600. IIRC what I did was, I changed a counter variable, which controls the frames between each step of the miner. I would look it up, but my internet is currently dead slow.

• Thanks 1