IGNORED

will a rca pal studio II clone work on an ntsc tv?

rsb0204

hi guys. im interested in getting a Hanimex mpt-02 (love the fact it actually has controllers) but im pretty shure it wont work on an ntsc tv. the tv is an lcd hd Samsung I got in 09' I can get more info about it if needed. what im really asking here is, what will I have to do to make it work? also what kind of video connection would a console like this have? i would like to think its a variant of coax but i doubt its that simple. also it calls for a 9v dc power supply, as im shure the plugs are different i need to find a us (110~) equivilant, i know with a real studio II an Atari 2600 power supply can be substituted, would the same apply here? thanks for your help.

if you want some reference pic of the console in question there are plenty available here.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/photos.asp?t=1&c=1221&st=3

I have no experience of the MPT-02, but my M1200 has a built in cable with 75 ohm coax connector. I suppose you may need some adapter for the connector. While most modern TV sets in Europe somewhat can accept NTSC RF signals, I hear the opposite generally is not true.

As for power, my M1200 takes 9V DC, centre positive polarity with a 3.5 mm plug. I can't recall if that equals what the 2600 takes, but it might very well be so. If you are unsure about polarity, you can take it apart and trace where the leads go, which one is ground and which one is not.

Hi rsb0204,

Nope, an European game console/system will NOT work on an NTSC television, the vertical sync will roll and also

you will lose color. Either on a old TV (you may adjust the vertical knob) but still you won't have color.

What i did to be able to play with a Conic M1200 was by converting it to Audio/Video (A/V) and plug it

on an small NTSC/PAL TFT monitor (can ind these for around $30 on YouPay). Now i can play RCA

Studio II/clones games in color! =)

--- Sly DC ---

It depends if your TV is multistandard or not.

Usually Euro TV are multistandard, but for one thing modern ones hate old consoles (they expect a full power 8mhtz analog channel signal, and not a weak console signal) and most accept NTSC only through composite video, not RF (there might be color, but if there is no NTSC option, there will be no sound).

Anyway, for your TV, you gotta check in the menus if you can tune PAL channels on RF. Is the option is anywhere, then you are in luck.

If not, well, today, as it's cheaper to make TV multistandard, your TV might still accept PAL signal from composite input.

You can also search if you can obtain the "factory menu" on your TV. It allow hidden feature to be unlocked/activated... PAL compatibility might be in, too.