IGNORED

Anyone collect Tiger lcd games?

Dripfree

Anybody else remember the "Parker Lewis Can't Lose" episode where the gang discovers Jerry is addicted to video games? I remember there being a lot of Tiger handhelds in that episode. If you're so desperate for a fix that you'll settle for a Tiger handheld, then yeah, you definitely got a problem!

I had a Ninja Gaiden watch BITD. Still have it somewhere. That was my rationale for having it... at least I'd always have ONE game on me! I might still be using it if changing the batteries wasn't such a bother. Oh, and the wrist strap broke. And I don't wear a watch anymore because it's 2013 and I carry an iPhone. Oh, and I think wearing a purple Ninja Gaiden watch could maybe possibly have a negative effect on my sex life.

• Like 1

I never actively collected LCD games. I did end up with quiet a few over the years, but a few years back in a move I finally got rid of most of them.

I still have the two watches, a Pac/man watch, and a Star Fox watch, and I still have Fireball, an LED pinball game cause I loved those, as well as the Game Wizzard multi cart systems, but most of the other dedicated handhelds went.

Most of the old, really old ones were good, but around the late 80's and throughout the 90's, they just got to the point that you could count on them sucking. Add to that that they typically cost a LOT of money, $20-$50, and you were talking quiet an expensive pursuit for mostly crappy sub par games.

Granted, I didn't exactly have money, most I got for a buck or two at yardsales, or er....liberated from the games section at a local store via five finger coupon LOL :P I know, I shouldn't say shit like that but stil.

I don't know if the game wizard, or the lightsout machine is newer, but that's one of the newest ones I bought new.

Of the Tiger handhelds I've played, the standout for me is Space Harrier II. When I was a wee lad, I actually sunk a fair bit of time into this game, but I was fascinated with all things Space Harrier at the time. My imagination was almost certainly doing me a service by making the Tiger version more fun than it would ordinarily be, but the gameplay does feel kinda authentic. Compared to some of the truly junky adaptations of popular platformers into LCD handheld territory, this one bears a definite resemblance to Space Harrier with its perspective, and the LCD graphics are at least recognizable.

• 1 month later...

i don't actively collect them, but if I find them in the wild I'll grab them. I do have quite a few of them, though. The wakeboard-shaped Konami ones were always my favorite LCD games, though.

I enjoyed that Nerd video. I had Street Fighter II when I was a kid, and I thought it was awesome! Kinda makes me want to track one down now. I also had an R-Zone, the headset type. I don't remember having any specifically bad impressions of it, just that it was kind of strange and I never seemed to be able to get it to work correctly. I didn't "hate" it, per se, but I rarely played it (of course, I had Genesis and Playstation, so why would I?). I though it was kind of neat for what it was, although I always had to play in a room with the lights off or I couldn't see anything. I actually liked the controller, too, at least aesthetically. Overall it was a nifty curiosity even in 1996.

What about the little-seen pre-crash Tiger handheld games? They were quite a different animal from their late 1980s counterparts, with chrome cases and gameplay based on the company's line of Atari 2600 titles. That doesn't mean they were better, mind, just different. I had the King Kong game growing up, and while the action was mildly diverting, the graphics were horrible; tiny and undetailed. Say what you will about later Tiger games, but you had no trouble telling your hero was Mega Man or the Double Dragon twins or M. C. Hammer or whatever.

Speaking of M. C. Hammer, I wrote an article about his Tiger handheld game on 1UP a couple of years before that site folded. Ah, here it is!

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9023776

I just have to wonder what possessed them to make this. A dance and rhythm game on hardware barely capable of beeps and boops?

Also, I'd just like to state for the record that Tiger Pinball, in spite of its ultra-generic visuals, is a damn fine game of pinball. It made many an awkward trip from one divorced parent to the other a lot more comfortable. I think I actually rolled this one!

Finally, I had Star Trek: The Next Generation briefly, and its combination of space exploration and planetside phaser combat reminded me of a dumbed dumb Mass Effect 2. That goes to show just how similar the two franchises really are!

I recently picked up another one, Talking Baseball All-Stars, which is kind of interesting. Usually, "announcers" are the most irritating part of a sports game, but in this case they really enhance the "acceptable" (by lcd game standards) gameplay. The players from the most recent all-star game are announced by their last name with their accurate batting average and the gameplay is announced also.

There is supposedly also a talking Die Hard game by Tiger, which I would like to find, but I am sure the catch phrase would be truncated to a disappointing "yipee ki yay".

I don't actively collect them. If I find one and it's cheap, I suppose I'd pick one up, but I don't actively seek them. Most of what I have/had, are games I picked up as a child, mostly from friends, a few yard sales (and a few five finger discounts) Once I got a gameboy though, I didn't really bother with them though.

I am a big fan of LCD games since way back when(and yes I've always known it was "LCD" not "LED" duhh lolz.mistyped once on my status to give you a bad impression),but atm I only own a few,namely my Octopus and Snoopy Tennis Nintendo Game & Watches and one Tiger which is Double Dragon lol.

As far as Tiger handhelds go in general... Fun as collectables when you have some extra money to waste, but generally not very good games,although I still like to try them out because I like trying out a bad game once and awhile. The Double Dragon game really sucks btw lol.

I don't get it and usually turn it off after like 2 minutes. Others I've played had the same feeling although I do wanna get the Full House Tiger game just for giggles. Back in the 90's used to see them in stores all the time and I used to wonder like who the hell would spend money on those. They looked crappy to me even then,although now I collect them just because they sorta look cool although the gameplay is really bad.

Anyone post the AVGN Tiger games episode yet??

Ohh and gotta love this website...

www.pica-pic.com/

Post that on my status alot. That person has a cool LCD collection.

Of the Tiger handhelds I've played, the standout for me is Space Harrier II. When I was a wee lad, I actually sunk a fair bit of time into this game, but I was fascinated with all things Space Harrier at the time. My imagination was almost certainly doing me a service by making the Tiger version more fun than it would ordinarily be, but the gameplay does feel kinda authentic. Compared to some of the truly junky adaptations of popular platformers into LCD handheld territory, this one bears a definite resemblance to Space Harrier with its perspective, and the LCD graphics are at least recognizable.

Which is probably more than you can say for the Genesis version. Good GRIEF, what happened there?

That reminds me, Space Harrier 3D was just released for the 3DS. This is good news for me, because I fondly remember (perhaps too fondly remember) the Master System version with the 3D glasses. If any game was meant to be in 3D, this is it.

• 2 weeks later...

I collect handheld games in general hints my name... Check out my youtube channel for videos on all my handheld games. I will be posting a collevyion video soon so please subscribe to my channell ans spread the word http://www.youtube.com/user/handheldgamefan89

Here's pics of my collection (a little outdated but most are there:

post-37899-0-48390500-1387004835_thumb.jpgpost-37899-0-75681800-1387004836_thumb.jpgpost-37899-0-95774600-1387004837_thumb.jpgpost-37899-0-83894100-1387004838_thumb.jpgpost-37899-0-02367100-1387004840_thumb.jpgpost-37899-0-89001700-1387004840_thumb.jpgpost-37899-0-68958400-1387004841_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...