IGNORED

Taxman

JadeETC

Actually, I always thought it was a very good PacMan clone..

In fact, doesn't the story go that the company got in trouble and was told (by Atarisoft?) to stop selling it, and part of the resolution was that Atarisoft's PacMan was basically TaXMan rebranded to PacMan???

desiv

• Like 1

Rather interesting that Brian Fitzgerald called his software company H.A.L. Labs. While it is said he was inspired by the HAL 9000 computer, it should be noted that there was a Japanese game developer called HAL Labs that among their first couple of games made VIC-20 versions of arcade games like Pac-Man, Rally-X, Space Invaders and so on. Those games were OK to sell within Japan, but Commodore didn't have the rights to sell home versions in rest of the world. They renamed the games, but some of them got shut down anyhow (not by Atarisoft, but by Namco). Personally I find Jelly Monsters on the VIC is a better Pac-Man game than Atarisoft's official release some years later.

Rather interesting that Brian Fitzgerald called his software company H.A.L. Labs. While it is said he was inspired by the HAL 9000 computer, it should be noted that there was a Japanese game developer called HAL Labs that among their first couple of games made VIC-20 versions of arcade games like Pac-Man, Rally-X, Space Invaders and so on. Those games were OK to sell within Japan, but Commodore didn't have the rights to sell home versions in rest of the world. They renamed the games, but some of them got shut down anyhow (not by Atarisoft, but by Namco). Personally I find Jelly Monsters on the VIC is a better Pac-Man game than Atarisoft's official release some years later.

Any relation to the creators of Kirby?

Taxman isn't very good.

Super Puckman is a good pac-man clone.

Edit: Just noticed the one in the video is a little different than the one I have on disk...

I still have this on disk with my Apple IIc... I remember I figured out where the maze was stored and made a bunch of hacks to the maze. :) Good times.

If you want the original, you probably have to watch the auction sites for weeks, months, years. Perhaps ask on some Apple II specific forums if anyone has a copy they can part with. Since it was withdrawn, I suppose the number of remaining copies are not too many.

I found a loose floppy disk on eBay, but it looks to be homemade (two available, one already sold...) so in that case it might not have any collector's value. YMMV.

An original taxman very rarely pops up on ebay. I seem to recall only seeing it once in the past few years. The good news it there is little demand for it. If I recall, the selling price was around $30-$40 only. I own an original copy of the game which came with the zip lock baggie and the manual (those image scans are from my very own cover actually). Ziplock bags were pretty standard in 1980/81.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry I'm late to the thread. If anyone is still paying attention, I was the founder of HAL Labs. Brian Fitzgerald and I developed Taxman while in high school and as undergrads living in a trailer on campus at UC Irvine 1980-1981.

I take exception with any criticisms here. It was a nearly perfect copy of Pacman, far better than the other Apple clones and Atari produced versions for other platforms. Brian's bit mapping algorithms were way faster and far smoother (see Broderbund's Snoggle for instance) and the AI on our ghosts was damn good. We even replicated minor things like being able to pass through a ghost on rare occasions (1/255 collisions). Some people hate the keyboard controls, but the Apple's potentiometer based joystick, while great for flight simulators, was terrible for maze games which should be restricted to a four switch movement.

Indeed Atari did threaten lawsuits and then turned around and bought the product from us after Jerry Pournelle wrote a nice column about our situation in Byte. I modified the title screen to say PACMAN in a sort of yellow by quickly flipping hires screens between a green and red version (Apple II hires had no yellow).

I wrote the "bonus game" which was on the back side of the disk. It was a mediocre hi-res lunar land simulator written in AppleSoft Basic.

Oddly, even I don't have an original copy. If anyone has one I'd love to hear from them.

- Greg Autry

Edited by gautry
  • Like 8

I wrote the "bonus game" which was on the back side of the disk. It was a mediocre hi-res lunar land simulator written in AppleSoft Basic.

Oddly, even I don't have an original copy. If anyone has one I'd love to hear from them.

- Greg Autry

Taxman is a great game. I have the original disk, but there's no program on the backside of it. Is it possible it never made it onto the final release? I always thought the mention of a "free mini game" was just a gimmick. If you have the original BASIC program, I'd love to see it.

Indeed we were fans of the Fab Four during the "Beatlemania" days.

No problem with the pirate copy. Copy away with our permission. I remember that when I met my wife, her dad insisted on showing me his computer because he thought we could bond over that and he had pirated copies of several of our titles. :)

You know, I think the bonus game, named "HAL Lander" was moved onto the front in later editions. If you've got the disk just CATALOG it and see. It wasn't that great, honestly, but it did use the Apple Joystick nicely.

Fitzgerald has promised to send me a disk, if I can get my Apple IIgs cranked up, and read the thing and figure out how to transfer the file I'll post it somewhere. Sounds unlikely!

zdGr77J.png

If it is a DOS 3.2 disk, you might have your work cut out, but it's most likely doable. I'm pretty sure there's people here familiar with the appropriate tools.

I've only dealt with 16-sector stuff that was either unprotected or already cracked so it was just a matter of running ADT Pro and transmitting the disk image over the serial port.