IGNORED

Please recommend some of the best RPGs for 8-bit

crash

There are a few that I was not familiar with, so thanks for the suggestions. Loved Ali Baba, but never got into Heracles for some reason. Will have to try it again. I'm surprised there aren't more good RPGs considering how many 8-bit games were made.

Ultima III - fantastic - as I only had a copy (originally), try playing from scratch with no manual or anything where you work out all the commands and do your own world map - might take longer but it's an extremely rewarding game.

Questron was fun but I never put the time in to get very far

not quite a RPG but be sure to play His Dark Majesty

:)

The games I lost most late night hours to would be these, from most to least accessible:-

Alternate Reality - The Dungeon (probably The City too but for some reason I never got around to playing that one)

Ultima III and IV

Wizard's Crown and The Eternal Dagger (very hard core with a strategic battle system)

I'd find it very hard to pick a favourite.

I still have on my wish list to play (but I never seem to have enough time to devote):-

Temple of Apshai

Questron

Phantasie

• 6 years later...

I have Phantasie for the 8bit. Always lamented the fact Bards Tale came out for the C64 and not Atari. It looked so bad ass back in the day. A few years ago I finally got it for my NES. And now that I've spent time with it I think Phantasie is a better game. I wasn't missing much. 

Except it being in solid state with no disk drive to burn out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JagChris said:

I have Phantasie for the 8bit. Always lamented the fact Bards Tale came out for the C64 and not Atari. It looked so bad ass back in the day. A few years ago I finally got it for my NES. And now that I've spent time with it I think Phantasie is a better game. I wasn't missing much. 

Except it being in solid state with no disk drive to burn out.

I use a real, spinning hard disk so I have no Solid State Flash to burn out.

:)

• Haha 1

Pretty much any RPG from Origin, SSI, Epyx and Datasoft. They are all fun RPG's from DungeonQuest(Temple of Apshai) series to Phantasie and Wizards Crown, to Ultima series and Alternate Reality. And yes, I love me some good old Telengard too!

I never missed A Bard's Tale since I had the wonderful Alternate Reality games. It would have been nice, but I played it a bit about 15 years ago when I had a C64 I was restoring for sale, and I much preferred Alternate Reality to it. Though Bard's Tale is at the top of m y C64 software list when I get one for keeps soon.

20200528_233528.jpg

Edited by Gunstar