IGNORED

Speech Synthesizer - Full text to speech?

mos6502

I found the original TI Text-to-Speech disk on WHTech in the Lima user group library (1258.DSK). It was apparently released by TI into the public domain. No source code with it; but, I guess I could disassemble SETUP, XLAT and SPEAK to try to make sense of them.

Any suggestions on working with disassembled code?

...lee

• 1 year later...

Over 2 years later and here I am looking over this thread, because I ran into the same situation with speech not working and couldn't remember what I did.

The commands were all correct, the trick is to make sure they are typed in ALL CAPS, which other posters alluded to but nobody outright said was the solution, so I wanted to make that clear to anyone skimming through quickly.

I didn't realize it right away even after re-reading most of the thread :-)

The commands to get speech going can be found on page 34 of the Terminal Emulator II manual, located here:
http://www.digitpress.com/library/manuals/ti994a/terminal%20emulator%20ii.pdf

Well... this is the disk image in question... since it's just assembly code, we might be able to relocate it to run from ROM? I didn't have time to go through all the files yet, but this at least gets it in front of people. ;)

I remember playing with this back in the day, so it certainly did work! :) The disk seems to have all the documentation, too, which helps!

1258.DSK

• Like 2

I know Winfried Winkler took this code to migrate it to the Berlin Speech Board for the PEB, and that it was later adapted to use with the SNUG SPVMC board. I provided the disk to Winfried back when he was initially trying to figure out how to get the routines out of the TE-II, as I figured this program would be a bit easier to use since it was standalone. I'm pretty sure he disassembled it and went from there, as he turned it into DSR-space code. . .

• 10 months later...

I found the original TI Text-to-Speech disk on WHTech in the Lima user group library (1258.DSK). It was apparently released by TI into the public domain. No source code with it; but, I guess I could disassemble SETUP, XLAT and SPEAK to try to make sense of them.

Any suggestions on working with disassembled code?

...lee

Thanks Lee! I have been looking for the Text-To_speech disk image for a while. Also found some sound files to go along with it in the Lima UG folder.

Thanks Lee! I have been looking for the Text-To_speech disk image for a while. Also found some sound files to go along with it in the Lima UG folder.

Hah! I forgot I had posted that—two and a half years ago! Time flies when you're having fun. I need to get back to attempting to disassemble those programs sometime soon. First though, I need to finish revising my fbForth 2.0 manual. :grin:

...lee

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Necropost…

has anyone got a newer lead on the text-to-speech source code? Disassembled it again? Made a port of it?

At SMU, I found the TI source code to speech utilities in FORTH, which came with a Speech University Board (TMS7000 cpu.). Some parts in 7000 assembly. They are not text to speech. More like a frame-frame editor and speech data lister/coder. 

I’m starting OCR on the FORTH, since it was a published manual. 

Edited by FarmerPotato
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...