IGNORED

New 2600 game : "BRIK"

RePixel8

• 1 month later...

Labels look nice! I will be interested in such a release since I don't have a Harmony Cart here.

Hope the colours don't look too messy on my PAL console..

It looks good, with black background. But I did mind the flickering vertical borders. My eyes were hurting after a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey there RePixel... just caught your post about Brik in the JumpVCS thread. You mentioned after optimizing the code, you had room for a mini-Brik game that also uses paddles. Wondering if it was now possible (at the expense of the mini game if need be) to include proper paddle support for this game?

Hey there RePixel... just caught your post about Brik in the JumpVCS thread. You mentioned after optimizing the code, you had room for a mini-Brik game that also uses paddles. Wondering if it was now possible (at the expense of the mini game if need be) to include proper paddle support for this game?

I believe this game is made in batari BASIC. He would have to re-work the entire game to have proper paddle support normally. However, I seem to recall RevEng came up with a minikernel for paddle support as well. So, it's possible. Just isn't a simple change :)

• Like 1

Hi,

I did look at adding paddle support to the original Brik, but using BB it really didn't seem possible without simplifying the game too much, in which case it just would end up being a straight Breakout clone. It's more an issue of CPU cycles than Rom space.

However, this led me to find a way of implementing a Breakout style game in 4K, with paddle support, individually designed levels, delimited bricks, no flickering, and the result is by rotating the playing area and mirroring the bats it is just about possible within the limitations of the 2600 and BB with a small amount of asm. The result is Brik180 .

The "180" aspect is more by necessity than design, but I think it provides an interesting twist on the genre :)

As I mentioned in the other post, Brik180 will be available as a bonus game on the Brik physical cartridge which is to be released soon, but for now you can check it out at http://repixel8.com/games/brik180

Also due to popular demand, I managed to free a enough bytes in the original Brik to add the option to turn off the controversial flickering by using the console's Select switch. This version will also be available on the cartridge.

brik_rom32k_3.png

brik_rom32k_8.png

brik_rom32k_5.png

brik_rom32k_6.png

Edited by RePixel8
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'd buy a cart.

I received this game for Christmas. It's lots of fun although I wished it utilized the paddle controllers. The joystick can be a little jumpy at times. The scoring is also interesting as you receive 10 points for each brick you hit plus an additional 200 points for catching each "S" that falls from the top of the screen. There are at least two "S"s per screen making them worth nearly as much, or even more than the value you get from hitting the bricks. As a result, it becomes very important to catch each "S" if you want to get a high score. You can also get an extra life for catching a falling heart. I typically only see the heart on the first level though. Does it ever appear after the first screen? Is there a way to make it appear?

It's a fun game. I'd recommend it if you like breakout style games. I give it 4 stars (out of 5).

I also noticed that the pages in my instruction booklet were assembled in the wrong order. Did this happen to anyone else?

• Like 1