IGNORED

Alamogordo, New Mexico dig producers asking to talk to Atari fans...

Retro Rogue

Hey all, just doing a formal introduction for Maddie Stevens so you know this is legit. She's the assistant to one of the producers of the upcoming dig of the Atari dump in Alamogordo, New Mexico. She's wanting to talk to Atari fanatics who are genuinely interested about the dig, to learn exactly WHY it interests you. Why do you care if something is found there or not? What are you hoping to see and why does it mean something to you? Would it genuinely disappoint you if nothing was found?

I'll let Maddie take it from here...

• Like 4

well id like to find out if all the rumors are true, and if they are it would be interesting to see whats left of what they dumped. but from what ive heard even if something is there Atari destroyed it before or during the burial. would it disappoint me if they found nothing? slightly, but I wouldn't be suprized. kinda like roswell. it may have happened, it may not have happened. but a lot of us beleave it did.

At the time of the burial, a friend at work showed me an article and a photo from a newspaper (maybe the San Jose or San Francisco paper; I worked in Sunnyvale) describing how Atari was dumping all this inventory because of returns and financial problems.

Then, maybe ten years ago I learned that the episode had evolved into some kind of mysterious legend and spent a couple of hours reading various things about it. The way public attention has ballooned this into a "notable historical event" is interesting in itself.

I've been reading the Atariage topic (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/66637-ataris-landfill-adventures-i-now-have-the-proof-its-true/?hl=%20e.t.%20%20new%20%20mexico%20%20true) as it gets commented on. It's very entertaining.

• Like 1

I'd always assumed it was a myth, but I'd certainly be interested in seeing it if it does exist. Nothing wrong with a good "treasure" hunt. Who knows what's buried down there. Of course this isn't exactly distant history, so you wouldn't think we'd have to resort to archaeology for this one, but that's most of the fun. Might make for a good documentary film researching the myth(?) either way.

Heck, if it's pieced out, I wouldn't even mind a paperweight with some atari trash in it just to say I had some.

Of course I'm also way behind on this and just starting to browse the thread linked above (since I'm not a 2600 fan, and missed the thread over there)

Edited by Reaperman

For me, the story of buried carts has always had an "Area 51" ring to it. Really hard to believe they're truly there. Of course, I'm not one to believe that 2600 Pac-Man and E.T. "sucked so bad" that they double-handedly brought down the industry either. A lot of hoopla and scapegoating going on at their expense by the history changers all these years. So be nice to potentially set the record straight and put some of these myths to rest finally.

Besides, if *any* 2600 cartridges are to be dug up, probably be a bunch of Swordquest Airworld's! :lol:

• Like 1

well id like to find out if all the rumors are true, and if they are it would be interesting to see whats left of what they dumped. but from what ive heard even if something is there Atari destroyed it before or during the burial. would it disappoint me if they found nothing? slightly, but I wouldn't be suprized. kinda like roswell. it may have happened, it may not have happened. but a lot of us beleave it did.

I take it this is Maddie?

I, too, would be interested in seeing what's left of what they dumped. How good of condition? Any boxes or manuals left in pristine shape? When can I see the documentary?

I take it this is Maddie?

I, too, would be interested in seeing what's left of what they dumped. How good of condition? Any boxes or manuals left in pristine shape? When can I see the documentary?

No, her username is MadMaddie. I spoke with her on the phone earlier this week.

Send her a PM, she would love to hear from atari fans. She said that she was having problems finding ones she could actually speak to.

The way it is reported by some podcasts, and books, Atari did do this. They don't mention it as a rumor, perhaps because it attained urband legend status? I for one would love to be there. Any reason to go see the state I've idolized all my life. The company, I've loved all my life. Personally, I buy the story. I mean Atari seems to have swept many things under the carpet in their day.

I fear there could be more than shredded fails, but equipment. Prototypes? Those music things? I doubt, but can only hope it is something face-meltingly awesome.

Edited by Seethransom
  • Like 1

I can't say that I'm especially intrigued by the Alamogordo landfill; I think I already have a good idea of what is likely to be found there, thanks to Marty's diligent research, although I'm sure I'll be seeing the documentary anyway.

I suppose that the ongoing interest in it is another example of the fascination that many of us feel for spectacular failures of all kinds. The video game crash of the 80s was, in certain ways, similar to the dot-com crash of the early 2000s: it followed an intense period of excitement over a new technology, in which all kinds of people with more enthusiasm than business sense tried to get a piece of the pie, and subsequently lost their shirts. A lot of money was lost in the dot-com crash, in the form of worthless stocks or vanished venture capital, but those losses were almost entirely on paper. But a glut of unsold game cartridges piled high in a landfill would make for a concrete and highly symbolic image of the video game crash of the 80s, so it's understandable that people who are into video games would have a certain morbid fascination to see it, assuming that it even exists.

For another example, consider the ongoing fascination with the Titanic: we all know that it sank, and we all know what caused it, and yet people are still diving under the water to see the wreckage and gather artifacts.

Where do they think this landfill is located? The only places I could narrow down to a suspected location was either where the mall is, near the imax, or where walmart is located. Walmart looks like the only location that seems to be an obvious landfill. Goodluck digging there

Edited by Skarrj

Where do they think this landfill is located? The only places I could narrow down to a suspected location was either where the mall is, near the imax, or where walmart is located. Walmart looks like the only location that seems to be an obvious landfill. Goodluck digging there

Where are you getting these ideas from? The city knows where it is (hence the permit for that specific landfill) and the people who were involved with or at the dumping know as well (hence them being interviewed when all this broke back in May).

http://www.alamogordonews.com/news/ci_23342105/alamogordo-green-lights-search-buried-atari-game

http://www.alamogordonews.com/news/ci_23371252/film-company-poised-search-worst-video-game-ever?IADID=Search-www.alamogordonews.com-www.alamogordonews.com

http://www.universityherald.com/articles/3441/20130605/atari-landfill-excavated-canadian-film-crew-production-documentary-video.htm

• Like 1

Why, I'm interested in finding the millions and millions of ETs we all returned to the stores in the 80's because the game sucked so bad of course.

Well, *I* kept *my* copy of E.T.-- and I'm pretty sure *RT* kept *his*, too-- so "we all" is inaccurate by 2 or more. ;) As far as how many purchased copies of E.T. were taken back to the store with a demand for a refund, I've no idea how many it was, and I'd love to know (okay, maybe I don't actually care very much how many it was), but I doubt it was "millions and millions."

I *do* think that E.T. will likely go down as one of the most (if not *the* most) infamous video games in the entire history of life, the universe, and video games-- not because it deserves to be so widely maligned, but simply because of all the incredible hype surrounding it. It was hyped by Atari when it came out, and for decades it's been hyped by all of its haters as the game (or one of a few games) that toppled Atari and brought about The Video Game Apocalypse... er, I mean The Great Video Game Crash. There's no way E.T. could ever live up to all that hype, regardless of whether it's good hype or bad hype. It was just a game! I've played a lot of games for the 2600 that were far, far worse than E.T.-- although I doubt they were as expensive as E.T.

Where do they think this landfill is located? The only places I could narrow down to a suspected location was either where the mall is, near the imax, or where walmart is located. Walmart looks like the only location that seems to be an obvious landfill. Goodluck digging there.

There is a road between the Papa Johns and the Checkers auto parts, that goes back behind the businesses to the right, follow road left at the gas tanks (propane I think?) to the entrance to the old dump. Where in the old dump is the question. I need to go back and look at the videos I posted. Don't know if they are still on here from years ago. I have a dvd with the videos somewhere around here.

There is a road between the Papa Johns and the Checkers auto parts, that goes back behind the businesses to the right, follow road left at the gas tanks (propane I think?) to the entrance to the old dump. Where in the old dump is the question. I need to go back and look at the videos I posted. Don't know if they are still on here from years ago. I have a dvd with the videos somewhere around here.

Yes, that's what the garbage guy meant when he stated he thinks he knows where they are - he was referring to where in the dump itself. The location of the city dump itself is not under question. That's why they gave these guys 6 months to go through the dump to find the location.

I *do* think that E.T. will likely go down as one of the most (if not *the* most) infamous video games in the entire history of life, the universe, and video games--

If you're going for most infamous videogame of all time, Custer's Revenge is even worse... :yawn:

Edited by stardust4ever

Part of the appeal is that it has achieved a legendary status in the Atari community. People would like to know if there was any truth to the legend that Atari did in fact bury the unsold inventory of ET cartridges. Myself I would have thought they would have done something similar to what was done when items were sold to the O'Sheas who sold them over the years. Granted perhaps Atari did bury them to get a tax write off.

If nothing is found, of course, people will claim that they are digging in the wrong spot so I do not think the legend will die unless the entire area is completely dug up.

Edited by AtariDude
  • Like 1

That is what I was saying before. The Dig producer's staff is too long.

I'm more interested in any interviews they can do with the old Atari personnel, who are an eclectic group to say the least. I really don't expect anything of interest to be found in the dig itself.

Read Curt and Marty's Atari book; there's a ton of stuff in there from interviews.

• Like 1

The dump wasnt the source for the stories, there was suppose to be a a separate landfill they were put in. At least years ago when i lived there the dump wasnt where they were suppose to be. If you ever saw the town, the only place that appears to be on a fill is walmart. My bet is nothing will be pulled from the dump. Sounds like false intel to get anyone remotely interested in alamo.

Edited by Skarrj