IGNORED

Detroit Area Members Please Read

Sega Hitman

Apologies to the moderators if I'm in the wrong spot. Kind of a weird post to make in general...

I've worked flea markets in the Detroit area for years, most recently at Dixieland in Waterford, selling stuff like video games, magic cards, dvd's, and so on. I recently moved to New Orleans, and in a few week I'll be back in the Detroit area for good. I'm looking to setup downriver, most likely at Taylortown Trade Center, Gibraltar Taylor, or the Weekend Pickers place in Lincoln Park.

I've mainly posted on Digital Press in the past, but those members have been amazing to me, so in general, I'll reply to this later with a heads up of where I'm at. However, at the moment, I'm just looking for reviews of these buildings in general. I want to hear about what kind of vendors these buildings have, what kind of selection they have, prices, and so on. I would love to hear stories about how "this vendor always prices too low" or "this vendor always prices too high". Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have a very small window of time between when I arrive in MI, and when I'll actually be setting up shop and opening at one of these places. Please pm me with anything!

*****Edit: I did end up opening at Taylortown this past weekend. If you walk in the main entrance, I am in the far right corner. Only a few hundred games at the moment, but lots of complete NES, SNES, and Gameboy stuff. Prices should be 10-30% lower than pricecharting.com. Also selling around 1000+ dvd's, 300k Magic: the Gathering cards, and I'm sure I'll be picking up tons more randomness soon. I'll be there this Friday-Sunday. Not much to see yet, but come say hi if you're local!

Edited by Sega Hitman

Hello there. I drive two hours to get to dixieland and even further to get to gibralter or taylor town.

Best stop...always taylor town! its clean its free to go to...and there r several vendors for games.

Dixieland has a new vendor ran by two kids....toys games legos. Way overpriced and when they lowball someone for good stuff. Its not for sale even if u r willing to buy.

Taylor gibraltor costs to get in...there r too many vendors selling crap...and the only real game shop...buys way cheap...sells way high and are just there to piss u off.

Id go to taylortown everyday if i lived close...just to check new stock.

Good luck and if u set up..let us know and post an add on craigslist for sure just promoting yer wares

Chris

I was already leaning heavily towards Taylortown. From a business perspective, being open 5 days is glorious. Any specific information about the vendors there would be greatly appreciated, such as which ones have the best stuff, best prices, worst stuff, worst prices.....you catch my drift. I can accept credit cards, I have a facebook page where I take pictures of most of the stuff coming in, I email people when requests come in, I have a friend running a similar business at Dixieland so we'll constantly be trading with each other to get the exact right stock, so in general, I feel like I am doing this the right way. I don't have thousands of games to start back up with, and I know some people at Taylortown have a lot. I just don't really know about the quality.

Also, @Chris Leach, I have developed an appreciation for Dixieland drama. It's like watching a train wreck, you just can't pull yours eye away. I have seen some hiliarious Jerry Springer-esque stuff. Message me with stories about those kids. I think they moved out, but I cannot get enough of ridiculous stories from that place :).

There are three major vendors for classic games at Taylortown. Two of them are the usual "think you can get eBay prices" kinda people. The other one has a pitiful selection. She somehow replaced a VERY good vendor.

UPDATE: There may be one or two more but their stock is unremarkable and/or they leave their booths unattended most of the time.

I would go with taylortown. I love that place. My biggest gripe though is when nobody mans the booth. I've driven 45 minutes to get there on a weekend only to find half the booths that sell games closed. If your not gonna be there at least post your hours online or on the booth and stick to em. Sometimes I wonder how these guys even pay the booth rental. Dixieland is my second favorite but I rarely get out there because its too far ( I'm in grosse pointe). What ever you do don't use eBay prices to set yours. One vendor there uses the eBay price including shipping. I told him I might as well stay home and order it from eBay if that's your price. I also spend alot more money when I can bundle a bunch of stuff together and get a little off sticker prices.

If I do Taylortown I'll be there all 5 days, open to close. It's a business, and you can definitely tell the people who just want to do it as a hobby. In the past I've based my prices by half.com and amazon for loose stuff, and ebay for complete games or real rarities. That being said though, if amazon has a game for $20, and ebay auctions are ending around $18, I'm probably selling at $15. The vendors that sell loose games and sell for the complete price or the highest possible price are just absolutely baffling to me. The main reason I'm inquiring here is to see if vendors at Taylortown are that far in outer space with pricing, or whether they tend to stick close to reality.

At taylortown i see three regular game booths.

Right when u walk in to the,left u got the brothers sellin games. They buy alot and always have cash for quantity buys. their prices r reasonable and if u think its unfair....move on or make an offer. great To,deal with!

they carry everything they can buy. Ive even bought mvs games with shockboxes before from them. Very good sellers.

Then u got the nintendo lady. Only knows mario and pokemon..maybe that link character. Never bought anything from her cause she sells mainly mainstream stuff or kids games for high prices. She doesnt buy much

And then there is the guy in the fence. Tons of shit from floor to ceiling......and then the prices..they r all ebay. Plus some. They have some neo geo games but they r the same four that have been there forever!

doesnt buy unless he can buy low and sells at ebay still!

Worse spot in there! Tries to stockpile as much as possible but only sells little. Not really new stuff when i get there.

there r always a couple others but nothin to worry bout. Never anything new to see.

As for you?

worse thing u can do is open a booth..make me dig through your shit and then tell me what im willing to find.....isnt for sale!

stay clear of that and maybe ill see u at the flea market soon!

I edited my original post, but for my first few months back in MI we were going to live in Lapeer. I planned on commuting to Downriver, but has anyone gone to any of the flea markets in the Flint area? Specifically City Market? I can tell from craigslist ads that one specific vendor that has an amazing setup, just not for video games.

Flint has the giant public market on dixie hwy...pretty nice new location. They could use a huge game store in here. The main vendor is huge toy collector with outrageous prices....

Keep yer prices fair and u got my business....then you are about an hour from me and my friends...

Flint has the giant public market on dixie hwy...pretty nice new location. They could use a huge game store in here. The main vendor is huge toy collector with outrageous prices....

Keep yer prices fair and u got my business....then you are about an hour from me and my friends...

City Market, afaik, is on Dort Hwy. Is this the one you're talking about?

At taylortown i see three regular game booths.

Right when u walk in to the,left u got the brothers sellin games. They buy alot and always have cash for quantity buys. their prices r reasonable and if u think its unfair....move on or make an offer. great To,deal with!

they carry everything they can buy. Ive even bought mvs games with shockboxes before from them. Very good sellers.

Then u got the nintendo lady. Only knows mario and pokemon..maybe that link character. Never bought anything from her cause she sells mainly mainstream stuff or kids games for high prices. She doesnt buy much

And then there is the guy in the fence. Tons of shit from floor to ceiling......and then the prices..they r all ebay. Plus some. They have some neo geo games but they r the same four that have been there forever!

doesnt buy unless he can buy low and sells at ebay still!

Worse spot in there! Tries to stockpile as much as possible but only sells little. Not really new stuff when i get there.

there r always a couple others but nothin to worry bout. Never anything new to see.

As for you?

worse thing u can do is open a booth..make me dig through your shit and then tell me what im willing to find.....isnt for sale!

stay clear of that and maybe ill see u at the flea market soon!

The idiot by the fence :grin: He has the same stuff all the time and wont even budge a penny on his above ebay prices . I think he just likes to be a hoarder and to be able to say he has a store . I have seen worse though .

Edited by AtariBrian

The idiot by the fence :grin: He has the same stuff all the time and wont even budge a penny on his above ebay prices . I think he just likes to be a hoarder and to be able to say he has a store . I have seen worse though .

There is a db just like this at the mt clemens gibraltor. That guy has outrageous prices on everything. He even told me in 2001, that a spring loaded atari cart was more expensive than a no spring end cart..

Wtf?

And yes dixie highway.......dort highway...same place to me.

• 4 weeks later...