IGNORED

4-port system, but came in a 2-port box -- strange

dougy76

I have a complete 5200 system that I've had for some time that I've always thought was a little peculiar. The system is a 4-port, but it came in the smaller 2-port box. My understanding was that the smaller box was enabled later in the system's life and was limited to 2-ports only. The picture of the system on the box is actually a 2-port system. I don't think the system and the box were swapped because the serial number on the box and on the system match. Also, when I got the system years ago it was clear it had never been used as the original masking tape was still intact along the panels and the controllers were still untouched and perfectly wound and tied in the controller compartment. So I think the original owner bought it, dumped it in his closet, and never touched it.

Anyway, has anyone else observed this or have any inside information into this? The original price tag on the box is only $59.99, so I've always assumed it was bought during or after the crash and it was something weird Atari did during this tumultuous time to dump their inventory.

The 2-port box was actually the same size as the original 4-port box. When Atari Corp. rereleased the 5200 in 1985/86, they switched to the smaller box in order to cut costs.

In the case of this one, it's all Atari Inc.! So Atari Inc. must have already started shipping with the smaller box before the Atari Corp transition.