IGNORED

Games that should be redone

Thomas Jentzsch

I think Zaxxon should be remade, but NOT like traditional Zaxxon...

Keep the behind then ship perspective...

Because to ME that IS Zaxxon... I loved Zaxxon 3-D on the Sega Master System... and the VCS port is the only game close to it.

• Like 1

My three are:

1) Gyruss

2) Kangaroo

3) Superman

I'm curious how you would want to improve Superman. It's gloriously chunktastic and surreal as it is. Also, what would you call it? Super Superman? Super Duperman? Superman II, the ntavio cut? ;)

I would like to see the entire Activision library redone so the graphics more closely resemble the box art. Smooth corners, and rainbows everywhere! For best results, this would be done on modern hardware, not on the VCS. :P

• Like 1

Gyruss. The Parker Bros version is quite good considering the limitations of the VCS. A DPC+ version could improve the music (think Pitfall II) and possibly help to reduce flicker.

Burgertime. Just echoing what many have already said.

Ms. Pac-Man. Another game where the original is already quite good. After seeing the great Pac-Man 4K and 8K versions released lately there is room for improvement in Ms. Pac-Man.

HERE: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/89358-mshack-edit-of-hackem/?hl=%20ms.hack#33;

HERE

... but I said NOT like traditional Zaxxon.

Lose the 3/4 overhead and go for a behind the ship ala the Sega Master System.

In fact the way Radar Lock or Solaris were programmed, but instead incorporating Zaxxon elements would be the real thing!

• 2 weeks later...

A more polished version of Planet Patrol would be great. Especially when playing on those late TIA consoles. So far I have tested these different versions on my console (Junior, PAL, China, 1991 on the box):

Planet Patrol - Planeten Patrouilie (1982) (Spectravision, Spectravideo - Quelle) (SA-202 - 412.851 8) (PAL).bin
Planet Patrol - Planeten Patrouilie (1982) (Spectravision, Spectravideo - Quelle) (SA-202 - 412.851 8) (PAL) [different spaceship].bin
Planet Patrol (1982) (Play Video) (PAL).bin
Planet Patrol (1982) (Spectravision, Spectravideo) (SA-202) ~.bin
Planet Patrol (1983) (CCE) (C-830).bin
Planet Patrol (1983) (CCE) (C-830) [a].bin
Planet Patrol (Unknown) (PAL).bin
Planet_Patrol_NTSC(Supercharger).bin
Planet_Patrol_PAL(Supercharger).bin

All non-supercharger ones have graphical issues with spaceship and vehicle in landing section, apart from [different spaceship] version that on the other hand lacks multicolor on spaceship. The issues seem to be the common problem with different TIA (late production console) - spaceship and vehicle all spread horizontally into lines across the whole screen - ugly, affecting gameplay a lot.

All super charger versions have totally strange "active scanlines" area where if you have your screen set up for all 2600 games just fine, these 2 will not display the very bottom life / fuel information, and if you set up your screen specifically for these 2, the rest of 2600 portfolio is going to be unnecessarily squashed, especially PAL games. I have a feeling that the supercharger versions have the upper portion of the screen empty, whereas there is quite a good number of games that use that upper portion...

So actually the only usable Planet Patrol for my real console is Planet Patrol - Planeten Patrouilie (1982) (Spectravision, Spectravideo - Quelle) (SA-202 - 412.851 8) (PAL) [different spaceship].bin out of the lot... But still there is that "issue" with monochrome spaceship and jerky movement of the objects that seems to be partially fixed in Supercharger ones. And one more note: Planet_Patrol_PAL(Supercharger).bin is actually a PAL 60 version.

Some people have mentioned Space War. I had a lot of fun with this game back in the day but a modern remake with more options and a better looking sun would be brilliant.

Also Video Olympics - why wasn't Quadrapong made 4 player versus instead of 2 vs 2? By all means keep the 2 v 2 but add a 4 player mode. Less eye watering colours and a choice of target score would complete that game.

Surround is crying out for a remake. Less monotonous sounds and a touch up of the graphics with some optional maze/barrier layouts would add some interest. Also have some "snake game" options a bit like Tapeworm had.

• Like 1

A more polished version of Planet Patrol would be great.

How can one improve perfection?! ;)

Ha, so true! The game is really nice the way it is. One of my favorite budget or closeout releases I bought from Kay*Bee back in the day and one of Spectravideo's best. Played the hell out of it growing up!

You know your game is good when you include it on your other offerings. :lol:

post-13896-0-29146500-1453817322_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'd love to see a game like Miner 2049'er, but with more levels. Really loved both of those games (Miner and Strikes Back) on the Atari 8-bit computers.

..Al

Agreed. I recently discovered this game when playing someone else's collection of 1,000 games on my Retron 77. I thought what was there was good considering the Atari 2600. I hacked a sped up version that Thomas did and sprite hacked the game to resemble the Atari 800 version more, so come check it out here...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/216412-miner2049er-faster/?do=findComment&comment=4094286

post-4709-0-93998200-1534656177.pngpost-4709-0-55601000-1534656160.png

Now we if we could only combine the first and second volume into one 16K game for all 6 levels and later hack the last 4 levels.

(Or better yet, one day make a 32K and hack and create Miner 2049er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back all in one game!)

(But I would be happy just to have to existing six in one game for starters....) :)

Edited by doctorclu

Zaxxon, absolutely Zaxxon. Just an all around bad port.

I might be alone on this one but Barnstormers could probably be polished up a bit. It's not a bad game per se, but I always thought it could use a little extra something to make it a bit more interesting. The constant up-down gets pretty boring after a while.