IGNORED

Games that should be redone

Thomas Jentzsch

I'd like to see Adventure redone with better Dragon Sprites and the Blocky hero replaced with a stock-man with a sword and shield. Other games have shown this is possible. Also Amidar can have much more detailed sprites and animation.

Part of what you want has already been done. :)

E.T.

Not trolling or joking. I believe there is a good game that can be made from the concept. either as a platform title or as a puzzle game. I also feel that accomplishing such a task, meaning making a decent ET game, would bring an incredible amount of press to the site. It really would be quite an event.

Change the pits to bushes.

Or... change the pits to trees and shrubberies in the early levels, then replace them with the pits in higher levels...

Edited by Inky

Part of what you want has already been done. :)

Wooahoow, nice work! Congratz.

Change the pits to bushes.

Or... change the pits to trees and shrubberies in the early levels, then replace them with the pits in higher levels...

Brilliant!

The kind of idea i'd liked to had.

Sometimes, I'am thinking about what concept could be used for a remake of ET... this is definitely a very good one!

I thought I posted on this, but must have been a similar thread - maybe 2600 to 7800 thread.

US Games Raft Rider. This actually a fun idea, traveling down the river rapids on a raft with the speed varying and having to avoid rocks, moose and the beaver's logs while trying to grab gold nuggets with your oar, but the execution was pretty abyssmal. I think this game could go from stinker to winner if done well.

Data Age Bermuda Triangle: I would say the above applies to this one, as well, except for the gameplay, of course.

Activision's Enduro: Pretty good, really, but could benefit from graphical improvements.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the inspiration! I've had a real hard time getting back to SpiceC, think it's due to the shear amount of work needed for my original plan to use Frantic as the initial test project.

Space War was one of my favorite 2600 games growing up. It hasn't aged well, though I still have fond memories of playing it with my siblings and friends. After seeing your comment when the topic got necrobumped I've decided it would make a better initial test project. This weekend, after wrapping up an update to Stella for Chetiry, I plan to resume work on SpiceC and:

1. Get my multiplexed player routine going. With this I can get an initial game running with ships, shots, sun, etc, they'll just flicker a bit more than in later builds.
  2. Get the menu going so game options can be made.
  3. Get my multiplexed missile routine going. With this I can draw the shots using the missiles, reducing the flicker of other objects.
  4. Get my multiplexed ball routine going. With this I can add a background starfield like in Draconian.

Not sure how far I'll get over the next few weeks, but I do have a goal of at least 1 & 2 to have something to show during my presentation at the Houston Arcade Expo on October 20th.

Ehm...

I bounced on this thread and I saw many people wanting Space War redone.

My little effort here :) .

I always liked space Space War despite its' poor graphics and two player only mode (except for the boring space shuttle variant).

This is an early/mid WIP (with almost working kernel) and my goals should be:

• two player and one player mode (with some AI for player two)

• more game variants: no central object, sun, indestructible space base, destructible space base, black hole (wormohole with random place reappearing ship) and black hole with inverse gravity. All variants with or w/o space bounds

• no title screen (I love the vintage colour cycling attract mode)

• normal shot and (with long button push) space mines (with delayed or telecontrolled explosion)

• 4K or 8K game, no DPC+ (too difficult for me at this time)

I worked on this project some years ago but I gave out after some time. Now I re-picked up the source code and I'm reviewing/optimizing all. I have not so much spare time because of my work and my family, so it will be a very long term work.

It would be cool to get two different Space War new games: a cheap one (mine) :) and a full fledged one (SpiceWare's DPC+ enhanced one) :-o .

If I'll have updates I'll post in homebrew forum.

spacewar.bin

• 4 months later...

I think Custer's revenge could be better and needs a remake. It would be nice to have AtariVox support with some sweet one liners. It also could benefit from some extra stages and more modes.

I don't know how sincere or not this post is. But, he's not wrong. It could be done better. :evil:

After revisiting both the Atari 2600 game for Krull and the motion picture for the first time in over 30 years, i kind of feel that the game was missing quite a bit from the film, and it didnt,have to be that way.

Not having any boulder-dodging minigame was a major omission, and randomly having glaives strewn randomly about the land only to be acquired while passing by at full clip on a fire mare...just ridiculous! And where's the quicksand!?

I think Custer's revenge could be better and needs a remake. It would be nice to have AtariVox support with some sweet one liners. It also could benefit from some extra stages and more modes.

I don't think the world could handle that game today...

The online click-bait magazines would catch wind that somebody was remaking it, and the next thing you know this site gets shut down by an angry mob.

The online click-bait magazines would catch wind that somebody was remaking it, and the next thing you know this site gets shut down by an angry mob.

Let them try, they will hoot and holler then get distracted to holler at the next outrage. If you remain steadfast and silent things will blow over. If you engage or comment you keep it in view.

Apparently Steam has a Rape Simulation game for sale... called Rape Day... so unfortunately maybe this game does have some merit today.

*EDIT: upon a quick Google search so I could add a link.... it was apparently taken down 2 days ago.

But there's still a LOT of info available about it, and we all know it'll be available somewhere for download somehow soon, if not already.

*DOUBLE_EDIT: Is 'merit' the right word to use here? not trying to be a troll or support something like this... just posting facts.

Edited by Torr

This is the suggestion that got me most excited in this thread.

The graphics werent complicated, but getting the colors and pyhsics correct might be an issue.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aqcDFAphThY

One of the playfield variants has about 10 blocks on the same vertical line. Each of those blocks can be an independent color, so you would have to mix using P0, P1, and background so that you could display each of the blocks as the correct color, and I am not even sure if there is enough time to change the color colors. (If there are only 3 colors, it might be possible...)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/170018-multiple-colors-per-scanline/

The other hard part would be getting the physics correct. The game was made on a dedicated microprocessor and I dont think the source code exists.

• Like 1

The graphics werent complicated, but getting the colors and pyhsics correct might be an issue. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aqcDFAphThY

One of the playfield variants has about 10 blocks on the same vertical line. Each of those blocks can be an independent color, so you would have to mix using P0, P1, and background so that you could display each of the blocks as the correct color, and I am not even sure if there is enough time to change the color colors. (If there are only 3 colors, it might be possible...)http://atariage.com/forums/topic/170018-multiple-colors-per-scanline/

The other hard part would be getting the physics correct. The game was made on a dedicated microprocessor and I dont think the source code exists.

I'm not sure it's directly applicable, but I recall the homebrew Chunkout displaying at least 8 different colored blocks one one line.