IGNORED

Games that should be redone

Thomas Jentzsch

bB and the Stella emu - yes those are games too :)

bB is awesome but I wanted to create a version of BASIC that also supported vintage BASIC syntax where the GUI designers optional with large Mario World style virtual worlds and a camera object (http://RelationalFramework.com)

I like the way Atari recreated the emu for the Flashback without the Frankenstein CPU, Javatari too.

But I think that the Frakenstein projects are also cool, this ones pretty interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drtL5uWlfJA

• Like 1

@Flojo. Maybe. Beside the arcade version,my fav port was actually the B/W Mac version. Heh. Maybe because of the mouse. The 2600 version could be improved with support for a precise controller... Like the arcade version and Mac had. That made the game.

My three? Hmmm.

Space Jockey

Survival Run

Venture

• Like 1

I liked that port too, though it came much later than the Parker Brothers versions.

The same Brøderbund programmer. Jurgen Freidrich, did the Mac, Amiga, and Atari ST ports. I would think they have some 68000 code in common. The Amiga version is like the Mac version but with fat color vectors, which is even better.

I'd like to buy him some donuts.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,26633/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A long time ago when I first started getting into retro gaming I was inspired by a DIY article about making your own Star Wars Arcade flight yoke... It was on www.byoac.com (build your own arcade controls).

Anyway, I think this link is an iteration of the original step-by-step...

http://arcadecontrols.com/hosted/yoke/

I wonder if this could be used on an Atari trackball interface and play this game version? Food for thought.

Wish I had the animated GIF of the original article of the PVC yoke... It was pretty rad.

If somebody redoes Q*bert, please get rid of the crevice between the cubes down the middle of the screen.

- Jr Pac Man: make it a horizontal scroller like the arcade version

- Megamania: Give us paddle controller option

- Crackpots: Give us paddle controller option

- Donkey Kong: At least give us the elevator screen or pie factory levels

Have you've ever played Donkey Kong VCS?

But my vote is for Space War.

After seeing Star Castle and Space Rocks, I can't help but fantasize about what a new version of Space War would be like on the 2600.

Thanks for the inspiration! I've had a real hard time getting back to SpiceC, think it's due to the shear amount of work needed for my original plan to use Frantic as the initial test project.

Space War was one of my favorite 2600 games growing up. It hasn't aged well, though I still have fond memories of playing it with my siblings and friends. After seeing your comment when the topic got necrobumped I've decided it would make a better initial test project. This weekend, after wrapping up an update to Stella for Chetiry, I plan to resume work on SpiceC and:

1. Get my multiplexed player routine going. With this I can get an initial game running with ships, shots, sun, etc, they'll just flicker a bit more than in later builds.
  2. Get the menu going so game options can be made.
  3. Get my multiplexed missile routine going. With this I can draw the shots using the missiles, reducing the flicker of other objects.
  4. Get my multiplexed ball routine going. With this I can add a background starfield like in Draconian.

Not sure how far I'll get over the next few weeks, but I do have a goal of at least 1 & 2 to have something to show during my presentation at the Houston Arcade Expo on October 20th.

• Like 4

That is cool, Spice! I have said the same thing about Space War. It has not aged well and it can certainly be made better with the programming techniques that are used nowadays. Another game that I'd like to see hacked and improved is Night Driver. A better car for the player and better scaling of the houses and trees would make the game better. I think it's only a 2K game, so I wonder what making it 4 or 8k would permit.

• Like 1

This weekend, after wrapping up an update to Stella for Chetiry

We plan to do the 6.0 release of Stella late this month or early October. It would be great if you had Chetiry support done for then. Not absolutely required of course; it can go in anytime. It would just be nice to have it in a major release, since I can't say when 6.1 will happen.

No pressure :-D

• Like 1

I want to vote for Space Wars, as I played the hell out of the big Cinematronics arcade cabinet back in the day. The arcade at Ocean Beach Park in New London, Connecticut actually had one of these beasts, and I remember it fondly! I'm not sure I've seen another one in working condition since those days of the very early 80s. Space Wars on the Vectrex is also quite a bit of fun, and a friend and I would routinely play it for hours. Even on the small screen it was still amazing fun. So, I'd really love to see a proper 2600 version. :)

..Al

• Like 1