IGNORED

HELP! identify this customized Sega MK-2103 power supply.

First thing, MY MEMORY SUCKS, secondly, I am going through my severally disorganized collection compiling items to send to people and among the items I found this Sega MK-2103 power supply. Now this would typically be for a USA/CAN Genesis model 2 or 32x. OUT PUT RATING IS:

10v DC 0.85A ACCORDING TO THE LABEL, BUT HERE IS THE THING, IT DOES NOT HAVE THE USUAL CONNECTOR TIP ON IT as you can see from the pictures. Now typically, I try to use Power supplies that or exact match for the consoles rated specification or damn close to it, I am no electrical genius for sure lol. Now I have had at times received modded power supplies like this, and very likely I received this one bundled with either an original console or some type of modded console but at this point I have been unable to match up and figure out WHAT this belongs to, that tip appears to be usable with 2600 and compatibles but do those ratings match up? Are they close enough? 99% chance I got it from someone here with some console for sure. I would assume it IS outputting the rated voltage as the label specifies (don't ask I do NOT have a multimeter and would not know how to properly use it) so what consoles might that be fore with that listed output? They seller might know right off the bat, my own damn fault for not being more organized, I have labeled some of my power supplies but this one is a mystery for now. PLEASE HELP, thanks to any for insight/info.

post-10336-0-64393500-1379114794_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-88643200-1379114811_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-99662600-1379114820_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-65707300-1379114831_thumb.jpg

The original 2600 power supply is 9v 500mA, but 10v should work too. The question is whether the polarity is right. The 2600 is center positive. Unfortunately we can't trust what it says on your power brick, as the new connector could have been connected in either polarity. The only way* to tell is with a multimeter. You really should learn to use one in this hobby, it's not terribly difficult.

*well I suppose you could power an LED with it in both directions and see which way works and which way fries the LED. Or you could make an electromagnet with it, and determine the polarity of the magnetic field with a compass. But a multimeter is probably easier.

• Like 1

The original 2600 power supply is 9v 500mA, but 10v should work too. The question is whether the polarity is right. The 2600 is center positive. Unfortunately we can't trust what it says on your power brick, as the new connector could have been connected in either polarity. The only way* to tell is with a multimeter. You really should learn to use one in this hobby, it's not terribly difficult.

*well I suppose you could power an LED with it in both directions and see which way works and which way fries the LED. Or you could make an electromagnet with it, and determine the polarity of the magnetic field with a compass. But a multimeter is probably easier.

Assuming it IS connected properly, you say 10volts is OK is 0.85A also OK? Sorry I know NOTHING about this type of thing. Is output of 10volts .085A well within the tolerance levels for most 2600 compatible consoles? Because so far I am leaning towards it being for one.

@Sqoon I don't have a SEGA PICO so definitely not. the only thing I am 100% sure is that it DID come with a console and worked well, I DO recall looking at it and thinking "Huh, well ok then......" then going ahead and using it.

somewhere I have the exact A/C adapter...I don't know what it belongs to though. for some reason I used to always find that power adapter when I'd hook up my Genesis.....I'm curious what this thing is from.

and don't own and never have owned a Sega Pico, so I doubt that's it.

Edited by Necron99

Confirmed by wolfpackmommy it was bundled with an Atari Jr. I got from AX. And that does seem familiar thinking on it, at some point I just paired up my Jr's (I have 2) with original power supplies and forgotten what this one was for. OK YAY mystery over.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

The 2600 (and a lot of other consoles) contain an internal voltage regulator that takes whatever unregulated DC power is fed in and knocks it down to a stable 5 volts. As long as you have enough voltage for the regulator to maintain a stable output, and the correct polarity, you will be fine.

So, basically, anything that is at least 7 volts and not much more than ~12, enough AMPs (extra AMPs are OK), and the right polarity, will be fine.