IGNORED

7800 50hz to 60hz mod?

DeV0

Hi All

Ok, im wanting to mod the atari 7800 from 50hz to 60hz, I have 3 PAL 7800's, I can't find anything and im guessing it's not rocket science?

Galaga plays really slow as does Ms Pac (slower than ntsc), Any help would be great. Not after a country lockout mod but just a 50 to 60 hz mod.

Truth is almost all my consoles are japanese on the basis that the speed of pal annoys me, luckily the xbox and most cube games have this as an option.

Hi All

Ok, im wanting to mod the atari 7800 from 50hz to 60hz, I have 3 PAL 7800's, I can't find anything and im guessing it's not rocket science?

Galaga plays really slow as does Ms Pac (slower than ntsc), Any help would be great. Not after a country lockout mod but just a 50 to 60 hz mod.

Truth is almost all my consoles are japanese on the basis that the speed of pal annoys me, luckily the xbox and most cube games have this as an option.

That's what I hate about PAL. It moves at a sluggish pace. :sleep: But why the heck are you trying to convert your 7800s? :? Do they use NTSC in Aussie? However, I can't help you. But, you could try using a search engine to look for this type of project! :idea:

well you can't really since the PAL and NTSC atari 7800's use different MARIA and TIA chips - and its those chips that decied wether it's 50 or 60hz

I don't know what you're worrying about...there are usualy seperate PAL and NTSC versions of any given game for this reason (among others), a PAL version of galaga was coded specificaly to run on 50 hz PAL ataris and the NTSC version on 60hz NTSC ataris. Though this isn't always the case with some games for newer game systems.

Pal machines are generically slow and damn awful to play, Played a pal SMS lately??

Changing from 50/60hz is generally a very basic mod, however i dont have the know how for a 7800. An ntsc cart will still run slow on a borderline screen with a pal atari regardless.

Yes, tv's here generally pick up ntsc, seacam and the the rest. Pal IMHO is a better tv system for TV, However alomst all games are manufactured in ntsc countries (less scanlines) and therefore have a very shit port over to PAL. A good place to find this would be any pre DC sega console, Turok and FFX on the PS2, Its been a problem forever that only the cube and xbox seemed to have conquered.

I have modded the following successfully

sega saturn

snes

Mega drive 2 (thanks zero)

Only SMS2 and ataris to go

• 16 years later...