IGNORED

7800 Theory of Ops & T/S Guide

Blue Azure

I looked but never found these Atari 7800 docs on the net. This is a copy of the telex from 1984, but still readable. With the XM release pending, it's a good time to start dusting off the good ole 7800 and make it run. As the XM games aren't exactly compatible with the emulators, you'll need a working 7800, and soon.

The zip pkg includes the 7800 Theory of Operations, albeit somewhat simplified and refers to a schematic not included, but aa.com has the one page schematic complete; the 7800 Block Diagram, also simplified; and the 7800 Diagnostic Flowchart, a.k.a. Troubleshooting Guide. This flowchart was obviously intended for newly-built 7800s, but you can still use it. One comment: NEVER drop kick your 7800 and throw it in the trash - there's some good parts in there!!! Give it to me!!! Gimme gimme gimme...

7800 Atari Theory of Ops.zip

Enjoy, ///BLUEman///

BOMs away!!! Thanks 2 Mitch. I agree, this is great. Who would have thunk it 30 years ago we'd be doing all this on the 7800 now? I often wonder if GCC personnel are watching our "progress" on a machine design that must have died many, many years ago. I think we're going stronger here than the 26 and/or 52, although there are still brilliant folks over there as well. I think we have the edge with the publicized source lists and many disassemblies.

Leading to the equation...

:cool: 7800 > 5200 + 2600

Not to be nitpicky on Mitch, but the CR2 listed on the parts list is the Power LED. It would be interesting to see if we can dig up a costed BOM so we know how much these parts cost in 1984 +/-, especially the memory devices. Sometimes they were pricey and hard to come by. ///blueman///