IGNORED

Interest Check: Reproduction Activision Cart Labels

pboland

I didn't see this thread until now, but it jogged my memory. Ten years ago we recreated all the Activision labels from scratch. We were actually working with Activision on a project at the time, but Activision pulled out of the project when it was nearly complete. The fruits of that labor have never seen the light of day.

We took great care to match up the typography and layouts as closely as possible. Here are two examples:

Pitfall_label.jpg

Freeway_label.jpg

Here's a directory showing all the labels we created. This includes Thwocker, Kabobber, the Venetian Blinds demo, Bloody Human Freeway, and Activision Prototype labels. We didn't create labels for the later games that deviated from this original style (such as Pitfall II).

Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 9.02.47 PM.png

These are high-quality, vector images that can be scaled up to any size. You can see by the files that we did create posters of two of the labels already. If you were to print these on a glossy label stock on a high-quality printer (which I could easily do), you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between an original and a reproduction. even with the carts next to each other. Well, the lack of Actiplaque might help give it away. :)

..Al

• Like 11

Wow, thanks, Albert! I'm glad to learn that this has been done; I'm sure it wasn't easy to create exact replicas of the originals. Are printed Activision labels something you'd be able (and/or willing) to make available in the AA store? I've got quite a few "Actiplaqued" cartridges that could use them.

I didn't see this thread until now, but it jogged my memory. Ten years ago we recreated all the Activision labels from scratch. We were actually working with Activision on a project at the time, but Activision pulled out of the project when it was nearly complete. The fruits of that labor have never seen the light of day.

We took great care to match up the typography and layouts as closely as possible. Here are two examples:

attachicon.gifPitfall_label.jpg

attachicon.gifFreeway_label.jpg

Here's a directory showing all the labels we created. This includes Thwocker, Kabobber, the Venetian Blinds demo, Bloody Human Freeway, and Activision Prototype labels. We didn't create labels for the later games that deviated from this original style (such as Pitfall II).

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-10-24 at 9.02.47 PM.png

These are high-quality, vector images that can be scaled up to any size. You can see by the files that we did create posters of two of the labels already. If you were to print these on a glossy label stock on a high-quality printer (which I could easily do), you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between an original and a reproduction. even with the carts next to each other. Well, the lack of Actiplaque might help give it away. :)

..Al

Those look great!

Well, I guess there's no need to keep plugging away at something that is already done.

Are these something you plan on releasing or selling?

Those look great!

Well, I guess there's no need to keep plugging away at something that is already done.

I'm sorry I didn't see your thread until yesterday--I was stupid busy getting ready for the Portland show that took place earlier this month. On the other hand, I'm glad to have the "Oh yeah!" moment when I remembered we created these labels quite some time ago.

Are these something you plan on releasing or selling?

If there's enough interest, I could do so. I'd need to get some Activision labels made up first, though. I'm not sure I want to see copies of carts with these brand new, accurate labels appearing on eBay. But these are all relatively common carts.

..Al

I forgot, why is it that nearly all Activision carts look like they've been stained with motor oil? None of the other Atari carts, 1st or 3rd party, have this mottled look to them, although Parker Brothers carts generally tend to form bubbles over time. I personally like the foil Atari and Imagic labels myself as these seem to age better than others. But it's either oily, bubble, or peel, and the damage due to bad adhesives seem to be consistent with problems affecting specific brands.

I guess Nintendo got their label adhesive chemistry right because many carts are just as clean as they were the day they were made, no bubbles, no grease, and they are very resistant to tearing or peeling even after rental/resale stickers have been applied them and removed. The glossy Made in Japan cart labels seem to be more durable than the matte Made in Mexico labels.

Edited by stardust4ever

People have blamed the glue but I suspect it may be the paper. There are different paper chemistry's some of which degrade. Perhaps it's a cheap paper with a high acid content and a glue that is alkaline even. In general glue dries and the damage is done quickly, that's why I think there's more to it than the glue alone. Once dried most glue is fairly inert.

Also of note there are NES games late in the life made by third parties but still in the official grey color and they used cheaper paper. There's a thread on Nintendo Age about it. That is a different type of wear though. Those games get friction marks on them where the paper looks like it was sanded away.

. I'm not sure I want to see copies of carts with these brand new, accurate labels appearing on eBay. But these are all relatively common carts.

..Al

That's where I differ from almost everyone else. I'd love to see the carts already have the labels so I wouldn't have to do it myself. If collector value is a concern then there are other answers but for people who just want Activision games to look good someone taking it to the next level would be great.

Those look great!

Well, I do think the 7800 Activision carts do need a label redesign. Those are just white with text on them. I think it would be great if the 7800 labels looked like the box art.

• 2 months later...

Just want to say I’m new to this forum and I love it!

This is my first post and I would really like to buy a sheet (the only ones I really need right now are Pitfall and River Raid). I’d be willing to paypal some money for an eps sheet for those two labels... or if I don't have that option, I'll settle for the full sheet).

I’m a graphic designer and was actually thinking about doing this myself (labels, etc), but since there are a couple of guys here that have already started, I would like to use your services. You guys beat me to it!

FYI: My gf bought me an Atari 2600 off Craigslist for Christmas, and I have to report that the thing is in pristine condition. Its looks like it was just bought back in 1980.! =D Even the games it came with were perfect! Since then, I ordered two games from dkclassics.com and was disappointed in the two Activision games they sent me. The glue-bleed was expected, but the catrdidge labels were all torn to shreads. Really horrible. I'd stay away from these guys and stick to ebay. I'm all you guys are experienced Atari-shoppers, so excuse me, as I'm just thinking out loud.

Any ways, please hit me up if these labels, if they are available to purchase.

-Jeffrey Bona

Cityonfire.com

attachicon.gifPitfall_label.jpg

attachicon.gifFreeway_label.jpg

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-10-24 at 9.02.47 PM.png

..Al

Edited by mpm74

I'll work on this soon. :)

Awesome. I'll have to keep bugging you until you get them done. jk I'm one of those OCD guys where everything has to be perfect (which is why those activision games with tore up labels is bothering me). BTW, I also need Chopper Command. I recently bought a copy of Kaboom off ebay, and the label was flawless (hmmm... now that I think of it, may be a repro... oh well, it looks good!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...