IGNORED

Interest Check: Reproduction Activision Cart Labels

pboland

It seems that several people are offering reproduction labels. I'm still very interested in getting some good Activision labels, but I (and, I'm sure, others as well) would like to see some close-up samples first. I like Albert's Activision label templates because all the fine details are exactly right, and from the labels I've bought from the AtariAge store, I also know that the quality of the printing is excellent. However, I often find that reproduction labels I see from other sources are "wrong" in subtle ways: either the fonts or the size/spacing of the text is wrong, or the colors are wrong, or the size is wrong, or the corners aren't rounded as they should be, or the texture of the labels is wrong, or the quality of the printing is poor. For example, the labels should not be too thick or covered with a thick glossy layer of plastic, they should not be printed on an inkjet printer, they should not be printed at 300dpi, they should not be cut out with scissors, etc. I don't mind if reproduction labels are marked as such, either with a line of text or a band in the corner, but everything else about it should match the originals as closely as possible.

It seems that several people are offering reproduction labels. I'm still very interested in getting some good Activision labels, but I (and, I'm sure, others as well) would like to see some close-up samples first. I like Albert's Activision label templates because all the fine details are exactly right, and from the labels I've bought from the AtariAge store, I also know that the quality of the printing is excellent. However, I often find that reproduction labels I see from other sources are "wrong" in subtle ways: either the fonts or the size/spacing of the text is wrong, or the colors are wrong, or the size is wrong, or the corners aren't rounded as they should be, or the texture of the labels is wrong, or the quality of the printing is poor. For example, the labels should not be too thick or covered with a thick glossy layer of plastic, they should not be printed on an inkjet printer, they should not be printed at 300dpi, they should not be cut out with scissors, etc. I don't mind if reproduction labels are marked as such, either with a line of text or a band in the corner, but everything else about it should match the originals as closely as possible.

That's a tall order. You are basically asking for offset printed labels. Offset printed labels are not possible in small quantities. That's why many repro labels are not printed that way. Computer cutting isn't an issue and therefor having the proper corners is not a problem.

At the size of a label, 300 dpi is more than plenty if the artwork used is of really good quality (and the printer used is good quality). There is no way that your eyes can see the difference between 300 or 600 dpi at the size of a label. I'm guessing you have seen bad looking reproductions and found out they were also printed at 300 dpi and you now think that the 300 dpi was the reason for the bad print quality.

A good label is about everything being a good quality all the way down the line. I've never had anyone complain that my labels didn't meat their expectations. On the contrary, most are surprised by how nice they look. Many have stated that my labels look better than the originals.

Edited by pboland
  • Like 1

That's a tall order. You are basically asking for offset printed labels. Offset printed labels are not possible in small quantities. That's why many repro labels are not printed that way. Computer cutting isn't an issue and therefor having the proper corners is not a problem.

At the size of a label, 300 dpi is more than plenty if the artwork used is of really good quality (and the printer used is good quality). There is no way that your eyes can see the difference between 300 or 600 dpi at the size of a label. I'm guessing you have seen bad looking reproductions and found out they were also printed at 300 dpi and you now think that the 300 dpi was the reason for the bad print quality.

A good label is about everything being a good quality all the way down the line. I've never had anyone complain that my labels didn't meat their expectations. On the contrary, most are surprised by how nice they look. Many have stated that my labels look better than the originals.

It's possible that the source artwork was too low-res on the labels that I saw, but even with text, 300dpi looks just a little too jagged to my eyes, especially if the text is very small. When I design my own boxes and cartridge labels, I use 600dpi assets for everything.

I print my own one-off labels on a color laser printer, and I add some sort of protector (usually a wide strip of ultra-clear packing tape) before I apply it to the cartridge. It does the job, but even with a color laser, the colors aren't always as consistent as I'd like. Maybe offset printing really is the only way to match the original labels perfectly.

• Like 1

Some of the colors are pretty hard to match and you have to pick one that doesn't look anything like it on the screen to even get close when printed. Most printers require a 5,000 minimum (for each design) on labels like this so that completely put doing a full offset run off the table. Sounds like there's many talented people that have done these at one time or another.

It's possible that the source artwork was too low-res on the labels that I saw, but even with text, 300dpi looks just a little too jagged to my eyes, especially if the text is very small. When I design my own boxes and cartridge labels, I use 600dpi assets for everything.

I print my own one-off labels on a color laser printer, and I add some sort of protector (usually a wide strip of ultra-clear packing tape) before I apply it to the cartridge. It does the job, but even with a color laser, the colors aren't always as consistent as I'd like. Maybe offset printing really is the only way to match the original labels perfectly.

Thumbs up for the ultra clear packing tape. It's thin and it doesn't add a lot of weight to the label. You will get closer color with a photo ink jet printer (six inks or better). Color laser can work, but you need an expensive pro level printer to get the colors correct.

On a side note: I also make foil labels (i.e. Imagic, DataAge, Spectravision, and Atari 5200) that are cut to fit by computer (peel and stick). I do have a limitation as I can not print the color "white" on foil, but they still look really good. If interested I also make controller overlays (ColecoVision, special Intellivision) and I'm very close on Atari 5200 overlays as well. I've been on AtariAge since 2006, and I work with several home-brewser here on AtariAge. Just incase people are curious.

Edited by pboland
  • Like 2

What kind of Paper you use for Activision Carts?

I need like 13 Labels

I use a high quality gloss label stock for many of my labels. I then laminate the labels and cut via computer to the same dimensions as the originals. That means you get the same properly rounded corners as the originals. Just peel and stick. If you are interested I also make reproduction overlays. Just shoot me a PM if your interested.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am waiting on the first shipment of labels from a new label company I'm using. If that goes well, I can use them to produce these labels, and they should look fantastic. :)

..Al

Al,

Got three questions to ask I been meaning to ask, First from a graphic artist's point of view, what software do you use to make the labels for this?

secondly, Are you open to label commission requests? I got a few Activision games that is due for some new labelling (Both USA and Australian H.E.S. one I would love to get reproductions made if you are open to it, if not that's fine I can graphic art it myself.)

Lastly, Have you got an updates on this project? It sure sounds promising :)

Cheers,

Josh

Hi,

Just to let u know that this guy pboland makes fantastic labels. I ordered 2 full sets of labels from him last year and the results are amazing. Absolutely indistinguishable from the originals. Perfect paper, gloss and glue. Activision labels and foil -imagic- are astonishing. I would recommend this guy with no doubt. Honestly I doubt it's even possible to do this work better.

• 7 months later...