IGNORED

Interest Check: Reproduction Activision Cart Labels

pboland

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw those, but Albert's reproductions (which I'm still eagerly waiting to see!) are more accurate. The first thing I noticed about the eBay labels is that the font and letter spacing is off; this is most noticeable in the Spider Fighter and Plaque Attack labels.

I haven't tried replacing any labels on my Actiplaqued originals, but what's the best procedure to get the old ones off? I'm thinking a combination of naphtha and medium heat if necessary.

The easiest and less-messy way i have found is using a simple heat gun....you can get them at lowes/home depot near the paint.

Don't need to use it too high, and just about 20 seconds or so over the label, and lift. It softens the adhesive enough to lift it right off, and doesn't damage the cart or plastic (if not too hot). It will leave a residue, but that only helps the new label stick anyway.

I do it all the time to repair labels or transfer labels with broken ICs.

Works like a charm.

Seems there's been a bit of interest again Here's another activision label i finished up. Same notes as before 300dpi and about 4mb. Also i looked at soo many carts online, i just couldn't find a dominant color scheme though, they all seemed to vary. So i ended up just going off my own cart for color layout.

post-42412-0-25966500-1454004204_thumb.png

• Like 1

What is the best paper and printer to use to print the PDF's and get high-quality output?

I've tried printing on my inkjet and color laser at home, and neither come close to the quality that I think they should and don't feel the same as the original labels. I've tried printing on glossy and matte stock and the matte looks and feels the closest, but still not a match.

Are you taking these to a Kinkos or Office Depot and having them printed there?

Thank you.

• 4 months later...

I am waiting on the first shipment of labels from a new label company I'm using. If that goes well, I can use them to produce these labels, and they should look fantastic. :)

Just wondering if there are any updates to share. I just received some relatively common Activision games with badly mottled labels, and it made me think of how much better they'd look with new labels.

(I know that reproduction labels have become controversial in certain circles because of counterfeit games, so if that's still a sticking point, I'm sure most potential buyers would be fine with a small AtariAge band or some other identifying mark in a corner.)

• Like 1

I think there is a greater need for repro labels than just the discussion in this thread. I know several people entirely outside of AtariAge that would purchase them.

As our equipment, carts, consoles, and paraphernalia age, it stands to reason labels are going to need replacing. This also applies to floppy disks, though I don't see a market ever evolving for them.

• Like 5

I think there is a greater need for repro labels than just the discussion in this thread. I know several people entirely outside of AtariAge that would purchase them.

As our equipment, carts, consoles, and paraphernalia age, it stands to reason labels are going to need replacing. This also applies to floppy disks, though I don't see a market ever evolving for them.

I agree 100% and I've already done cart labels, floppy labels (& sleeves), overlays, paraphernalia, consoles labels etc (many custom stuff too). I do quite a bit of homebrew overlays for Colecovision and Intellivision as well. (I might be adding 5200 and Jaguar overlays soon).
I'm able to reproduce many of these things, in many cases better than the original. I already have a good track record in the Colecovision and Intellivision communities here on AtariAge. I have a good size catalog of ready to print labels/overlays and that catalog is always growing. (and yes, that includes many Atari 2600 cart labels as well). If someone is interested just PM me for details.
Edited by pboland
  • Like 2

I agree 100% and I've already done cart labels, floppy labels (& sleeves), overlays, paraphernalia, consoles labels etc (many custom stuff too). I do quite a bit of homebrew overlays for Colecovision and Intellivision as well. (I might be adding 5200 and Jaguar overlays soon).
I'm able to reproduce many of these things, in many cases better than the original. I already have a good track record in the Colecovision and Intellivision communities here on AtariAge. I have a good size catalog of ready to print labels/overlays and that catalog is always growing. (and yes, that includes many Atari 2600 cart labels as well). If someone is interested just PM me for details.

Please do some Atari stuff!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...