IGNORED

3D Printed Objects/Cases & Carts for the TI

Omega-TI

I would be interested in the files to 3dprint a TI cart.. This exist yet?

Greg

No. I won't be a "student" at the community college until next month. (I'm auditing the class. I already have a Master's degree, and the only reason I'm taking it is to learn about 3D printing. <grin>)

I'm assuming then, I'll be able to get the AutoCad .stl files and mess around with them. I will have to see what the license is for distributing it; since these aren't really commercial use (non-profit, hobbyist, etc.), I'll see where we land with the terms.

Edited by acadiel

When I have time, probably tomorrow, I will measure a TI cart out and open source the design. There is no reason to violate any license or anything, I'll re-do the work and let people have it, measure it straight from a cart that I own a double of. I just need time to get it done, and I am off for a couple of days now, so I'll work on it.

• Like 4

When I have time, probably tomorrow, I will measure a TI cart out and open source the design. There is no reason to violate any license or anything, I'll re-do the work and let people have it, measure it straight from a cart that I own a double of. I just need time to get it done, and I am off for a couple of days now, so I'll work on it.

I'm thinking you'll make quite a few people happy. You might also be saving quite a few original TI cart's over the next decade or two as people will no longer have to cannibalize old cartridges. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Awesome! I can use it to mess around with in my 3D class. :) Thanks, Nathan!

... the TI cart first run prototype....

Hey, that's looking good so far! The extra room may even come in handy for some of these new home made cartridges that are starting to be developed. The flatter surface will also make it easier to mount LED's, buttons or switches if needed. Once everything gets lined up, the guides inserted and the corners get rounded you'll have a WINNER!

So now I have three questions:

1) Will it come in black, beige or silver?

2) How much?

3) Will they be available on Ebay?

----------------------------------------------- GOOD JOB! :)

Edited by Kevan

Hey, that's looking good so far! The extra room may even come in handy for some of these new home made cartridges that are starting to be developed. The flatter surface will also make it easier to mount LED's, buttons or switches if needed. Once everything gets lined up, the guides inserted and the corners get rounded you'll have a WINNER!

So now I have three questions:

1) Will it come in black, beige or silver?

2) How much?

3) Will they be available on Ebay?

----------------------------------------------- GOOD JOB! :)

1) Whatever colors I have here, they can be that color. As for paint I have red, yellow, blue, black, silver and dark green.

2) I can't name a price yet, I will once the final one is made correctly.

3) Yes.

Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing abut the extra room. I kind of do want to get the shape correct at lest for some of it, but the extra room in the "handle" part I was going to leave. Also, I am going to release the file in case anybody that wants one can get them printed anywhere or print it themselves, *or* drop it in a minecraft game as a special bonus or something :D

• Like 1

1) Whatever colors I have here, they can be that color. As for paint I have red, yellow, blue, black, silver and dark green.

2) I can't name a price yet, I will once the final one is made correctly.

3) Yes.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! smiley-45.gif

I'll be looking.... I have a project I want to start in January (if time permits) so I'll want one.. just to be different.

Edited by Kevan

• 2 months later...

Not yet, unfortunately. Having maintenance issues, and I had to send the printer head off for warranty work. Not that I couldn't have fixed it, but warranty says to wait for them to fix it. I'll be back up soon, though. I plan on doing several cases, with several design suggestions to accommodate a few suggestions I have gotten.

They are rough prototypes created by the community college's instructor of engineering (he spent about four hours measuring and drawing them.)

They don't fit perfect yet (the clasps do not engage), and he's going to work on revising it again. He can't give me the .stl file, as it's for student distribution only with their autocad license.

Too bad. I guess I will have to get my micrometer out and start measuring and see if I can come up with usable STL files. Since I will be using open source software (Open Scad), these at least won't have any distribution restrictions on them. Regarding Open Scad, this is a script based CAD system. If you understand basic cartesian geometry, then you can start using it very quickly. Getting good at it is another matter entirely though :) For example, the command sphere (2, $fn=100) will draw a high resolution 2 cm in diameter sphere centered on the origin. Preceding it with the command translate ([2,2,2]) will draw it offset by 2 cm from the origins of the x, y and z axes. And so on. You don't draw anything by hand and the program simply converts your script into a 3D object and renders into a viewing window. This type of rendering method is best suited for engineering tasks rather than artistic ones, but it should be perfectly suited for designing a cartridge.

Here's the link: http://www.openscad.org/

Edited by Vorticon
  • Like 1

Also, I'll soon post up the STL file for the cart I have now. I have to get back to the computer I have it saved on.

My car broke down, so been distracted with that, along with many other things. Because the car broke down my craptacular job fired me, so that's on my mind, too. Honestly, since I lost the job my mind has been more clear and active, and I have had a better attitude.

My friend Sam and I (Sam, who is doing this with me because he's the most capable person I know here) are thinking to expand what we're doing-- doing some mold injection as well as 3D printing, so one item can be turned into many relatively easily; maybe a CNC machine and router, all home made with parts from the printer, being able to actively recycle the plastic garbage of the HDPE kind, making our own filament for the printer, and of course another printer.

Also, I'll soon post up the STL file for the cart I have now. I have to get back to the computer I have it saved on.

My car broke down, so been distracted with that, along with many other things. Because the car broke down my craptacular job fired me, so that's on my mind, too. Honestly, since I lost the job my mind has been more clear and active, and I have had a better attitude.

My friend Sam and I (Sam, who is doing this with me because he's the most capable person I know here) are thinking to expand what we're doing-- doing some mold injection as well as 3D printing, so one item can be turned into many relatively easily; maybe a CNC machine and router, all home made with parts from the printer, being able to actively recycle the plastic garbage of the HDPE kind, making our own filament for the printer, and of course another printer.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully things will work out for the better in the long run.

Is the CAD model you currently have for the cart workable or is some tweaking still needed? No need to reinvent the wheel here :)

It's the same one I made from in the video, things started happening even since back then and what I have to do is add a few posts to support the board and make sure the thing fits a TI computer-- basically thickness, and run a new print. It definitely does hold a board in place and so far, that's all it needs. Just waiting on parts for now. So some tweaking still needed, but basic fit stuff for a first run prototype. I'll get the STL out when I can, with no car it makes life really difficult.

Ok, finally got back to the computer I had it on and here is the STL that will hold a circuit board, but not well. Apparently there was a problem saving the file I actually printed, it became corrupt somehow. But this is very close to what was printed. It needs the support posts on the inside and to be resized. This one is 2mm too thick around the crt open port. The STL file got corrupted somehow, it is in .obj format, easily importable to most programs. It's also missing the screw hole, an easy fix.

ti cart unfixed.zip

post-7404-0-98552800-1392372337_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That looks beautiful. . .great job on the top piece of the case. Have you been able to get the posts inside set up too?

Thanks!

The top part is what I did tonight in class (One benefit to auditing is I can do what I want). I have the inside of the top extruded out, and will start the posts and board mounts next. I will mirror them, so if I draw one, it will do the other. Will cut my work in half. Bottom half of the case will follow in short order afterward.

Practical experience... Just designed and 3D printed a lock key maker holder (they were missing one(:

5uquqegy.jpg

Edited by acadiel