IGNORED

3D Printed Objects/Cases & Carts for the TI

Omega-TI

Okay, the machine is back up after too long of it being down. Did anyone make the file I posted up? Did anybody make any use of it? I can't get online very much right now, but still doing things like 3D printing.

My friend Sam and I figure we can do some exact fixing soon, I will let you know when we know.

We have a guy in our Austrian ti-99 club who bought a 3d printer lately. If we get a print ready model, we can arrange something for sure. He even said, that a nanoPEB case was one of the reasons to buy it.

The tricky part for the CF7+/nanoPEB is to keep the compact flash card and the power on accessable.

And now that guy fixed his 3D printer.

The tricky part is in fact to design the case to be printable with a single extruder machine. I cannot use support material. I think, I will print multiple parts and join them using... screws (I try to awoid the word "screwing" in a american forum because is has another meaming too).. Tomorrow I will start the planing phase.

I'd love a case for the CF7... thing about access to the power button... could always just leave it on... remove the switch if necessary. I imagine most of us have this stuff hooked to power strips anyway. Access to the CF card is a lot more manageable.

• Like 1

OK, guys...

This is the completed top (minus a screw hole). Note that I haven't started the bottom yet. I will dimension the bottom the exact same, but will not be able to tell I was accurate until I have both the top and bottom printed.

Enjoy the eye candy. The .zip file is the .stl file.

tishell_top.pdf

tishell_top.zip

• Like 4

Here's the fixed STL File. Didn't export with the correct units. (Sorry everyone who doesn't like inches... it's the micrometer the community college let me use, and it wasn't mm...)

Also, I put it into Shapeways to see what they would charge. Wow. $40. Just for half. Besides printing it on the community college's printer when I'm done to make sure it's OK, where else can I get a decent prototype print without breaking the bank if I make any changes?

tishell.zip

post-22866-0-94428700-1394077687_thumb.png

I could print the WHOLE thing for less than $40 and mail it, too. I don't like shapeways markups, the person running the printer barely makes anything. If anybody wants one, PM me here or better yet, text me on my cel, that seems to be the best way to get ahold of me. 915-875-6998. I am thinking $25 shipped, but not sure on shipping since that could go anywhere.

If you text me, say who you are here and we can figure something out.

• Like 1

I could print the WHOLE thing for less than $40 and mail it, too. I don't like shapeways markups, the person running the printer barely makes anything. If anybody wants one, PM me here or better yet, text me on my cel, that seems to be the best way to get ahold of me. 915-875-6998. I am thinking $25 shipped, but not sure on shipping since that could go anywhere.

If you text me, say who you are here and we can figure something out.

Thanks, Nathan!

I'm going to try to print one on our community college's Dimension printer (enclosed, heated bed, about 5 years old, uses ABS) once I'm completely done with it. If we make any mods, etc to it, I might just take you up on your offer, especially since I only have use of the printer for two more months while I'm enrolled.

Here's the fixed STL File. Didn't export with the correct units. (Sorry everyone who doesn't like inches... it's the micrometer the community college let me use, and it wasn't mm...)

Also, I put it into Shapeways to see what they would charge. Wow. $40. Just for half. Besides printing it on the community college's printer when I'm done to make sure it's OK, where else can I get a decent prototype print without breaking the bank if I make any changes?

40 for a cart? buy a dozen carts off ebay and use the cases.

I had an idea to print the cart snap-fit and with a hinge so you can yank the board out of it at will.

I was beating the price from shapeways, they charge way too much, and while $40 might seem high, they wanted way more and no customization. For $40 I'll do as much customization as I can think of! Plus 3D printers are expensive to get up and going, this one has yet to pay for itself. Seems to be a disconnect for people, not too many people understand what it really is yet.

Yes, I am still doing the designing, but life has intervened, and dealing with a curve ball right now.

I had an idea to print the cart snap-fit and with a hinge so you can yank the board out of it at will.

I was beating the price from shapeways, they charge way too much, and while $40 might seem high, they wanted way more and no customization. For $40 I'll do as much customization as I can think of! Plus 3D printers are expensive to get up and going, this one has yet to pay for itself. Seems to be a disconnect for people, not too many people understand what it really is yet.

Yes, I am still doing the designing, but life has intervened, and dealing with a curve ball right now.

Can you check the STL's I posted and see how they look? I'm going to run them by my instructor to see if he'll double check them.

Here's what I can export to as well...

post-22866-0-76151700-1394593778_thumb.jpg

Yep, the only thing I'm worried about were a few thin parts Shapeways identified (upload the STL files and see what I mean). I think it was just the top half that had the problem.

Thanks for checking it out, Nathan!

Edit: Also, couldn't figure out the screw hole size for the top... will likely just drill something with a small drill bit to figure out what I need to put there.

Edited by acadiel
  • Like 1

OK, guys...

This is the completed top (minus a screw hole). Note that I haven't started the bottom yet. I will dimension the bottom the exact same, but will not be able to tell I was accurate until I have both the top and bottom printed.

Enjoy the eye candy. The .zip file is the .stl file.

Hi. What units are you using for the stl file? When I tried to load it into my 3D printing software (Repetier Host), is comes out tiny. I tried inches instead of millimeters, but then it's huge...

Hi. What units are you using for the stl file? When I tried to load it into my 3D printing software (Repetier Host), is comes out tiny. I tried inches instead of millimeters, but then it's huge...

It was in inches. Shapeways seems to be able to parse it OK (here's what it sees):

post-22866-0-45299200-1395277704_thumb.png

post-22866-0-03464800-1395277710_thumb.png

wait... I thought there was a push to produce badly needed cases for our NanoPEB's and CF7's? Focusing on reproducing cartridge cases instead? Are there not a million educational carts that cost next to nothing we can rob cases for the homebrew projects and such?

Forgive me if I'm missing something. :)

It renders fine, but the size is just completely off... I'm not sure why...

Update: It looks like Repetier Host is importing it as millimeters. When I scaled it by 10 I got the correct size. I'm going to try and print it and see what I get :)

Edited by Vorticon

wait... I thought there was a push to produce badly needed cases for our NanoPEB's and CF7's? Focusing on reproducing cartridge cases instead? Are there not a million educational carts that cost next to nothing we can rob cases for the homebrew projects and such?

Not really. Not every body has a lots of spare duplicate educational carts to use. I certainly don't since I'm not a collector and only have the carts I actually use for the most part.

Besides, this is really just a fun little project, not so much some kind of commercial venture. Just an excuse to use my 3D printer :)

• Like 2

Not really. Not every body has a lots of spare duplicate educational carts to use. I certainly don't since I'm not a collector and only have the carts I actually use for the most part.

Besides, this is really just a fun little project, not so much some kind of commercial venture. Just an excuse to use my 3D printer :)

Right, a fun little project and this latest design seems to be an exact replica of an original case. My first experiment was of a cart to be used specifically for opening up several times, with plans for snap fit and hinges, etc.

I just looked up the nano peb and that looks like a neat enough thing to do, though life hasn't been cooperating much (another unrelated story). It might make the list of things to make soon. I have plenty of stuff to do now, considering.

BTW I have the file printing now, will make pictures when I am done.

• Like 2

Well I have some bad news. As currently designed, I'm afraid it's beyond the capabilities of my printer to print it because of lack of supporting structures. If you look at the design, there are large surface areas that practically hang in the air and there is no way my printer will be able to bridge them properly. I tried inverting the design but still ended up with a mess.

Perhaps someone here with a more advance 3D printer can take a shot at it. Too bad :(

Forgive me if I'm missing something. icon_smile.gif

Yep, it's just being done for the fun of it on my part. :-)

• Like 1

Right, a fun little project and this latest design seems to be an exact replica of an original case. My first experiment was of a cart to be used specifically for opening up several times, with plans for snap fit and hinges, etc.

I just looked up the nano peb and that looks like a neat enough thing to do, though life hasn't been cooperating much (another unrelated story). It might make the list of things to make soon. I have plenty of stuff to do now, considering.

BTW I have the file printing now, will make pictures when I am done.

Cool! Please let me know if I need to adjust anything in Inventor; I can tweak whatever needs to be tweaked.