IGNORED

3D Printed Objects/Cases & Carts for the TI

Omega-TI

Well I have some bad news. As currently designed, I'm afraid it's beyond the capabilities of my printer to print it because of lack of supporting structures. If you look at the design, there are large surface areas that practically hang in the air and there is no way my printer will be able to bridge them properly. I tried inverting the design but still ended up with a mess.

Perhaps someone here with a more advance 3D printer can take a shot at it. Too bad icon_sad.gif

Yeah, we tried a rough version of it last fall on a Makerbot, at the community college, and it really did curl up because of its surface area. We had to use the Dimension printer (it actually fills in support material you break off after you finish) to get a good print. Plus I think the Dimension used ABS, and the material seemed a bit sturdier.

Nice videos! If you do the Nano-PEB's like you mentioned, you'll make a lot of happy people happy.

I have a couple of questions though:

1) How will you secure the Nano-PEB to the printed out enclosure?

2) How will you facilitate proper switch operation?

a) A plastic extension, slide and slit arrangement similar to that on the TI console?

b) A case mounted switch and have the end user solder leads to the Nano?

3) How will access to the CF card be accomplished, a hinged case?

Well, I don't have anything but pictures of a nanopeb to go by, I figure creative holes and maybe a slide switch can be used. When I learned to use the CAD software, there are a lot of tricks you can use.

But really, I'd need one to measure out to know for sure. There are lots of ways to do the things you mentioned. I'd probably have to get a bit creative to do the switch and CF card.

Ok, first video is up, here is the link:

http://youtu.be/S4qlX9RCPGg

and

http://youtu.be/iBZ4GP2N6DU

Got reminded I have a couple of projects way overdue, now that life is being more tolerable I can get back on them.

That is awesome!

I did an assembly tonight with the two halves... and made a PDF of all the different views (and some sections). I think I found one problem; see if you can spot it :-)

ticart.pdf

But really, I'd need one to measure out to know for sure. There are lots of ways to do the things you mentioned. I'd probably have to get a bit creative to do the switch and CF card.

I'm not sure how helpful that would really be. I've had three different Nano-PEB's and no two were the same.

I'm not sure how helpful that would really be. I've had three different Nano-PEB's and no two were the same.

A couple of different models might be necessary, then. I would like to own one of those, my TI machines could use it or them. Maybe more than two models, just re-read the post.

Edited by nathanallan

It might be ironic, but I am terrible at reading schematics icon_smile.gif or even diagrams that are technical.

The clasps were a few hundreths off.. wouldn't have noticed it until I did the assembly to put the two halves together.

badhooks.jpg

I fixed it... so it's good now.

Note, I only updated the bottom.

goodhooks.jpg

Here's all the files attached again.

tishell.zip

• Like 1

Good eye, it would have taken a print for me to find it.

I have an idea for this cart, going to go back to my homebrew squared one and mod it for hinges, snaps and whatever else. Personally, I have found that since the printer is here and can do what I tell it to do, I don't need to stick to stock.

• Like 1

Very cool printer. My printer is very kludgy in comparison as it is made out of plywood! (Printrbot Simple).

What I think I'm going to try to do is break up the top half of the cart design into 2 sections that can be printed separately without any structural support issues, then simply glue them together. I know, I know: it's even more kludgy than my printer, but hey, it's a lot of fun :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...