IGNORED

3D Printed Objects/Cases & Carts for the TI

Omega-TI

It's really interesting to watch the 3D printer technology advance from essentially a hacker toy to a ready to play appliance in the span of a few years, and the pace of development is exponentially increasing as prices are dropping. Think Altair to the Macintosh kind of evolution minus the price. This thing sounds more like a Mac, and my printer (Printrbot Simple) is more akin to the Altair :D

I love the self leveling and calibrating features because they are the source of most printing errors and need constant tweaking from print to print on my printer.

That said, please don't let my complaining lead you to think that I am not having a blast with it. Far from it! A few more years from now when everyone has a sleek 3D printer on their desk, I'll be able to reminisce and say "these were the good old days... We did not need stinkin' autolevelers and such non sense back then!" .

• Like 2

Anyone have objections to two more screw holes instead of snaps? :-) Those snaps are a pain....

I certainly don't mind. I always thought TI should have made it so the top clamshell's edge rocked into catches on the bottom clamshell. The one screw would then prevent the caught edges from disengaging. That would make for very simple assembly/removal.

...lee

If the objective is to find an easy way to produce shells for homebrew software, I don't see any reason why the new shells have to be a replica of the old ones. I'm always struggling with the snaps when I have to disassemble a cartridge. And with two more screws you wouldn't have to count on the sticker to keep the two parts of the shell tightly together.

• Like 2

If the objective is to find an easy way to produce shells for homebrew software, I don't see any reason why the new shells have to be a replica of the old ones. I'm always struggling with the snaps when I have to disassemble a cartridge. And with two more screws you wouldn't have to count on the sticker to keep the two parts of the shell tightly together.

That's quite true. Perhaps a slimmer and more streamlined design might be possible, without the pesky spring and the clasps. Also something that can be 3D printed in a simple fashion. I'll have to think about that a bit...

I could be wrong-but I imagine the snap fixings were put there by TI to discourage easy disassembly, TI have some previous history when it comes to making things difficult for developers and users.

Or-maybe I am just becoming increasingly cynical in my old age?

• Like 1

I could be wrong-but I imagine the snap fixings were put there by TI to discourage easy disassembly, TI have some previous history when it comes to making things difficult for developers and users.

Or-maybe I am just becoming increasingly cynical in my old age?

I do not think one necessarily precludes the other: yes, I agree TI did it purposefully; yes, I think you are getting cynical in your old age (or perhaps I am projecting. ;))

Was that with one of the boards I sent you recently or was it one of the ÜberGROM boards? The case looks nice with the three screws. I should probably get one of those from you to make a mold set using it--then I can make some really nice impact-resistant cartridges based on the pattern. . .

Was that with one of the boards I sent you recently or was it one of the ÜberGROM boards? The case looks nice with the three screws. I should probably get one of those from you to make a mold set using it--then I can make some really nice impact-resistant cartridges based on the pattern. . .

That's the second gen Ubergrom board. :) I need to look at the P/N on the bottom to see what rev it is again.

And, if we want to make a copy of this, it has its own sets of minor issues... scratches, dents, etc, from me removing the filler material, you name it. I'd get a high quality copy made at Shapeways or some other vendor and then use that.

I only had one small issue with one of the cartridge offsets on the bottom; I need to check my 3D model to make sure it wasn't my fault. However, an Exacto knife fixed it in quick order. I'm also mulling just leaving the screw holes undrilled so we can just drill a hole ourselves if we make a mold. Thoughts?

In the molds, I just stick a metal pin in the screw holes to keep them clear. That also helps on removal from the mold, as the pin can come out with the case if it gets stuck. . .and getting a high-quality Shapeways print as a template is a good idea. :) Let me know once you've verified the minor issues in the current STL files and I'll get one made that way.

I haven't used that, but I do have molds I made using smooth-on as the source for the materials.

http://www.smooth-on.com/

That's what I use to make my cartridge cases. It is designed primarily for plastic casting, whereas the site you identified is focused on food molds, from what I saw in my initial look at it to see what you were thinking about here. You'd probably gain a lot of useful experience making the food molds, as they don't require the ancillary hardware needed for the smooth-on stuff (a pressure pot that is rated for up to 60psi and a compressor).

Welcome back!

• 2 weeks later...