IGNORED

3D Printed Objects/Cases & Carts for the TI

Omega-TI

Nice! Now I'll just have to get the current files from you to have one made over at Shapeways so that I have a crisp mold template. . .

I have another one in the 3D printer and will pick it up in a few days. Will mail it to you and you can use it.... You will just have to take the filler out. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I just unpacked a glorious toy today--one of Acadiel's cartridge cases. Now I need to make some new molds out of it. . .

I do have one possible suggestion though, the thin bar that holds up the cartridge board (runs inside between the screw holes) should probably be a bit thicker--as thick as the thicker part of the outside case walls. It is a beautiful thing though--and removing the rafts was a painstaking but fun process. Much better than opening a Christmas Present! :) :) :)

• Like 4

The mold is a soft rubber, so any mods are done carefully with a fine knife blade. Thickening the slot at that point would do more damage than good. It would be faster to do a new STL file with the change and print another one to make the mold from. Note that it will work now--the thickening is just a mechanical engineering improvement to stiffen the part to make it more durable.

That would be a very good idea, although it will work better if you add it to the front and the back side of that single vertical strip. The side with the cutout for the circuit board lands to go into the cartridge port would only have to be thickened at the front efge, as then it would match the top again (and the back edge should be left alone on that part, as it might otherwise impact the circuit card). The top one is the real problem, as it has very little support as it is now--and thickening it will make it much more resistant to normal use wear-and-tear. The nice thing about that one is that it can be thickened without causing any harm--even if it rests on the edge of the board, it will just serve to help lock it in place.

I will upload the stl file for that 3 hole revision here soon. Do you want .05in added to the front facing side, Ksarul?

What is 0.05 (metric) of an (imperial) inch.??? :-o

You Americans! You just did it again. You blew my brains out my ears, and it's only Monday morning! :P

What is 0.05 (metric) of an (imperial) inch.??? :-o

You Americans! You just did it again. You blew my brains out my ears, and it's only Monday morning! :P

On a side note, I agree. It makes life hard. 2.54mm vs .1 inch, for example. I think it needs to start with our education system, but they're not doing it. And, then, when you have someone like me who has it ingrained in them for the past 40 years...

• 6 months later...

I got one of Acadiel's cartridge shells printed at Shapeways (top and bottom together come to about $50). Now I'll need to try to make a set of molds with it. This one is the one with the necessary reinforcement on the protective strip in the cartridge bay. I'll try and put up a picture sometime this weekend.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've now gotten a number of additional cartridge cases printed by Shapeways. So far, the best colors to use from a hardness standpoint are Blue and Purple. Red is very flexible (almost flimsy), and Green and Orange are about midway between the extremes. I'll know in a few days how their other colors come out, once their shipping department actually releases the order that they said they shipped two days ago. . .that order has Black, White, Yellow, and Pink cases. They had a sale a couple of weeks ago for 20% off, so I bought one of each color to see how they would come out. Now I just need some warm weather to make a set of molds using the best ones from these as templates.

Ok, I have been following this thread from the beginning, and I gotta ask a few things. Did you have them customized in any way? Fancy shapes, lettering, or anything? Were they polished or printed and shipped? Asking because I read in a previous post you spent $50 on a cart shell, and that seemed a bit high for me.

The difference between polished and a standard print is $1 for each half. The first case was $49.28 when shipped, which I called about $50 to get an even number. When I ordered four of them while they were having their sale, I got them for $146.75. As that order was for four cases, I could have gotten them in vanilla white for a total savings of about $6.40 ($.80 per half shell due to them being on sale). This is with the new Shapeways prices posted since the beginning of October. Prior to that, this price would have been about doubled.

I just got the last four cases that I ordered in. Black, White, and Yellow come out with excellent hardness properties, although the two little catch fingers don't come out well on the White (a truly inconsequential flaw). The Pink ones have about the same properties as the Green and Orange ones. With my tests complete, the only one I would recommend avoiding is the Red, as it is really too flexible at exactly the wrong part of the case--the lower plate at the cartridge port itself. I'll try and get some pictures of the whole set put up here later today or tomorrow. They are a bit expensive, but I really like them.

If you ever want to get any more, I can offer you my services, except I don't do polishing at this time. I was thinking of experimenting with the brush on stuff that's available now, Smooth On iirc. But I can undercut any of Shapeways' prices every day all day long. I use an Afinia printer, it does fine detail pretty good. I also made my own set of cart shells, but I modded them for my own stuff :) Cheers.

Excellent! I'm not hijacking this thread at all, but i am on facebook with a little store thing we call Dusty Plastics. All of our pictures are there, as well as the cart shells we have done.

I saw guns, gears, the Enterprise, etc there. But no cart shells.

Gazoo