IGNORED

F18A - 80 Column & Enhanced Graphics Supported Programs

Omega-TI

I don't think you should change anything because: 1. The flexibility of placing the name table on 1K boundaries is a good feature. 2. The software that sets those bits can easily be patched. 3. It is not desirable to have several functionally different firmware versions.

Well, #1 would have to override #2 and #3. If that is the case then I'll leave it alone. Also, I should have checked my HDL first because apparently I was aware of this problem. I sacrificed the 3rd table locations to deal with the issue, but it still bit me in the ass thanks to some 9938 programmers setting "01" in the LSbits of VR2 instead of "11" like the datasheet specifies:

-- 80-column use of VR2:
-- The 9938 indicates that the LS 2-bits of VR2 must be "11" for 80-column mode.
-- That means 4K boundaries for 80-column mode since only 2-bits are left of
-- the NTBA part of VR2, at least for the F18A since it does not have the
-- expanded memory space and extra address bits.  Since it seems existing software
-- will set VR2 to "xx11", i.e. "0011" for a 0K offset name table, this condition
-- is trapped here and the "11" if forced to "00" as if it were ignored.  Otherwise,
-- the extra bits are used to allow more options for 80-column name table placement.
--
-- The table is 1920 bytes in 80x24 mode, and 2400 bytes in 80x30 mode.
--
-- Original 9938 4-bit NTBA of VR2: 0011 = 0K, 0111 = 4K, 1011 = 8K, 1111 = 12K
-- F18A 4-bit NTBA options:
-- 0000 = 0K
-- 0001 = 1K
-- 0010 = 2K
-- 0011 = 0000 = 0K
-- 0100 = 4K
-- 0101 = 5K
-- 0110 = 6K
-- 0111 = 0100 = 4K
-- 1000 = 8K
-- 1001 = 9K
-- 1010 = 10K
-- 1011 = 1000 = 8K
-- 1100 = 12K
-- 1101 = 13K
-- 1110 = 14K
-- 1111 = 1100 = 12K
process (gmode, ntba)
begin
  text_cols <= "0101000";      -- 40
    text_ntba <= ntba;

if gmode = 9 then
    text_cols <= "1010000";  -- 80

if ntba(2 to 3) = "11" then
      text_ntba <= ntba(0 to 1) & "00";
    end if;
  end if;
end process;

What evidently was happening (according to Mike's assumptions and plenty of assumption on my part) was that some bits normally unused and invisible by the 38/58 have been re-purposed in the F18? So when the hardware platform changed the software caused the F18 to go into a bad mode that normally wouldn't happen with the 38/58? If so that's not really a "bug" but more of an unintended consequence of changing hardware behaviors without patching the software. But like you said everyone has their perception. I guess Tony's was from the vantage of an old school 9900/9995 9918/38/58 programmer and he got a bit defensive at your statement that the old stuff was and had been buggy for decades.

Thank you Marc. It's nice to see that there's SOMEONE, albeit maybe only one person here, that can read a post and understand the intent without immediately attacking the poster and twisting the intent of the original post.

Kudos to you, upstanding human being. :)

Gazoo

So I found out that Preditor actually has an 80 column option originally designed for the 9938. I tested it on real hardware, and it actually works great with the F18A!

gallery_25753_1039_32082.jpg

However, under Classic99, this does not work for some reason. I have attached the DSK image for the program. It autoloads under XB.

PREDITOR.ZIP

Edited by Vorticon
  • Like 3

So I found out that Preditor actually has an 80 column option originally designed for the 9938. I tested it on real hardware, and it actually works great with the F18A!

However, under Classic99, this does not work for some reason. I have attached the DSK image for the program. It autoloads under XB.

COOL! Another one for the list! Thanks for taking the time to check it out and give us the word. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My first thought is that it can't actually write the configuration back to a disk image under Classic99 (and it seems to crash when it tries).

Moving outside of that to a folder, it does have a number of issues - quit crashes, 80 column mode crashes on startup. I'll have to take it apart and see what's wrong with Classic99. Thanks :)

gallery_25753_1039_32082.jpg

added preditor and bawriter to the ftp

• Like 1

Tried it, did configure and set to 80 col.. prog comes up in 40 col.

Greg

Spell-It! is another POTENTIAL program for the F18A list.

I downloaded the "SI-DD.DSK" from this link: ftp://whtech.com/word%20processors/Spell-It!/ and it works fine in 40 columns, but it screws up in the 80 column setting. I've only tried in in CLASSICC99 so far because I've still not received my replacement Nano-PEB.

I've fixed the Classic99 bug that was causing PREditor to fail there - it was not recognizing that the two LSB were set to 00 on the F18A if they were written as 11. (Technical aside, Classic99's 80 column support is a hack and isn't perfect, but that will work in the next release).

I noticed that quitting PREditor (alt-Q) or exiting the configuration seemed to crash, and it did the same thing on my hardware. I noticed that the programs both exit by jumping directly back to the GPL Interpreter - seems to work okay from Editor/Assembler, but not XB. I made a small patch that changes it to reset the console instead, attached here (with instructions on how to apply the patch yourself if you like). The archive contains TIFILES format files, but you can easily copy them back to disk image with TI99Dir or other tool.

preditor-quitfix.zip

I had no luck with the spelling program...

Edited by Tursi

I've fixed the Classic99 bug that was causing PREditor to fail there - it was not recognizing that the two LSB were set to 00 on the F18A if they were written as 11. (Technical aside, Classic99's 80 column support is a hack and isn't perfect, but that will work in the next release).

I noticed that quitting PREditor (alt-Q) or exiting the configuration seemed to crash, and it did the same thing on my hardware. I noticed that the programs both exit by jumping directly back to the GPL Interpreter - seems to work okay from Editor/Assembler, but not XB. I made a small patch that changes it to reset the console instead, attached here (with instructions on how to apply the patch yourself if you like). The archive contains TIFILES format files, but you can easily copy them back to disk image with TI99Dir or other tool.

attachicon.gifpreditor-quitfix.zip

I had no luck with the spelling program...

Thanks! I did not experience any crashes with PrEditor, but likely because I run it exclusively from the EA cartridge. I will apply your patch tonight. I'm also going to try and scan the manual and post it here unless it's already out there.

I still think it's one of the best editors out there.

By the way, the manual states that PrEditor can take advantage of the extra 4K of RAM in the Mini Memory module, but provides absolutely no instructions on how to do so.Same thing with the extra 8K in the Supercart. One can pick either of these memory models in the configuration utility. Any idea how to load PrEditor with the Mini Memory? Nothing I tried worked...

• Like 1

Does anyone have any new program suggestions for 80 column conversion?

I know Telco has been asked for, but I'm not sure if anyone has picked this one up for modification yet. Does anyone remember?

Not being an assembly programmer, I don't know how difficult it's going to be. Besides the windowing routine having to be de-activated, I have no clue what would be involved in making it go 80 columns and still have all the modules and menus working properly.

I remember being REAL FOND of Telco! At the time I was the ONLY remaining TI user in Longview, WA... all the BBS systems were PC's. The ANSI, VT52 and VT100 emulations sure came in handy!

Actually I'm looking forward to seeing it operation for the first time in over 24 years. I'll be getting a REAL P-Box soon and will be able to see the data taken from my old working copy from 1989 that was stored away. Dano was able to read my old DSDD diskettes and back them up for me before the disks did the "Mission Impossible Routine" (self-destruct).

I got around this morning to applying the patch using DSKU and it works as advertised. I had not known about this little bug having never tried using PrEditor from XB.

Thanks again :)

• 1 month later...

Programs that exploit the F18A Video Upgrade

As of (01/01/2014)

80 Column Programs/Utilities

4A DOS / Command DOS

80 Column Display

Author: Monty Schmidt

BA-Writer

80 Columns in editor

Author: Paolo Bagnaresi

Modified By: Tursi

Boot

80 Column Display

Author: John A. Johnson

Modified By: Tursi

CF2K

80 Column Display (in ‘View’)

Author: Fred Kaal

fbForth

80 Column Display

Author: Lee Stewart

MLC “My Little Compiler”

80 Column Display and extended operations

(Most extensive use of the F18A to date)

Author: Guillaume Tello

Preditor

80 Column Display

Author: (NEED DATA HERE) - I'll edit it later!

Sector Utilities

80 Column Display

Author” John Birdwell

TI-Microsoft Multiplan (80 Column Hack)

Hacker: Unknown

Turbo Forth

80 Column Display

Author: Mark Wills

Enhanced Graphics/Games

Titanium

Extra Sprites

Author: Rasmus Moustgaard

Scramble

Enhanced Graphics

Author: Rasmus Moustgaard

I've heard some rumors about Telco being modified for F18A use, but as of 01/01/2014 it's not confirmed.

If you have any information, or updates to this list, please let us know.

• Like 1