IGNORED

F18A - 80 Column & Enhanced Graphics Supported Programs

Omega-TI

It looks like Matthew is ready to rock for 2015! He has 40 of his F18A's ready to go!

If you don't already have a super clear & crisp VGA picture, and you're not exploiting the 80 column capabilities of some programs or even playing some of the Rasmus games in enhanced graphics mode... maybe this is the time to upgrade?

*Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in this product or any business affiliation with the manufacturer/seller of this product, I just hate the thought of TI'ers suffering with old crappy video.

post-35324-0-93020300-1420139806_thumb.jpg

Has anyone tried the F18A version of BOOT? Does it present multiple menus on the screen or just one. Toggling BOOT (the original) into 80-column mode simply displays a single menu with smaller characters in the middle of the screen - a complete waste.

Yes, just smaller characters on the program selection screens, but...

gallery_35324_1027_87831.jpg

My floppy controller does not support the time functions :_(

gallery_35324_1027_46831.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I came across this interesting screen today... Now I have ZERO knowledge of the Geneve 9640, so I have no clue if this program will only work under MDOS, or if it's a stand alone program that requires an 80 column card. It does not quite look like 80 columns, but it's sure more than 40! I wonder, if this program can work on a lowly TI with an F18A? I've never seen it before.

myarc_geneve_ss9.png

That's a pure MDOS program called Directory Manager. It was part of a nice set of tools Clint Pulley wrote for MDOS. I believe he included the source code with the distribution. It was written using the MDOS version of the small c compiler.

The current source is available in the Geneve Yahoo file section together with the minor changes and executable I released based on Clint's code. ( I've used DM exclusively for file management ever since Clint released it. )

Clint did make use of some Geneve OS services though much of his code looks to be compatible syntax-wise with C99. A C expert would need to assess overall viability and would need to strip out the Geneve-specific routines specific to the OS command line interpreter and multitasking/task loading.

I ran that statement through a translation routine..

The result is: "DAMN GOOD PROGRAM"

Yes, it's a better file management program than anything written for the TI. TI file managers seem to run in slow motion after getting used to Directory Manager.

Gazoo

Yes, it's a better file management program than anything written for the TI. TI file managers seem to run in slow motion after getting used to Directory Manager.

Gazoo

Do you think this one is even remotely transportable to the TI with some bummed and altered code from MDOS or would this take a major re-write thus making it nearly impossible and not worth the effort?

"Someday" ... I see the TI with it's own suite of 80 column utilities, either individual programs or in a DOS type setting or possibly even in a GUI environment. It'll happen! When? I dunno.

• 4 months later...

The old versions of BOOT that have floating around in the wild for decades have an 80 column bug that was overlooked by previous 80 column cards. This bug has been patched by Tursi.

If you would like to run BOOT in 80 columns on your real TI-99/4A equipped with an F18A, please download the attached .ZIP file. :)

Actually the version you posted IS an older version of BOOT. The date in the version is 10/16/89. The newest version, to the best of my knowledge, is dated 12/13/89.

Missing from the posted version is the help screen:

gallery_29515_833_50406.jpg

...and the ability to load a CHARA1 file into BOOT to replace the character set.

gallery_29515_833_17489.jpg

Gazoo

• 1 month later...

Programs that exploit the extended features of the F18A

As of (08/17/2015)

80 Column Programs/Utilities

9640 Menu System (COMING SOON)

80 Column Display (All Screens)

Modified By: Tim T.

4A DOS / Command DOS

80 Column Display

Author: Monty Schmidt

BA-Writer

80 Column Display (In Editor)

Author: Paolo Bagnaresi

Modified By: Tursi

Boot

80 Column Display

Author: John A. Johnson

CF2K & DM2K

80 Column Display (in ‘View’)

Author: Fred Kaal

fbForth

80 Column Display

Author: Lee Stewart

MLC “My Little Compiler”

80 Column Display and extended operations

(Most extensive use of the F18A to date)

Author: Guillaume Tello

PrEditor

80 Column Display

Author: Tom Bentley

Sector Utilities

80 Column Display

Author” John Birdwell

TI-Microsoft Multiplan (80 Column Hack)

Hacker: Unknown

Turbo Forth

80 Column Display

Author: Mark Wills

Enhanced Graphics/Games

Titanium

Enhanced Graphics Handling (Increased Speed)

Author: Rasmus Moustgaard

TI-Scramble

Enhanced Graphics

Other Utility Programs

PAL

Color Display Enhancement (TSR)

Edited by --- Ω ---
  • Like 4

A small correction: Titanium does not have more sprites on the F18A, but it's running at almost double speed on the F18A. The reason is that Titanium is using the mode known as half-bitmap mode, which is similar to bitmap mode regarding the colors, but similar to ordinary graphics mode in the way that the same 256 patterns occupies the full screen. On the 9918A no more than 8 sprites can be displayed in half-bitmap mode - if you add more sprites they will have ghost image doubles flying around in a yet undescribed pattern. So Titanium cannot use half-bitmap mode on the 9918A, but is instead using what I call 2/3 bitmap mode. This mode is free from sprite issues, but requires double the amount of VDP RAM compared to half-bitmap mode, and this is why Titanium is running at half speed on the 9918A. The F18A does not have problems with sprites in half-bitmap mode, so here the program can run at full speed.

• Like 4

(maybe I should call it "80col" and not "F18A" in the column ?)

I would say no. My reasoning is that just because something is 80 column, does not mean it will run on the F18A.

The original list was to let people know what 80 column programs ARE specifically compatible with the F18A.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With the 80 column Multiplan hack that works with the F18A, I'm curious, has anyone ever dumped the Multiplan GROMS?

Can you imagine a 80 column cartridge with all the goodies like a Multiplan-80 an EA-Complete-80 and anything else F18A that you wanted to stick in the ROM side of the UberCart.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for, but you should be able to extract (unzip) the GROMs from the RPK file.

ms_multiplan.rpk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since Schmitzi is doing a much better and detailed job of keeping up with all the changes and additions, this will be my last update of the...

Programs that exploit the extended features of the F18A List

As of: 11/11/2015

80 Column Programs/Utilities

9640 Menu System -- NEW

80 Column Display (All Screens)

4A DOS / Command DOS

80 Column Display

Author: Monty Schmidt

BA-Writer

80 Column Display (In Editor)

Author: Paolo Bagnaresi

Modified By: Tursi

Boot

80 Column Display

Author: John A. Johnson

CF2K & DM2K

80 Column Display (in ‘View’)

Author: Fred Kaal

fbForth

80 Column Display

Author: Lee Stewart

MLC “My Little Compiler”

80 Column Display and extended operations

(Most extensive use of the F18A to date)

Author: Guillaume Tello

PrEditor

80 Column Display

Author: Tom Bentley

Sector Utilities

80 Column Display

Author” John Birdwell

TI-Microsoft Multiplan (80 Column Hack)

Hacker: Unknown

TIMXT (BETA) -- NEW

80 Column Full-Color ANSI graphics

Turbo Forth

80 Column Display

Author: Mark Wills

Enhanced Graphics/Games

Alex Kidd -- NEW

Enhanced Graphics

Author: The Mole

Titanium

Enhanced Graphics Handling (Increased Speed)

TI-Scramble

Enhanced Graphics

Other Utility Programs

PAL

Color Display Enhancement (TSR)

I look forward to seeing new utilities and other items that support this video card. Ω

• Like 1

Sure ? I would prefer going on using this thread here, because a discussion inside a PDF-file is not so easy :)

And it is very nice to scroll up & down here, with all the people writing, and exchanging experiences and ideas and so...

And my 80col-list/PDF is a byproduct only, generated with the infos I have stolen here :) or so.

And a thread´s clear content is much more easier to find from "outside", means google or so

than some inside PDF encapsulated and hidden text.... (as we need hits from outside)

Nothing of this is given in a PDF.

So, herewith, I officially request to keep this thread and your work running.... :)