IGNORED

I Swear I Used To Be Good At This Game...

DaytonaUSA

I figured this would be a fun topic. Remember that game you loved to death when you were young, but haven't really delved into in a long time? And now instead of being god of said game....ya kinda suck?

My experience today was with the SNES version of F-zero. A game I'd play for several hour bursts per sitting when I was a kid. And who's amazing title screen music would keep me entertained for nearly an hour when I didn't want to play, but wanted to further emerge myself in the unique music and worlds of my then favorite game.

Later in life f-zero x would steal the show, and become my favorite of the series, and one of my top five favorite games of all time.

I recently got back to playing f-zero x and mastering the drift mechanic with low grip cars. I always used high grip cars back in the day, probably thanks to the SNES version which didn't really encourage drifting in turns in the same way. Btw it's a blast to play with the acceleration on high, going faster in turns than in straightaways. It's like finding a new game in a game you thought you mastered. Been having the time of my life.

So I figured I'd go back and test my new found skills on my second favorite in the franchise. The SNES original. I picked Stewart as he had a low grip in X, and went off to the first cup.

Ok, wtf I suck! What happened?!

As the word REVERSE flashes on screen and those unfortunate enough to hit me as I try to pass them swirl around uncontrollably, I realize that not only have my skills nearly vanished, but that Stewart does NOT drive in this game like he does in X. Heck only after dieing four times in a row on Silence did I finally beat the damned cup, and that's without taking the short cut, which I seem to remember being much easier back in the day to navigate through...

Memories start flooding back as I remember the harder tracks later in the game as I slowly set my wavebird controller down on the couch. I'm done for the night...

What happened? I used to kick anyone's butt from here to China in the SNES game, and always came in second place in X when playing with my friends. Why has that now so grossly switched with time? Haha.

I still had fun, but it was interesting if not a little embarrassing to see all those childhood hours spent honing my skills gone to waste.

Has this happened to you? What game and at what point in time did you realize you had lost that magic touch?

I used to be able to get to the end in Contra no cheating, no 30-lives nonsense.

Now? lulz

I used to be much better at classic Mega Man games as well.

I think it is because I demand instant satisfaction. I don't like to lose. I play most games on easy these days. It has broken me as a gamer.

I for the most part stay ok at the games, and if I'm not as good as I used to be, I can get there with a little time put in.

That said I know exactly what you're talking about with F-Zero. I used to beat the Master class with ease. Same with SNES Super Mario Kart, I was a Donkey Kong king amongst other characters. However after a few years I have a hard time with the intermediate level in F-Zero, and Mario Kart I can't even stay on the course anymore. :lol:

Mike Tyson's punch out, I could relentlessly punish his ass. Took him down in round 1 once. I get my ass handed to me now on the virtual console port. I swear the flicker doesn't work the same as it did on the nes.

Ditto. I think there's something 'off' with the emulation in the VC port. Maybe it's lag or something.

I used to be able to get pretty far in RC Pro AM back in the day, but now I get my butt handed to me by the fourth or fifth race.

Super Mario Kart on the SNES is up there for me as well. I used to be able to beat that game on any difficulty no problem. Heck, my friend and I would do death matches where we'd just be shooting at each other while drifting in circles.

I can't figure out how the hell I was able to do that anymore, lol. Maybe it's these mode 7 games. I guess I've simply gotten used to how real 3d games feel. Maybe this suedo 3D movement just doesn't process for me any longer.

For me, it would be "Contra: Hard Corps" on the Genesis. I played that one a lot when I was younger, and after a few marathon sessions, I made it almost to the end with no cheating. Recently, I tried it again for the first time in years, and was mercilessly defeated. I'd forgotten how hard that game can be. I'm sure I'd get back into it if I practiced long enough, but I don't have the time these days.

Had this happen with me to a number of games also. It's most true with the memory/pattern based games, but if you don't play it on a regular basis you forget the patterns and how to do well and you have to re-learn, which takes time. Also, I have to remind myself that at the 'ripe old age' of 37 my reflexes are just not as good as they were 20-15 years ago.

I don't think a Wavebird would be a good match with F-Zero. I wouldn't be surprised if you found the going much easier with a Classic Controller and its large d-pad and shoulder buttons that are more like that of a Super Nintendo gamepad. These old Mode 7 games hold up well but several of them always take me some time to get used to them again like Super Mario Kart.

For games that I used to excel in that I've lost my ability in due to not playing them in years, the NASCAR Racing line of PC simulations from Papyrus/Sierra. I used to be able to at least hold my own against anyone that I ever raced online back in the early 2000's. But now, I struggle just to make a lap without spinning when I occasionally fire one of them up.

Atariboy, on 21 Sept 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:I don't think a Wavebird would be a good match with F-Zero. I wouldn't be surprised if you found the going much easier with a Classic Controller and its large d-pad and shoulder buttons that are more like that of a Super Nintendo gamepad. These old Mode 7 games hold up well but several of them always take me some time to get used to them again like Super Mario Kart.

For games that I used to excel in that I've lost my ability in due to not playing them in years, the NASCAR Racing line of PC simulations from Papyrus/Sierra. I used to be able to at least hold my own against anyone that I ever raced online back in the early 2000's. But now, I struggle just to make a lap without spinning when I occasionally fire one of them up.
I hate the classic pad, but youre right. The Wavebird was a poor choice. I played it on my new Wii U Wind Waker system and the digital triggers were perfect.

Call me crazy but i like the small dpad on the gc. Though the Wii U's is just as nice.

I used to kick ass at "Mike Tyson's Punch Out" and now I have trouble with Mr. Sandman. But now I'm playing on emulator and I blame either my LCD monitor or some other lag for not being able to dodge Sandman's triple uppercut. Lag isn't a big deal in most games but it's a killer here. I also suck at the original "Castlevania" now. When I was a kid I beat this game over and over. Now I can barely get past Frankenstein and have trouble reaching the Grim Reaper. But that's probably just me, not the emulator.

On the other hand, I was never able to beat "Crash Bandicoot" back in the day on a real PS1 and I finally beat it in emulation. That felt good.

Edited by mbd30

Showing my 5 yr old boy the classics, as any good parent should, I was replaying SNES Super Mario World & having a hell of a time getting past one of the places on the ledge in the cave, I frustratedly said "I swear I used to be WAY better than this" as I died repeatedly, & my son stated "yeah, it's a lot harder now that you're older, huh Dad!"

Funny enough I beat Bowser in SMW way back when, doubtful I'll be able to ever do it again for my boys.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 2

That when you hand him lost levels and say here ya go smart ass.

Showing my 5 yr old boy the classics, as any good parent should, I was replaying SNES Super Mario World & having a hell of a time getting past one of the places on the ledge in the cave, I frustratedly said "I swear I used to be WAY better than this" as I died repeatedly, & my son stated "yeah, it's a lot harder now that you're older, huh Dad!"

• Like 3

I hate the classic pad, but youre right. The Wavebird was a poor choice. I played it on my new Wii U Wind Waker system and the digital triggers were perfect.

Call me crazy but i like the small dpad on the gc. Though the Wii U's is just as nice.

The GameCube's d-pad is definitely serviceable although I prefer a large one. I had in mind more the shoulder buttons though that are so crucial to succeeding in F-Zero. The longer throw of the analog triggers on a GameCube controller like on the Wavebird would be less than ideal for F-Zero in my opinion. The SuperNes style digital shoulder buttons that the Classic Controller largely replicates allow for faster reaction.

But perhaps that's just me. I found my Wavebird lacking for the whole Virtual Console other than the N64 downloads.

Edited by Atariboy

I'm a better gamer now than I was back in the day, so my performance has improved across the board. However, it does take a few rounds to get back up to my potential. I'm likely to get owned after only a few minutes of any game I haven't played in more than a month. Give me an hour at it, though, and I'll be kicking tail.

• 3 months later...

When I seriously toned down the amount of games I played (taking a break, so to say) between '06 and '09 or so, when I came back at full force and tried playing fast-paced, eye-hand coordination-heavy games I once was able to rock, I had a really hard time with them. NES games like Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, even a couple Mega Man games. However, with a little practice it all eventually came back to me, and I'd argue I'm better at all of those games now than I was before.