IGNORED

Atari 5200 With No Video

fwfriend

Hello everyone! I've got a question about an Atari 5200 I recently picked up on craigslist. It's a 4-port model and came with all of the appropriate cords and stuff. I took it home and hooked it up and I could not get it to send a signal to the television. Curiously, the red light does come on the console itself, so I believe it is getting power, but the television does not display a signal at all. I tried on a couple of different TVs and got the same results. Wiggling the cord doesn't help either.

I read on another forum thread here that the switchbox itself makes a "clicking sound" when you power up the console. However, I didn't hear any sound when I powered mine up. It does, however, allow another console to pass through it via the antennae plug in, and does display that video signal.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? I was assured by the previous owner that the console worked the last time he plugged it in. If it is indeed the switchbox, does anyone have a homemade one that I can buy from them? My solderng skills are not up to par with creating one from scratch.

Thanks and I look forward to your responses!

Edited by fwfriend

I have to check, since you didn't mention it - did you have a cartridge plugged in when you turned the console on?

These old systems don't display anything without a cartridge inserted, and really shouldn't be turned on without a cart in it.

People used to newer systems may not realize this, and I bet it happens more often than we'd think.

• Like 1

I did have a cartridge in -- Dig Dug -- and it didn't work. However, I think the link about the chip is the route I'll go. There's an electronic store that I believe might have the part. I'll replace it and report back. Thanks for the suggestion!

The chip is soldered in, if you didn't open the switch to look yet.

It is not hard to replace, but you do need the proper tools to unsolder and replace it.

Just a heads up.

Well, I received the replacement chips today and soldered one into place (I got five for $2.50). Anyway, it still doesn't work. Atari is still getting power, but there's still no image on screen with a cartridge plugged in. I don't even see a change in the snow. I am also not getting that "clicking" sound from the switch box itself that indicates it is working. Again, it works fine as a pass through for other consoles. At this point, I'm thinking it might be the Atari itself, but I don't have another box to test it with. Does the switch box have to make that sound or are there some that are quiet? If it is the Atari, any suggestions on where I can look?

I'm not that technical and I've already invested around $40, so I might just write it off before I spend too much money on it. Do you think it's worth fixing? I own an Atari 400 with a RAM upgrade, so I believe most of the 5200 library is available on that. But I love the aesthetic look and feel of the 5200.

It should click. It should also click if you have the power supply plugged in when you insert the tip into the switch. Probably spark too. The switch may have more wrong with it than the chip...

Sounds like the transistor that fires the relay might have failed.

• 3 weeks later...