IGNORED

How to get a ZX Spectrum computer up and running in the U.S.?...

ataridave

The ZX Spectrum is my #1 most-wanted import system (or computer). But I've seen a video on hooking it up here in the USA, and it doesn't look pretty!:

He get's it up and running just fine, but, as he says, it looks like it's on life support! Is there an easier way, for example, if I had a region-free/multiregion TV? And, is it any different with the Spectrum 128K?

Edited by ataridave

I've got a ZX +2a running on a 1084S. Works great, but did require a bit of modding of the monitor and a custom cable before it would sync. Just used an off the shelf step up transformer to handle the power, though a cleaner solution would be to customize an existing power supply to connect to the socket on the ZX.

I've got a ZX +2a running on a 1084S. Works great, but did require a bit of modding of the monitor and a custom cable before it would sync. Just used an off the shelf step up transformer to handle the power, though a cleaner solution would be to customize an existing power supply to connect to the socket on the ZX.

I've got a +2 that I also made a custom cable and used with a 1084s. These days though I use an RGB Scart cable for it along with my XRGB-mini :)

• Like 1

I think it was just tying the sync lines together. I could have done it in the cable, but it was easier to just crack the back of the monitor and do it there.

That would be beyond my technical abilities! What about the PAL to NTSC converter? How expensive are those, and would that be the best option with a mutli-system/region CRT TV?

Is there an easier way, for example, if I had a region-free/multiregion TV? And, is it any different with the Spectrum 128K?

Well, if you have a TV that is truly multi-region, it should work..

Also, a monitor that is truly multi-region would probably work via composite if you mod the specy...

http://womblesretrorepairshack.blogspot.com/2008/11/zx-spectrum-composite-video-mod.html

But I wonder how truly multi-region the monitors/TVs are..

I believe (and I'm iffy on this, but) the difference in PAL and NTSC is actually 2 differences..

1, the sync issue. 50 vs 60... So you have a TV/monitor that will support both, the pic should display..

2, the color (or colour.. ;-) ) issue. I believe the color is carried differently (encoding?) between the 2 systems, so you might end up with a monochrome signal...

I've heard that video capture cards can frequently handle both, but you might (will?) end up with a delay..

desiv

Edited by desiv
  • Like 1

The reviewer seemed to indicate that the ZX Spectrum is harder to get working over here then are other PAL computers or game consoles-is this true? Is there something about the ZX Spectrum that makes it more difficult to use in an NTSC country?

The 48K he's talking about will need surgery for that composite video conversion because there's nothing else coming out of the machine for video that'll work out of the box in the US. The later, Amstrad-built machines are possibly less "authentic" but easier to work with; there are joystick ports on the side (they're not wired up to the Atari 9 pin "standard", but a cheap crossover lead fixes that), AY sound from a standard headphone style jack and they kick out RGB which can be run to SCART as long as the telly will take a 50Hz signal or passed through something like a GBS-8200 to get VGA.

• Like 1

The 48K he's talking about will need surgery for that composite video conversion because there's nothing else coming out of the machine for video that'll work out of the box in the US. The later, Amstrad-built machines are possibly less "authentic" but easier to work with; there are joystick ports on the side (they're not wired up to the Atari 9 pin "standard", but a cheap crossover lead fixes that), AY sound from a standard headphone style jack and they kick out RGB which can be run to SCART as long as the telly will take a 50Hz signal or passed through something like a GBS-8200 to get VGA.

By later machines, do you mean the Amstrad CPC, or some Amstrad Spectrum model? And is the ZX Spectrum 128K any easier to use in an NTSC country?

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that site! Thanks for the link! It seems like the model with the tape cassette recorder built-in would be the best one to get. AFIK, the vast majority of Spectrum games came out on tape cassette.

Plus, while you can get some very cool things like the divIDE to load games into your Spectrum - you can also use one of these to do it the very cheap but slow way :D

cassette-adapter-small.jpg

• Like 1

The ZX Spectrum is problematic enough in PAL regions, let alone North America.

I have a black +2 model and a DivIDE interface with a built-in Kempston. The +2 has the benefit of RGB output and if you get the grey one you can use a 9v DC mains adaptor (or so I'm led to understand).

One thing to bear in mind is that a stand-alone Kempston can be quite bulky. The stand-alone Kempston I have is so big it obstructs the power socket and I can't plug in the PSU (that's where the 9v DC would come in handy). DivIDE is a great device with some great features (including save-states), but the compatibility level is very low; if you download 10 files at random, you'll be lucky if three of them work without any problems.

Another thing that's worth investing in is a 4-6 way extension lead with individual power switches. Most Spectrum models don't have an on/off switch and the extension lead would make up for that.

There's only one way to enjoy the Spectrum without any complications and that's to use an emulator.

• Like 1

The ZX Spectrum is problematic enough in PAL regions, let alone North America.

I have a black +2 model and a DivIDE interface with a built-in Kempston. The +2 has the benefit of RGB output and if you get the grey one you can use a 9v DC mains adaptor (or so I'm led to understand).

One thing to bear in mind is that a stand-alone Kempston can be quite bulky. The stand-alone Kempston I have is so big it obstructs the power socket and I can't plug in the PSU (that's where the 9v DC would come in handy). DivIDE is a great device with some great features (including save-states), but the compatibility level is very low; if you download 10 files at random, you'll be lucky if three of them work without any problems.

Another thing that's worth investing in is a 4-6 way extension lead with individual power switches. Most Spectrum models don't have an on/off switch and the extension lead would make up for that.

There's only one way to enjoy the Spectrum without any complications and that's to use an emulator.

Thanks for all that info! Does the +2 have any compatibility issues? I've used an emulator on the website World of Spectrum, but only certain programs/games are available/legal. I'm not afraid of getting arrested or anything like that, but I don't want to do anything that violates any laws with my hobby.

Here's an interesting Russian/Soviet Spectrum clone that I just saw on Ebay: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FVINTAGE-RUSSIAN-SOVIET-Computer-OREL-BK-08-Sinclair-ZX-SPECTRUM-CLONE-RARE-%2F221283263968%3Fpt%3DUS_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes%26hash%3Ditem338582a5e0

I have no idea what the ports on the back are.

• Like 1

Does the +2 have any compatibility issues?

I haven't personally experienced any compatibility issues beyond what I've already mentioned with the DivIDE, but the +2 is thought to be quite erratic with some of the earlier 16/48K software because those titles take up an area of RAM that the Amstrad Spectrums are unable to access. I'm led to understand that the grey +2 has slightly better compatibility than the black one.

The only downside with the grey +2 is that it doesn't have a tape connector at the back which means you can't connect an external tape deck or stream TZX files from your PC.

• Like 1