IGNORED

How to get a ZX Spectrum computer up and running in the U.S.?...

ataridave

I haven't personally experienced any compatibility issues beyond what I've already mentioned with the DivIDE, but the +2 is thought to be quite erratic with some of the earlier 16/48K software because those titles take up an area of RAM that the Amstrad Spectrums are unable to access. I'm led to understand that the grey +2 has slightly better compatibility than the black one.

The only downside with the grey +2 is that it doesn't have a tape connector at the back which means you can't connect an external tape deck or stream TZX files from your PC.

I believe there is a mod for the grey +2 to add tape connectors to the back of the unit.

I have a grey +2 and simply used a Radio Shack DC power adapter. The computer powers up fine but it didn't work with my old TV/monitor so it's basically sat in storage ever since.

• Like 1

There are several FPGA Spectrum projects out there. Most just run on a development board.

YMMV as to accurate timing though.

http://www.mike-stirling.com/2011/09/128k-zx-spectrum-on-fpga-loads-from-sd-card/#comments

http://joco.homeserver.hu/zxpipi/

• Like 1

I haven't personally experienced any compatibility issues beyond what I've already mentioned with the DivIDE, but the +2 is thought to be quite erratic with some of the earlier 16/48K software because those titles take up an area of RAM that the Amstrad Spectrums are unable to access. I'm led to understand that the grey +2 has slightly better compatibility than the black one.

The only downside with the grey +2 is that it doesn't have a tape connector at the back which means you can't connect an external tape deck or stream TZX files from your PC.

Gotcha! Regarding the RF out on the 48K that was mentioned in the video; would that work with the coaxial port on a multi-region TV? Or would the AV mod still be the only way to go.

Gotcha! Regarding the RF out on the 48K that was mentioned in the video; would that work with the coaxial port on a multi-region TV? Or would the AV mod still be the only way to go.

I'm not in a position to advise you on the NTSC issues, but the picture and sound quality that comes from the RGB scart is amazing and beyond anything you would have thought possible on the Spectrum. RF is a joke even in the UK.

If you don't get a Spectrum with RGB output (or the RGB is no good in the US), I would go for the AV mod. I have no experience with AV on the Spectrum but it's bound to be a lot better than the RF.

• Like 1

I'm not in a position to advise you on the NTSC issues, but the picture and sound quality that comes from the RGB scart is amazing and beyond anything you would have thought possible on the Spectrum. RF is a joke even in the UK.

If you don't get a Spectrum with RGB output (or the RGB is no good in the US), I would go for the AV mod. I have no experience with AV on the Spectrum but it's bound to be a lot better than the RF.

Yeah, I would go with the AV mod. I would buy it already modded, since I don't have the skills to do it myself.

• 3 months later...

That's how it's pronounced in Britain and Canada. Here, we just call it "that piece of shit."

I know!, Imagine the country that gave the world this language using the correct pronunciation-what a shower of inconsiderate bastards!!!!

But I digress-It is still a piece of shit, but a useful piece of shit-ever had a door that you need propped open?, pop a spectrum under it-problem solved!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

IIRC, In order of 48K compatibility, I believe the "Toast Rack" (Sinclair-made with heat-sink) 128 is most compatible but this model had more problems loading from cassettes than the later 128s.

The Grey 128 is next, the later Black model is (supposedly) less compatible and the +3 least compatible.

I believe this was due evolutionary to changes in the system ROM made by Amstrad.

Back in the day, I went from owning a rubber-keyed 48K Spectrum to a Grey 128 and never had a problem with any of the games or programs I owned.

I might've been lucky but I don't remember having a single issue.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well, I've had an iPad Air for almost a month now, and I just purchased and downloaded the first ZX Spectrum Elite Collection. Really fun games! The controls aren't perfect, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper then actually buying a Spectrum computer and trying to get it to run here.

Oh that's the whole fun of it solving the problem..

I just picked one up on Amibay since the GBP to US dollar was very

reasonable so if you have not picked one up now might be the time..

In France, there is a common accessory that pick up video from the edge conenctor and output RGB. I dunno how common it is outside of here, but about half of the Spectrums I see for sale here come with it :

spectrum-copie-1.jpg

Mybe there is a way to find a copy or an equivalent of the schematics to make a copy of it?

• Like 1

If I understand correctly, the Spectrum 16/48K has a YUV signal on the expansion port. Probably the box converts this signal to analog RGB:

http://faqwiki.zxnet.co.uk/wiki/ZX_Spectrum_16K/48K_edge_connector

The later Spectrum 128 and +2 (grey model with 9V DC input) have RGB TTL on a separate connector. Please note that the +2A (black model with DIN power input) and +3 instead have analog RGB on the connector, with a slightly different pinout so anyone getting a RGB cable for their Spectrum must know which model it is meant for.

http://mts.speccy.cz/doc/128_rgb.pdf

I'm sure somewhere there is a full compatibility list on software. It appears the Spectrum 128 is the most expensive of them all, so for that purpose you might want a +2 or +2A instead.

• Like 1

Yep, the schematics read as Video YUV, so this mean that one would jsut need to make a YUV to RGB converter, or a YUV to composite video (PAL/SECAM/NTSC... You choose! Note that depending on the display, it can be possible to make something like NTSC50, if one own a TV that can display 50 hertz but no PAL chroma)

Or a straight connection to YUV able display, if the video signal is in the right format?

Edited by CatPix

Most LCD screens will accept both ntsc and pal on most the inputs (all of mine will do it on component, composite, rf AND one will accept it on the VGA port as rgb)

With a system that takes DC power it should be the easiest in history to cross the TV pond

• Like 2